Breastfed Infant with Chronic Diarrhea
Hi-
My 4 month old has had diarrhea for several months now and I cannot figure out what could be causing it. She had been to the pediatrician several times, and was hospitalized with a virus at 3 months old (an Enterovirus that caused severe diarrhea and vomiting leading to dehydration). My question is, What could be causing her loose stools now? She has only liquid in her stools- no substance at all- and up to 6-8 times/day. She is not losing weight, but not really gaining now either. She has never had solids. I was infected with Salmonella food poisoning several times while pregnant with her (the Peter Pan peanut butter recall last year), but it seems a long stretch that she would have problems from that. Shouldn't there be some substance to her stools besides pure liquid? She is our seventh child and the others were all breastfed. While their stools weren't formed, they were typical breastfed stools with milk curds in them with some pastiness (between toothpaste and gel consistency). Any help is appreciated.
Thank You!
Food allergy or sensitivity?? Have you eliminated allergens from your diet for 2 weeks at a time or longer to see if that makes a difference? She may be allergic to nuts, dairy, eggs or other allergens in your diet.