Gastroenterology Community
CT Scan Results - What do they Mean?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

CT Scan Results - What do they Mean?

I originally posted this in women's health, but I think it is more in line with this forum.

Pertinent information: I have single nodule hyperthyroidism (this is the only thing I have been fully diagnosed with). My doctor requested an abdominal CT scan to help diagnose what has been causing LUQ pain below my ribcage. The results were as follows:

Findings: The lung bases are clear. The liver, gallbladder, adrenal glands, and pancreas appear within normal limits. There may be a subcentimeter hypodensity within the left kidney too small to characterize. No hydronephrosis or renal calculi are appreciated. the spleen appears prominent, however it is not enlarged by craniocaudal size criteria. It measures up to approximately 10.8 cm craniocaudal dimension. The small bowel is not dilated. There is a 1.5 cm AP x 1.2 cm transverse structure in the region of the tail of the pancreas/ splenic hilum on image 15, series 3. This has Hounsfield units similar to the pancreas/ spleen. Subcentiment short axis retroperitoneal lymp nodes are appreciated. There also appear to be subcentimeter short axis mesenteric lymph nodes, see for example on image #55 on the coronal sequence. no free peritoneal air is seen.

Pelvis: A uterus is present. No definite free pelvic fluid is seen. The urinary bladder is distended, demonstrating no obvious abnormality. Subcentimeter short axis inguinal lymph nodes are appreciated. The osseus structures demonstrate no lytic or sclerotic foci.

Impression:
No definite abdominal or pelvic pathology identified.

Prominent appearing spleen which does not appear pathologically enlarged by craniocaudal size criteria.
Nonspecific 1.5 x 1.2 cm density in the region of the tail of the pancreas/ splenic hilum. This is nonspecific and could represent a spenule, a portion of the tail of the pancreas or a vascular structure. I cannot exclude a small splenic artery aneurysm or other pathology based on this noncontrast enhanced examination. A post contrast CT of the abdomen could be performed for further evaluation as clinically indicated.

Questionable subcentimeter hypodensity left kidney.

My doctor says that there is nothing to worry about in these results, but it prompted my endochronologists to decide to do a punch biopsy he previously didn't think I needed. I have tried find information on what these results mean, but it's all jargon.  Does anyone know what thes results really indicate?  Should I just accept what my doctor said that it "means very little"?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  I don't believe that these results indicate what is causing your problems.  The radiologist will always put in every little abnormality so that the doctor can take that into consideration when diagnosing your problem.  I would recommend talking to a gastroenterologist about this and see what he thinks.  Can you please describe your pain a little more?
it is a stabbing pain just to the let left of my breast bone below the ribs on my left hand side. My doctor is unconcerned because I have had the pain for several years. It almost feels like a fullness. It's what I imagine it would feel like if I had swallowed a toothpick and it got lodged in my abdomen. I did have an appendectomy when I was 14, and I have occasional pain at the scar site (which the doctor warned me was likely), but it is nothing compared to the pain in my upper left side.
Have you had any changes in your bowel movements?  Do any different foods or eating make it worse?  Does it get worse with anything specific?
HELP: My son had a VSG one yr ago...he now has peripheral neuropathy-severe pain in his feet....the CT scan showed: ascites in the pelvis of uncertain etiology and subcentimeter mesenteric and retroperitoneal lymph nodes are noted.Explain please....what is he dealing with ?????Thanks....