Gastroenterology Community
Can hiatus hernia cause chronic nausea

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Can hiatus hernia cause chronic nausea

I have been suffering from chronic nausea for 2 years and it has been blamed on everything from diet to anxiety.
I was seeing a Gastro specialist for 6 months who ended up telling me that there is nothing wrong with me and it's all in my head.
Now i've just had a barium xray ordered by a GP and it has shown that i have a hiatus hernia, could this be causing the chronic nausea.
I have been taking antacid meds for years.
Hi.  I have GERD which is acid reflux.  When mine is acting up, as I produce too much acid in my stomach, I suffer from nausea, as well.  I would either get another gi or ask your gp about acid blockers.  I am on prevacid.  I also suffer a double whammy, anxiety disorder, GAD, which also causes me to become nauseaus if i don;t take my klonopin like I should.  No, this is not in your head.  My old gi thought I was neurotic so I fired him and got another one, who is wonderful.... hope this helps
Thanks for your reply sue, i also have GERD which they now realise is being caused by my hiatus hernia, the problem is i have been on reflux meds for years (nexium, somac, rani) and while they do help a bit with the reflux they don't stop the nausea.

I have also been diagnosed with GAD which was brought on by stress at work and been made worse by the constant nausea and being told for 2 years that it's all in my head.
I believe that the combo of the hernia and the anxiety and stress may be working together to make my nausea so bad (i haven't been able to work for 15 months so theres some more stress).

I also wonder if the diapghram squeezing my stomach (hiatus hernia) is contributing to the nausea, they say that people get all sorts of symptoms with hiatus hernia, some get no symptoms while others get bad symptoms.

I'm really anoyed that the GI dr didn't pick it up because it's been almost 18 months since my drs stopped looking for a physical cause for my nausea because of him.
It's only because of the work of a lovely gp named jennie who i started seeing 2 months ago who lives in a small town and wasn't prepared to just accept his findings that we even found the hernia,
i just hope that something can be done to stop the nausea because 2 years of nausea every day is hell.

Thanks for listening to my ranting and merry christmas to you.
My daughter is 8 and has suffered with nausea mainly at night...about 2 months ago she had her gall bladder removed (which has been a flipping nightmare.....!! now she has chronic nausea.....!!! They also found she had the hiatal hernia...After taking her to a PAED for the first time...they have decided to put her on LOSEC.....Im starting with the medication tomorrow morning...and praying to GOD - this removes all nausea completely....
Its absolutely ruining her little life - she has become withdrawn and anxious as she hates vomiting, and the nausea is not helping one bit.....
Like I said I hope LOSEC will start taking effect xxx its been a really difficult couple of years x
I highly recommend you consult an alternative type of doctor, they can be hard to find and sometimes not covered by insurance. I gave up trusting the general medical field years ago, usually they just want to make money off unnecessary procedures. Do more reseach and may God bless you and your little one.
Hi and yea Losec is not working...So I've stopped giving it to her...

But thanks xxx She need's all the prayers and blessing a little girl can get..

xx
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers