Gastroenterology Community
COLONIC HYDRATION

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

COLONIC HYDRATION

I have been told that regular colonic hydration is good for cleaning out the diverticula in a person with diverticulosis.

How accurate is that?  I have been wanting to go to a CCT, but was worried about it.

Has anyone out there tried it?  What was it like, and did it work?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  You can't reverse the process of diverticulosis.  Colonic hydration won't do anything for it and I would not recommend doing it.  If you have diverticulitis not diverticulosis (different things) then colonic hydration will actually make the problem worse.  Make sure you are eating a lot of fiber for the diverticulosis.
Thanks for the quick response.

I know colonics will not reverse diverticulosis, and I do know the difference between the osis and the itis.  :)

I was told that the hydration will clean out the diverticula pockets, thus  minimizing the onset of the 'itis'. (Besides not eating all the nuts, seeds, corn, coconut, etc)

High fiber is a good thing...however,I have ALWAYS had a high fiber diet---and obviously that was not enough.

My doctor said that sometimes stool itself gets stuck in the pockets...oh yay...so the avoidance of all the above, does not always help either....

I really just want to know if anyone has tried colonics and what the result has been.

Okay, I have never tried them so I can't tell you about that.  I personally believe that the theory from your doctor is not true but it is up to you to decide what to do.