Gastroenterology Community
Can Gallbladder affect sciatica?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Can Gallbladder affect sciatica?

For the past year I've been having problems with my gallbladder. I started having pains in the upper right side of my abdomen, and right shoulder blade after eating fatty foods. Gallstones were ruled out, but the doctor is working on a diagnosis.

But the pain that I feel more often, which also coincides with fatty foods, and the onset of the other symptoms is pain in my right buttock, that has on occasion gone down all the way down the back of my thigh.  Walking is painful. I sometime also feel it in my tail bone going down to the left.

Could the gallbladder problems be affecting the sciatica nerve?

Ask your doctor to rule out ovarian cysts.  Their pain can be felt in different areas of the abdomen and they can press on other areas, often causing sciatica like pain.
Interesting... I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts many years ago, and they put me on the pill for it (and I'm still on it)...

Thanks, I'll make a point to mentioning it to my doctor next time I see him.
There's likely no direct association, but there might be an indirect association. If you have back issues--numb areas or areas of altered sensation--then the same issues which may be affecting your gallbladder may also be affecting nerves running down your legs. (Near as I can tell, this is only applicable in cases of biliary dyskinesia.) I say this because I have very similar issues, and it seems to be caused by some major subluxations in my celiac plexus region, combined with some previous lower back problems.

Have you seen a chiropractor?
I think I do have billiary dyskinesia, but I haven't had a HIDA scan yet.

It doesn't feel numb, it's painful, just as if I had done too many sit ups with only one leg... while I'm sitting, or standing, it doesn't hurt, only when I move.

I haven't seen a chiropractor.

Thanks for your reply.
I had my gallbladder out in 2007 after suffering for 8 eight years.
But I found my feet and legs ached, my legs expecially felt like rubber and I could not go for long hikes like I used to do.
It also caused me extreme fatique.

And to make matters worse all gallbladder tests were negative but when it was removed the Pathologist report stated "Chronic Inflammation and Gallstones"

So, just because tests come back negative like mine did and yours also, does not rule out gallbladder disease.

Actually a friend suggested Gallbladder disease to me and when I told my Doc, he chuckled, guess he felt a skinny person is great shape would not have gallbladder issues.

Sue

I think a big part of my problem is that I'm in Canada, so even though I don't like my Gastroeneterologist, I can't just fire him and get a better one. I sort of have to put up with him until he gives up or retires (like the last guy I saw).

Also, if the test doesn't show anything, they won't do anything (you sort of have to beg for further testing here).

Most doctors I've dealt with in Canada are uncaring and jaded.

At this rate it will also be 8 years for me before anyone listens to me...