Gastroenterology Community
Bowel Movements

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bowel Movements

I sometimes (about once a month, use to be a lot more) get very intense pains that start under my ribs and grumble and move down into my lower stomach and when they are really bad I get the pain all the way down to my anus. The pain comes like contractions and only stops once I am able to have a bowel movement. My bowel movement can not be forced so I have to put up with the crippling pain. The bowel movement is often very loose but not always.
I have also noticed a change in my bowel movements, they are hard and sometimes hard to pass. I eat loads of green vegetables and fruit, whole grain cereal, protien and a little dairy, I also drink a lot of water and my caffine intake is low, I can't figure out where I am going wrong.
Your pain is worse shortly after the meal? If this is the case, all other you've described speaks for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). In IBS, your bowel gets irritated with certain foods.

You can try:
1. Eliminate one whole group of foods for a week (all fruits, then all vegetables, then all diary products...), or chocolate, or anything other, and observe, if your bowel movements improve. This way you'll find the culprit food. All fruits/vegetables/grains you eat produce a lot of gas, so maybe this is not the most appropriate diet in your case, but experiment with this.
2. IBS is closely related to stress (strong emotions, worries, workload...). Solving some conflict, arranging something what bothers you...maybe it's this.