Gastroenterology Community
CONTINUED GALLSTONE ATTACKS AFTER SURGERY

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had my gallbladder removed 5 months ago, but I continue to have nightly "gallstone" attacks.  The night before the surgery I passed one of the three stones into the common bile duct; and the surgeon cut into that stone while doing the laparoscopic removal.  He said that he removed all of the pieces.  I have been having at least one or two attacks per night ever since the surgery; some of them very painful and very much the same type of pain as before the surgery.   I have had an MRI, which came back "normal"; as well as several blood tests within hours of an attack, which showed no unusual increase in liver enzymes.  This has put me into the "mystery patient" position; where nobody seems to know what the problem might be.  I have also had a few attacks during the day when I have been hungry for more than half an hour - it seems to bring it on for some reason.  The attacks last 10 - 15 minutes, and then subside, leaving me feeling very tired and drained.  The Gastroenterologist put me on ant-acid medication, which hasn't helped at all, and sent me for a blood test, which came back normal.  Do you have any suggestions that may help?  Thanks for your time!
hi, did they scan your pancreas?.
Ask your gastroenterologist about SOD.

The unfortunate fact is that some people have gallbladder stone symptoms even after the surgery. One of the possible reasons for this is something called Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction, or SOD. Ask your gastroenterologist about getting an MRCP (not an ERCP, unless you are directed to someone who has a LOT of experiences with these since a side effect can be pancreatitis). If you have SOD it should get picked up there. As well, if you still have sludge/stones that need to be cleaned out, that should be able to be spotted as well.

Good luck.
Thanks for your replies - all I know is that I had an MRI done - whether or not that included the pancreas I'm not sure.  I'd like to assume that it did, but I'll have to ask the specialist about it.  I'll ask about the SOD too, gnorb.  Thanks for your help!
I continue to have "gallbladder attacks" as well. It's been two yrs since my gb was removed. The dr said it is caused by a spasm in a spincter.
Hi -
When do your attacks happen and how often?  Mine are almost always in the wee hours of the morning (3:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.); so well after I've eaten anything.  I also get an attack every once in a while when I am hungry for more than a half hour or so.  So far all that I've read about SOD (Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction) is that it happens right after eating; so I'm not sure if this is the same type of thing or not.  Thanks for responding.