Gastroenterology Community
Burps that smell like feces

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Burps that smell like feces

For the last three weeks, off and on, I have been having burps that smell like feces. I read on Webmd.com and a few other sources that this only usually happens if a person has been vomiting. Which I have not been. The first time it happened was when I'd eaten out at a restaurant. The food pretty much soured in my stomach and gave me severe diahhrea as well as the horrible smelling burps. Now it seems that it's basically on a whim when this will happen. I don't know what will cause me to burp up this smell or why. Some things seem to do it, some don't, and I'm not clear on what exactly IS doing it. I don't understand what's causing my burps to smell/taste like this, and it's making me feel really sick, just by smell and taste. I was originally on Nexium for my acid reflex, but haven't taken it in at least four months or more. Any ideas?
Sounds like it could be an infection. Perhaps your food is not digesting properly...maybe the Nexium worked too well?

I would go and see a doctor to make sure it isn't something serious.
When I read the part about the first time it happened, it sounded like food poisoning...that's why I'm thinking along the lines of a bacterial infection.
You may want to consider asking your doc to check you for the presence of H. pylori. If that's been done and you're negative, it may be time to request an upper endoscopy to check out the physical status of you esophagus, stomach and upper duodenum.
That how I have feeling did you ever figure it out???
You probably need to get to your md quickly.  I had surgery for twisted colon 5 wks ago.  Recovery is not fun, but if your burps smell like stool or you taste stool something could be blocked or twisted.  And  me emergency surgery @ 5am and losing half your colon is not fun.
I had this same issue. Doctor administered a "Breathing Test" and results shoed I had a bacterial overload in my small intestines. 1 week of HD Antibiotics and I'm all good..