Gastroenterology Community
Can a person diagnosed with H. pylori drink milk or hot chocolate?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Can a person diagnosed with H. pylori take milk and hot chocolate in her diet?
i think so.. calcium seems to help ulcers heal, that's why ant-acids are mostly made of calcium.. if you're on the triple antibiotic thereapy like you should be it'll kill the bacteria in the milk which isn't bad.. but also probably lessen the side effects of taking those antibiotics in the first place.  For sure follow instructions what your doctor said but I don't see why you couldn't drink chocolate or milk.. probably will help.

you probably should be doing like probiotics like low sugar yogurt and such because it's gonna kill off the good bacteria in your gut and could leave you with IBS issues after.  But yeah I think you're fine on milk..might have a yucky taste or bad reaction to it but I think it's safe in my opinion.

(hopefully you're not lactose intolerant like I am right now so i'm insanely jealous..no fair..i demand a refund sort of thing) but good luck.
H. pylori is associated with the development of gastritis and acid reflux. Most people don't find out about the H. pylori until symptoms of acid issues have surfaced and they may already be experiencing reflux issues.

Chocolate contains concentrations of theobromine. That is a compound that occurs naturally in many plants such as cocoa, tea and coffee plants. Theobromine relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter muscle allowing stomach acid to reflux into the esophagus. It's often suggested that people refrain from chocolate, tea and coffee when they have gastris and relux issues.

Dairy is also not suggested when one has gastritis and reflux. The stomach empties 'fats' (milk is fatty) in one of it's lasts steps. It's retained until the protein and carbohydrates pass through. That means that eating fatty foods will mean acid is retained in the stomach for longer period of time than eating carbohydrates/protein.