GASTROENTEROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Bowels won't move
by ladonna918, Dec 27, 2007
I have been taking laxatives for about 10 years now.  I recently began using enemas.  I have had constipation problems all of my life.  I used to pass out as a child because I couldn't go.  I now take (directions from my doctor) Bentyl three times a day and two Phillips M.O.M. twice per day.  That slowly began not working so I decided on my own to take two colon cleansers twice a day.  The doctor said that was alright.  Now, that's not working.  I'm so scared that my bowels will stop working and I don;'t know what to do.  I drink water.  I have tried countless medications from the doctor and over the counter.  I've had every test you can have.  I know you can't diagnose me, but I'm curious if all else fails where do I go from here?  I mean if your bowels won't move for you, what then?  I've heard not to get dependant on laxatives, but it's been all that works.  I also suffer from Fibromyalgia and I'm sure that probably lends to a large amount of the problem, but I still don't know what to do about it.  HELP......PLEASE!!!!
by versagal, Dec 30, 2007
Looks like you've tried just about everything to stay regular. I have a
similar problem with regularity and constipation. Laxatives only work
for short periods and shouldn't be taken regularly, as you have learned.

Something I have tried that might help is Aloe Vera Gel. (Not pills)
You can buy a bottle from a health food store. Directions for taking it are on the
bottle. It is not a laxative, but seems to heal and lubricate and soften
your bowel movements.  Just add a tablespoon of the Aloe Vera Gel
to a glass of orange juice or prune juice and drink once a day.
Give it a few days to start working.  Good Luck!
by ladonna918, Dec 31, 2007
Thank you very much for your advice.  I will definitely try this.  I'll let you know how it goes.
by Morecambe, Jan 01, 2008

Your problem sounds similar to that of a patient who posted a question in the "ask a doctor" part of this forum back in August 2007.  Her nickname was mifegr.  I sent back several messages to her.  Maybe it would be helpful to read all the messages and think about whether the suggested surgery that has been suggested for her could be relevant to you.

Good luck
Morecambe