Gastroenterology Community
Can a PARTIAL SMALL BOWEL RESTRICTION HEAL ITSELF?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been dealing with long term constipation, which landed me in the hospital twice in the past 3+ weeks.  I was first diagnosed with chronic constipation, and saw a GI doctor who prescribed me various does of Miralax (supposedly a safe laxative for long term use?).  First he prescribed me too much of the miralax & I ended up with diareaha, then we backed off I guess too much til I felt like I was giong to explode.  I went to the hospital the first time & they did a plain x ray which showed no bowel obstruction.  It was 2 days after that when I first saw my GI doc.

After playing around with different doses of the Miralax, once again I felt like I was going to explode.  I went to a different hospital & the ER doc did a CT Scan with contrast which showed a partial bowel restriction, which is thought to be caused by an abdominal surgery & resulting scar tissue build up.  I have been on a soft diet, continuing with Miralax, and was just told today by this GI doc that had been treating me prior to my diagnosis that my 'small bowel restriction' must now be managed with a General Surgeon, and that it's not possible for it to heal on its own .

I was told that it could resolve itself with a soft diet & continuation with the Miralax.  But my GI doc says that it will never go away due to the scar tissue (he didn't even see my actual films, but merely read the Imaging Report).  This has me extremely scared, as I suffer from chronic pain, and also have an intrathecal pain pump which also has morphine in it, plus I supplement my breakthrough pain with oral opiates.  I have taken them for about 12 yrs or so, before developing this severe constipation problem, which now I am doing my utmost not to take any of the oral meds in the HOPES that the small bowel obstruction may heal itself.  

After my visit with the GI doc this AM, I am absolutely terrified at the thought of seeing a surgeon to monitor my Miralax, etc. & to ensure that I don't develop a complete bowel obstruction.

I may have just complicated my question, but basically I'd like to know if anyone else has a small bowel obstruction & if indeed they can 'heal themselves'....  I would greatly appreciate anyone's input.
I have had two bowel obstructions as a result of abdominal surgery.  The first was from scar tissue growing around and pinching off the intestine, the second was an actual twist in the intestine.  Both required surgery and while they were fixing the second one they had to remove additional scar tissue that had grown back since the first operation.  I believe that I am in the begining stages of a third obstruction (again from scar tissue).  Whatever you do don't give it too much time in hopes of it clearing up.  It won't.  Scar tissue will continue to grow and you will end up with a complete obstruction and risk losing some of your intestines, if not worse.  Unfortunately since they have to remove it with surgery the surgery itself can cause more scar tissue to grow and it can be an endless cycle.  I don't mean to get you down, but better to know the possibiities and to take action.  Good luck.
Avatar n tn
I would first of all not see a general surgeon.  See a bariatric surgeon.  You will be much much better off.  Also, check into have laproscopic surgery.  Make sure the surgeon is a skilled bariatric surgeon.

Best of Luck