Gastroenterology Community
COLON SURGERY GONE WRONG

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

COLON SURGERY GONE WRONG

I went to my GI doctor for a Colonoscopy. The doctor found 4 polyps, 3 were removed the last I was told I would need surgery to have it removed. I went and had the polyp removed, 2 days later I was back in the hospital running a 103.0 fever and terrible pains where they took out the polyp. I was told that my colon was leaking all my fecal waste into my stomach. I ended up on a respirator for 3 weeks and was told that I almost died. I have a 16 in. scar down the center of my stomach. The doctor who did the surgery is no lomger my doctor for some reason. I came back from deaths door, but I am still in alot of pain even with the painkillers. I have been told that I will have this pain for up to 6 months. This was suppose to be a simple operation that should have had me out of commission for 3 weeks at best. I almost died because something that should not of happened , happened.  Never take any surgery as a simple procedure ! Now I can't find out what went wrong. I just wanted to tell my story and let people know not to take anything for granted. LIFE is too short !!!!!!!!
Dear Joe,
Gosh, you were very unlucky indeed.  I reckon when they took the polyp out, somehow your bowel came open as a complication of surgery, and I've seen on TV where that is a worst-case scenario, becuz if waste gets in the abdominal body cavity, it can near bout kill a person, all that bacteria infecting everything.  You were so wise to go in when your temperature went up, a sure sign of infection.

I want to say a few hopefully helpful things about your scar and your pain.  I have a male friend who has a scar from the bottom of his abdomen, up past the belly button, and a few inches further, from colon cancer.  They stapled it shut.  He was in terrible pain right after the operation, the scar was ugly, he was not a happy camper.  But after a similar recovery period, as is predicted for you, the discomfort went away and the scar is barely visible.  He is older, and his stomach muscles are not as strong as they were, possibly from the op.  So, when you're more comfortable, do all you can to keep your tummy muscles tight.

As for your pain, you should not have to endure ANY pain.  They should have given you enough drugs to take it away.  Therefore, I think you must talk to the prescribing doctor and explain how bad things are, so he will please prescribe either a higher dosage level and/or a new and better medication.  Now, I ran into a doctor one time who did not help me with some car wreck broken back kinda pain, so I went to another doctor, and I was given what I needed.  So, if yours is not helpful with this matter, go see another.

On the issue of finding out what went wrong in your surgery, you can most certainly obtain the hospital records of the operation, might have to jump through hoops to get it, and then have an expert review the records and perhaps explain what mistake or unexpected course of poor healing took place, that nearly caused your death.  I'd also find out what are the percentages of your particular complication.  Perhaps you could even take up the whole situation with whomever is in charge of that hospital, because I am hoping SOMEONE is taking responsibility and helping you financially with everything that happened.

I also hope your work picture is still in good shape, too, that you haven't suffered financial or career damage as a result of the failed operation.  And I imagine the reason the doctor who treated you is no longer your doc is because of what happened.  I wish you a speedy recovery and hopefully this event will just be something you can brag about one day when your sense of humor returns.  I wonder if you had one of those near-death experiences.  Please feel free to open up in this forum, sometimes a lot of people will come out of the woodwork and try to comfort you and help you.
GG