Gastroenterology Community
COLOSTOMY REVERSAL

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

COLOSTOMY REVERSAL

I HAD A REVERSAL ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. BUT I STILL HAVE A LOT OF DIARRHEA, IS THAT NORMAL. ALSO I HAVE A LOT OF GAS, EVEN IF I DONT EAT ANYTHING THAT WOULD CAUSE IT.
WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THIS IN CONTROL.
HOW ABOUT DIET?
IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULDNT EAT OR SHOULD EAT?
You can take Immodium for diarrhea but diet is truly key to this.  Play around with your diet to see what makes it worse, and eliminate this.  My son has his under control and lives a very active, full life.  He says it's all about diet.
I had a bag reversal in Jan. 2010 and l have to go to the john 15 to 25 times a day with most of the trips between 5 pm and 11 pm. I would be interested in your son's diet. Maybe it will help me.

eyb
I HAVE A COLOSTOMY BAG NOW, I HAVE HAD IT SINCE JAN 2010 IN HOPES OF SUCCESSFUL RECTALVAGINAL FISTULA REPAIR, AFTER 2 FAILD ATTEMPS SO FAR., AND HOPEFULLY SOON MY DOCTOR WILL BE ABLE TO REVERSE IT. WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AFTER THE REVERSAL?
*WHAT KINDA DIET SHOULD I BE ON AND HOW LONG?
*HOW LONG ARE U IN PAIN?
*WHAT IS THE WEIGHT LIFTING LIMIT?
*WILL I BE ON BED REST OR WILL I BE ABLE TO MOVE AROUND NORMALLY?

ANY ADVISE WILL HELP, BECAUSE IM VERY NERVOUS AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT
THANK U
I thank everyone for all the posts. They have been very helpful to me in better understanding my condition and knowing I am one of many in the same condition.
I am preparing to undergo a reverse colostomy on April 12, 2011; approximately eight weeks ahead. I had emergency colostomy surgery on December 23rd and subsequently had drains inserted in my abdomen for several absesses which developed. After 22 pain seared days in the hospital I was prematurely released and continue to recover with the assistance of two/three visits per week from the visiting nurse association. My question is ,"how do I best prepare my body/system for the reverse surgery as my energy/physiology is severly depressed/worn down?"  I have many challenges, for example, due to severe blood loss during the December surgery I am still anemic and taking iron pills. To boost my energy I just started treadmill walking and managed a mile at 2.5 mph. What are some other considerations/suggestions I might consider to boost my energy levels and get me into the best shape medically to undergo the reversal.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will post my reverse surgerey experiences in the hope it may help the next person.
Rob (& all), your story sounds very similar to mine. It's been very difficult for me to deal with having a colostomy, I am an 18 year old female who was attending college when I got into an accident. I awoke from my procedures with a bag attached to me. I'm to embarassed to tell any of my friends and I feel that most individuals my age wouldn't even understand. My accident was about six weeks ago and I will hopefully get the reversal in May. In my accident i lost 3/4 of my blood and now am also anemic. I am curious as well to know how to prepare my body and mind for the reversal. My doctors keep telling me that I have already gone through the worst surgeries and that the reversal is much simpler, however I am still very nervous. I have also read about many people developing pains for years after at the incision site. I'm so glad I stumbled onto this site, even though I may not fit the common demographic of those who are dealing with this, it is so comforting to know I am not alone.