Gastroenterology Community
C. Diff and a UTI

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

C. Diff and a UTI

I have just finished a 14 day course of Vancomycin for a C. Diff. infection.  I also have had a UTI that is caused by 2 bacteria--the Vancomycin should have taken care of one of those.  However, the e.coli bacteria that came back positive on the lab sample has remained untreated due to the C. Diff.  It has been asymptomatic until the last few days.  

Is there any safe way to treat the UTI when I may or may not still have C. Diff.  For now, the only relief I get is drinking lots of water and cranberry juice--which results in many trips to the bathroom.  If I don't drink water, it becomes quite miserable.  The doctor says he cannot test for the presence of C. Diff. until I have been off Vancomycin for 2 weeks.  Even still I really do not want to take another antibiotic now.
Tags: C. Diff, uti
Got cdiff but no diarrhea why? I'm 20 weeks pregnant and scared to death.