Gastroenterology Community
Can Gall Bladder Disease Affect your Liver & Pancreas?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have going to doctors for about 8 years for nausea.  2 years ago I was in the ER 3 nights in a row for severe stomach pain (which I thought was food poisoning) and on the 4th night at home I was vomiting massive amounts of green bile.  After two years of tests and 9 doctors all with different diagnosis (IBS, endometriosis, gas, stress) another GI suggested a HIDA scan.  less than 17% was the reading and I was very nauseous during the test and throughout the remaining day.  Can a damaged or non-functioning gall bladder adversely affect other organs such as your liver and pancreas?  Or can damaged liver or pancreas adversly affect your gall bladder resulting in a low HIDA scan result?  Should tests of the liver and the pancreas be performed prior to considerations of removal of the gall bladder?
A malfunctioning gallbladder can cause problems for both the liver and the pancreas. Tests definitely have to be done before considering having any surgical procedure. If the gallbladder is not the problem, it should not be touched.
i had non diagnosed gallstones for many years, eventually had food posining (again) but could not pinpoint the cause - had the same thing for lunch as a colleague - but had to leave work as i was vomiting every 10 mins... continued through the night and was still dry heaving 12 hours later when i met my mum the next day she took one look at me and took me home and put me to bed in my old room 24 hour later i was yellow (lfts were off the scale ) i was diagnosed with gallbladder issues - liver problems and pancreatitius - all due to gallstones - yes it happens,by the time the docs took me seriously i was seriously ill. took me 6 months to get op!