Gastroenterology Community
Burning Stools!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Burning Stools!

After using the toilet, I always have a burning pain around my anus. It's very uncomfortable and the pains can stay around from 10mins up to an hour. Sometimes the pain can come randomly as well which I don't really understand? Occasionally the area can get quite itchy as well.
I've used moisturizer around the area, to soothe the pain, this doesn't do much.
I've had the problem for nearly a month now, I thought it would eventually go away but it hasn't! Please help!
Many thanks
x
You've probably got hemorrhoids, very common, which they are little swollen blood vessel tissue that comes from straining as a result of constipation.  Eventually they shrink and go away.  To make this happen faster and to treat your condition, I have some suggestions.

To prevent constipation, which is stool that passes too slowly through the intestinal tract due to being dried out and not having enough fiber in it, you should always drink extra water, exercise regularly, and eat fiber foods (oat cereal, wheat bread, salads).  Also, be sure to get enough to eat, and cut back for a while on heavy meats like steaks.  You can also eat "probiotics" for a couple weeks which are in Acidophilus milk or Activia yogurt at the grocery, they help break down waste.  You want to get your waste where it just comes right on out when you have the urge to go, without pushing real hard.  Then the hemorrhoids will shrink all by themselves and heal up.

To treat what you got in the meantime, daily after you shower, apply plain KY jelly from the drugstore on the area, do this for several weeks, it does a much better job of reducing chaffing than the lotion you've been using.  Also, after you go, gently "final clean" with a damp tissue and then apply a little more KY, or bring baby wipes with you if you're out and about.  Keeping the area clean and moist with the water-based jell will make passage of waste and the aftermath much more comfortable for you.

If you want to, you can try out some Preparation H, which they advertise on TV, it's an ointment that shrinks hemorrhoid tissues at the drugstore.  If you use that, just try it out maybe twice a week after a shower, just before you put the KY jelly on.  It's oily and won't provide the same chaffing protection of daily KY, but it will help get those tissues shrunken up faster.  Just use the Prep H ointment for a couple weeks.