CIRRHOSIS DIAGNOSIS WITH PROPER LIVER FUNCTION?
I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH CIRRHOSIS OF THE LIVER THE QUESTION I HAVE IS THIS. I HAVE HEP C SYSTEMIC LUPUS AND CRYOGLOBULINEMIA(VASCULITIS) NOW FIRST I WENT TO MY HEPATOLIGIST AND HE TOLD ME MY LIVER WAS FUNCTIONING FINE THEY DID SOME TEST WHERE THEY PUT A SMALL INSTRUMENT ON THE OUTSIDE OF MY ABDOMEN AND RIGHT SIDE IT ONLY TOOK A FEW MIN AND WAS PAINLESS THEN HE COMES OUT WITH THIS NUMBER 45 AND SAYS MY LIVER IS WORKING FINE. A FEW DAYS LATER I GET A CALL ASKING ME TO GO FOR AN ULTRASOUND AND THAT MY DOC WOULD HAVE THE RESULTS IN A FEW DAYS.FOR SOME REASON MY FAMILY DOC DIDN'T GET THEM SO I CALLED THE HEPATOLOGY CLINIC AND THEY TOLD ME I HAD CIRRHOSIS OF THE LIVER? IS THAT NOT FOUND BY BIOPSY? I HAD ONE ABOUT 2YRS AGO AND THEY SAID I WAS IN STAGE 2. MY QUESTION IS HOW CAN IT BE WORKING FINE WITH CIRRHOSIS AND HOW CAN THEY DIAGNOSE IT WITHOUT BIOPSY? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO ME
Hi there!

Cirrhosis of the liver is diagnosed by biopsy and the liver function may remain normal in the early stages. I would suggest discussing the situation and the management plan in detail with your treating hepatologist.
Hope this is helpful.
Take care!