Gastroenterology Community
Bowel Resection

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bowel Resection

I will be having a resection within the next few weeks due to very large pre-cancerous polyps. Has anyone gone through anything like this recently?
Hi.  Sorry you have to have this surgery.  I had a resection of the sigmoid portion of the colon a year ago in January.  Mine was due to multiple episodes of diverticultis which did not respond to meds.  Mine was done hand assisted lapro so I did not have to have a "bag".  My advice is that everyone heals differently and the time span seems to be different for everyone. Hope this helps.
I also had bowel resection, mine was mostly small intestine and a small part of the large intestine.  I have chrons and had developed a fistula between the bladder and deseased small intestine.  

I too had had assist lapo.  Although I resisted having a resection it is a God send that I did.  They found early colon cancer in the wadded up deseased small intestine.  
It was an incedental find, they had no idea that there was any cancer there.  It was caught early enough that I did not have any other treatment.  This was 2 years this coming end of June.  I had surgery was in the hospital for 7 days due to the fact that I was anemic and the surgery was more extensive than he thought it would be.  However, he did complete it with lapo of which I was glad.  I was back at work a week after I got out of the hospital and have had not problems.  I saw my oncologist once every 3 months for the first year and 1/2 and now see her every 4 months.  She told me that if they had found the cancer that they would have removed it as was done in the surgery.

Good luck to both of you.
Thanks for your responses. Second colonoscopy tomorrow and then can schedule the surgery. I'll keep you posted. This is all new to me and I may need some support......

Barry
Keep us posted and best of luck.

Five years ago I underwent a total colectomy for torrential diverticular bleeding.  In response to another Medhelp patient I recorded my experience on the following Medhelp posting:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

Please do come back with any further questions you may have.

Good luck
Morecambe
Thank you for the referral to your past postings. Very helpful. Had another colonoscopy this morning. Colonectomy is definite now. I meet with the surgeon on Monday Feb 23rd for consultation and scheduling of the surgery. I'll keep ya posted! Thanks for your help! I'm not too anxious about all of this.......

Barry585
Hi Barry
I had a colon resection in Sept for a large precancerous growth.  I was fortunate in that it was not cancer, and I did not have to have a colostomy.  The thing I was not prepared for was the post op pain.  I thought I would breeze thru the surgery, and be back at work in a month.  It didnt happen.  Its a slower recovery than I expected, but have now fully recovered and doing well.  I wish you all the best...Bernice