CT Of Abdomen
I have been having upper ab pain since 12-07 on and off.  It is not horrible and it seems to be mostly on the right side and radiates to my back.  It is similar to Gallbladder pain, but I had my gb removed in 2001.  In May 08, I had an ultrasound and an ERCP and there was nothing abnormal.  Blood tests are also normal.  My Gastro has recommended that I have a CT Scan of my abdomen to rule out Diverticulosis and then thinks we should stop there as it doesn't seem to be bowel related.  My worry is that I had RAI Uptake Scan and RAI 131 for Graves Disease in 2005. X-rays for gallbladder in 2001, a mammogram in 2007 and two other CT Scans over 10yrs ago.  Is this too much radiation and since this is rule out something that the gastro doesn't really think the problem is, is peace of mind really worth the radiation?
I've had similar pain to what you have.  Its almost a mirror image of my symptoms.  However, I have had my gallbladder removed a month and a half ago...and I still was having pain in my side radiating into my back mainly in episodes.  They wanted to do an ERCP, but since its such a risky procedure they decided to do an MRICP--just an MRI of my entire stomach.  All of my bile ducts were fine, but they did find stenosis in my arteries.  I had an arteriogram Monday and I have this vascualr disease called Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome.  A ligament is pinching my celiac artery and causing decreased blood flow to my other organs and causing lots of pain.  Your symptoms sound a whole lot like mine--you may want to ask your dr about getting an MRI of your stomach.  I've had alot of radiation, too.  I guess its only worth it of they find out what is wrong with you and get you out of your pain!  Is your pain worse after eating a big meal?
I was diagnosed with Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome at Mayo Clinic in March, 2008.  An angiogram was ordered to look further at the celiac artery, and I was also diagnosed with Fibromuscular Dysplasia in the celiac artery & superior mesenteric artery.  So far I've had the SMA ballooned, but am still having constant abdominal pain & am going back & forth between doctors.  My gallbladder is enlarged but functioning normally,although I have constant pain on my right side, up through my shoulders, especially under the right should blade.  My celiac artery has a 70% blockage from the FMD, as well as being compressed by the ligament.  So far, I can't get any doctors to agree (except Mayo), that the ligament is an issue, or that removing the ligament & repairing the celiac will help alleviate the pain. One believes the gallbladder is an issue, but the surgeon didn't agree.   I had minor relief after the SMA was ballooned.  There was an article recently printed in the Chicago Tribune about MALS.  There was also an article recently printed in the Wall Street Journal about FMD.  Both articles state that MALS & FMD are not as rare as physicians would like us to believe.  Good luck to you, I hope you find a doctor who can help alleviate some, if not all, of your pain.
do you normally get really sick to your stomach  and vomit immediately after eating when you have MALS?
You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2008. The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on. Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew. To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page. This will get your post the attention it deserves. Thank you.