Gastroenterology Community
Calcified Granuloma and Stone in Kidneys

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

What is Calcified Granuloma ?
My dad underwent a CT scan recently and came up with results showing calcified granuloma in the liver and a kidney stone in the right top quadrant measuring a 1.6 millimeter width.
Can someone please explain the causes/effects and treatment for this condition ?

Thanks.
My husband was told a similar thing and not to worry he didnt take it any further and we assumed the granuloma was normal ,his was also in his Liver, and he is fine so if you are concerned ask them for a further explanation.
Calcified granuloma: A calcified granuloma is a granuloma containing calcium deposits. Since it usually takes some time for calcium to be deposited in a granuloma, it is generally assumed that a calcified granuloma is an old granuloma.

A granuloma is one of a number of forms of localized nodular inflammation found in tissues. The fact that a granuloma is localized is important. So is its nodularity. Granulomas have a typical pattern when examined under a microscope.

Granulomas can be caused by a variety of biologic, chemical and physical irritants of tissue.
For kidney stones there really is no Dr. prescribed medication to make it go away. If it is big enough they can zap it into smaller particles that can pass harmlessly in your urine or if it is small enough to pass on its own then they do nothing till it starts to pass then they give you pain killers cause it really hurts sometimes. You should also know that if he has an enlarged prostate this to can cause problems because it may prevent the stone from passing for sometime out of the urinary tract. As someone who has experienced this pain without and enlarged prostate let me tell you it is not something you would wish on your worst enemy. It is very painful and will cause you to bleed everytime you urinate and not just a few drops like a normal passing might. I pissed blood for three days. So if he has an enlarged prostate let the Dr. know and ask for it to be zapped.
Thanks a lot...