Gastroenterology Community
Burping, Diverticulosis, Upper Ab pain,

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Burping, Diverticulosis, Upper Ab pain,

I am a 25 year old male.  In August 2007, I was rushed to hospital on an ambulance and experiencing severe pain (I couldn't even walk) in my lower left abdomin (abdomen).  It turns out I had diverticulosis.  I was in hospital for nearly two weeks and was 'nil by mouth' for five days.  My condition is relatively under control.

Here is my question.  In November 2007, I had a week off work because I was experiencing severe stomach pain just under my rip cage.  I went to the doctor, and he said it wasn't the diverticulosis flaring up and sent me home to rest and said "it's just a bug" without any checks or asking very many questions.

Ever since then I have this problem with burping.  It seems to be at it's worst after I put ANYTHING in my mouth.  Water, fruit, vegetables, junk food, ANYTHING!  The burps are really big and sometimes it's constant for a a minute or two, almost like hiccups.  Then as time goes (after I've put whatever in my mouth and swallowed) it dies down, but I still burp at least four or five times an hour.

I wake people up in the middle of the night if they are sleeping in the same room at night.  I don't want to go back to the doctor because they probably won't do much.  (The doctors in New Zealand are pretty useless if you ask me, they're not very thorough).

So guess my question is, what should I do?  Ignore the problem.  It's not almost a year since I had the problem.  It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse so should I be concerned???  I thought it might be a stomach ulcer?  Not sure!  HELP!!

Thanks guys :)
Ask the doc for an H. pylori test. If it's positive you have to be treated for that and possibly for acid reflux - and you probably should be scoped if you are positive for H. pylori since this has gone on so long.

If there's any history of gallbladder issues in your family, you may want to check into the possibility of gallbladder issues.

Don't feel bad - I think there are many of us around the world who don't hold a number of docs in high regard.