Gastroenterology Community
Can gallbladder be bad even w/ no pain?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can gallbladder be bad even w/ no pain?

Like the title asks. Can someone (like myself) have a bad gallbladder and require surgery even if I have no pain? I have basicaly all the other symptoms and HIDA scan is scheduled early next week. I do get pain in center upper abdomen but only when I press pretty deep. No right pain at all.
Related Discussions
11 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Upper central abdominal pain is from the stomach or pancreas.

Gallbladder may be full of stones and causing no symptoms at all. It was once a rule, that such a gb can stay intact - no surgery needed.
Blank
Some people can have small stones/sand sludge not found under ultrasound, and no pain.  I have a discussion about the removal dilemma:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/556247
Blank
What tests identify a bad pancreas? like pancreastitis? would a HIDA scan verify that as well?
Blank
I thought that I had an ulcer, and after having that ruled out, I had other tests done.  The results fo a hyda scan showed that my gallbladder was functioning at 5%.  Not good.  Symptoms were nausea, feelings of hunger when I knew that I wasn't hungry.  I did not have stones, and eat a low fat diet, so did not have severe pain or discomfort.  The nausea was similiar to mornig sickness.
Blank
wow, that's very close to mine.  I had HIDA 7% and no stones/sludge.  I don't have nausea or hunger, or pain.  I just get fatigued and irritated due to poor absorption, and wake ups in early morning.

Did you have Cholecysectomy to get your GB out?
Blank
Pancreatitis is identified by increased pancreatic enzymes in the blood. HIDA shows only % of galbladder function and has nothing to do with pancreas.
Blank
I have been having that morning sickness nausea as described by trishofptc and it is in the morning strangley. I have been extremley tired like sleeping 12-15 hours a day lately.

Did you get your GB out yet or you think we could be having other problems? Have you tried digestive enzymes or checked out your pancreas?
Blank
You are asking the right person! I get morning fatigue, after meal fatigue, wake ups at night every 2 hours and thirst if I eat a greasy meal.

I still have my GB but scheduled to have it out 8/18 probably.

I used to like to sleep 10~12 hours, but now since I get the morning fatigue if I sleep more than 8 I feel even more tired.

I am pretty sure the fatigue is caused by vitamin deficiency since we can't absorb the fat soluble vitamins as well. (A D E K, B12)

So far I have tried:
  GB flush
  Apple Juice
  Ensure
  Pineapple - Bromelain
  Enzymes
  Folic Acid
  Jarrow Formulas "Bile Acid Factors"
  Typer "Lipotropic Complex"
  Centrum

I have had varies blood test, stool test, ultrasound, HIDA, CT Scan, Celiac Panel.  Pancreas seems to be normal, it's the first thing I looked at.

So far, Centrum seems to work very well.  It has Folic Acid in it and all the vitamins you need.  I am still experimenting with the bile salts.  All other seemed to work a one time but then the effects faded away.

I am now experimenting with gluten & grease...  I must be feeling too good lately! *_^

Blank
Haha, I'm going to go try the Centrum. btw what was your HIDA tests? I assume you dont have stones just sludge?

Regardless of what the doc says about my gallbladder i'm going to get a CT scan just to make sure my pancreas is fine. Didn't the Ensure make your pain worse?
Blank
HIDA efficiency is 7%.  I am 35 yrs old.  My doctor always say I am so young, still a baby etc. but I sure don't feel like one - right now.

No stones found and no sludge/sand mentioned under either ultrasound nor CT.

My Doctor actually urged me to do a CT, but I didn't feel it helped much.  The 2cm slices only can look for larger tumors. For Pancreas you want 1cm or so.  

The Ensure I had is a health supplement drink, no problem.

I also eat Apple and Yogurt regularly.  Pectin for the cholesterol and the good bacterias are your friends!
Blank
So what tests show tumors in pancreas?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703