Gastroenterology Community
Bowel movements

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bowel movements

I have stool that is thin in size.  Does this mean my intestine are layered/or lined with fecal plaque?  Is the stool suppose to float or sink?   My stool is slightly larger than a regular pencil.  May the size of two pencils.  I am trying Stanley Burrough colen cleanse.  I like your thoughts on the above.
No it does not mean your colon is lined with plaque. It means you're probably experiencing bowel spasms. The stool typically sinks.
I am not experiencing bowel  spasms.  My stool is very thin.  All stool doesn't sink.  Some floats.  It has been think for two years now.
Get this checked out by a dr.  An obstruction can cause stool to become pencil-like thin.

Good luck.
Thypatient is right,an obstruction can cause stool to become pencil-like thin. It may even cause your stools to be on the loose side.
As for poop floating or sinking... I found this onpooreport.com

Conventional medical wisdom attributes Floaters to the amount of fat in your poop. While this IS true for certain diseases (cystic fibrosis, celiac disease, biliary atresia, abetalipoprotenimia and a few other weird sounding illnesses), it is NOT true for your run-of-the-mill healthy person.

Vegetarians would have you believe that the "perfect" stool (that is, one uncontaminated by the consumption of animal parts) is the Floater. Many vegetarians have spent their entire lives in the quest to produce perfection -- when in fact no particular diet can reliably produce Floaters. The vast majority of us bring forth Sinkers.

Sinkers really need a good P.R. person -- they have gotten a bad rap over the ages. Sure, Floaters are cute and all, but a good solid Sinker will never let you down.

BACK TO WHAT MAKES POOP FLOAT...

Actually, it is gas that does it. Increased levels of air and gas in the poop make it less dense, and cause it to float. Simple as that. Dietary changes can lead to an increase in the amount of gas produced by the bacteria that live in the gut, which is probably what the vegetarians are basing their whole "perfect stool" theory on. I don't know -- the whole time I was vegan I never consistently produced Floaters.

Then, after a couple of years, I grew disenchanted and yearned for a hamburger. And that was the end of Poonurse the Vegetarian.

WHY DOES IT MATTER?

Well, I'm a little unclear on that. It must matter greatly to a lot of people, or else they wouldn't take so much time to write to me about it. I guess it could matter if you are worried that you are sick or something.

If you have diarrheal-esque Floaters for more than two weeks, you may have a malabsorption problem -- a dysfunction of the GI tract that affects the body's ability to digest and absorb fat. Acute gastrointestinal infections can also result in increased gas content in the intestines, due to rapid movement of stool through the GI tract.

SO WHAT?

So I am forced to assume that Floaters are NOT the most desirable of all stools. Sinkers are by far more common. Don't spend your life chowing down on tofu burgers just because you think you are being cheated out of a Floater. Neither tofu burgers nor Floaters are worth the trouble. Sinkers are our destiny.
If you are having  other tummy problems along with this pencil thin BM you may have IBS. You can go to web MD and do a symptom check and it will tell you which diseases or illnesses have your symptoms and it will start with the most likely and end at the least likely. That is the only way to get a totally objective opinion.
Good luck