Gastroenterology Community
Burping and Asthma
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Burping and Asthma

My son, now 13, has suffered from mild persistent asthma since he was 20 months old.  He has also suffered from burping a lot since this same age.  I know that the two are related somehow.  His burping does not appear to be gastroesophogal, that is, coming from the esophagus, but from deeper down.  His burps are large and airy, and at times make him feel nauseous.

We went to a homeopath who said that since both asthma and the burping are movements of air in the body, that they are related.  He gave him some homeopathetic medicine which did relief the burping somewhat, but after he stopped taking it, the problem returned just as bad.  

The burping is worse during episodes of asthma and whenever he drinks cow's milk.  Dairy has produced asthma attacks as well.

Any advice or ideas?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
It definitely sounds like your son could be lactose intolerant. Or at least lactose sensitive. This would definitely cause the bloated feeling and/or belching he gets. Does he ever have diarrhea after drinking or eating anything with dairy in it? As far as asthma I am not surprised if it gets worse when he has lots of gas. Asthma can be triggered by anxiety and it is possible he gets more anxious when he is full of gas and belching.

Do any foods trigger it or just milk?
Blank
I agree that he has some lactose intolerance.  Ice cream and cow's milk in particular trigger burping and/or asthma itself.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...