Bowel movement changes after sigmoid colectomy
What changes in bowel movements can I expect after sigmoid colectomy. Its been six weeks since my surgery and I am troubled with constipation. Something I never had before surgery.

This discussion is related to What to expect after surgery?.
Hi.  I had the same procedure done last January.  I had 7 inches of my sigmoid colon removed due to multiple episodes of diverticulits that would not respond to antibiotics.  I can tell you there is some light at the end of the tunnel.  Has your doc or surgeon recommend you start on fiber to help with constipation?  I was about 4 weeks out when I did, prior to that it was too irritating.  Now I eat a high fiber diet and take Citrucell daily and have returned to normal for me 1-2 normal bms a day.  Also, if I feel constipatated, I drink Prune juice.  That helps too.  Take care.
Ray, I hope your constipation has resolved.  My father has the opposite problem- watery stool- he really is in no condition to leave the house.  3 months since surgery- help- his daughters struggling to provide and manage the care of this 78 year old man who is very stubborn and seems to not realize how difficult his care is.  That's the other side of the coin- mental changes in elderly patients after surgery and drugs and painkillers, etc.