Gastroenterology Community
Can fiber cause mushy stool?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Can fiber cause mushy stool?

Hi, I am a male, 28, and recently I have had this problem. I had an urinary infection 3 months ago, which was treated promptly. As part of preventive measures for the future, i changed my habits and started to drink more water and fiber on my diet, together with fiber suplements. The thing is that now I am producing "mushy" stool, and sometime I get diarrhea intermittently. It seems eating chilli agravates the diarrhea problem.

What can be the causes of it? can a drastic change in habits produce the mushy stool?
Avatar n tn
Fiber causing mushy stool is perfectly normal.   I would call it abnormal if you did NOT get it.