Gastroenterology Community
Can high eosinophils, IgE and low cholesterol be related to IBS symptom...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Can high eosinophils, IgE and low cholesterol be related to IBS symptoms? Please help!

I've had digestive problems for over 3 years (have been told it's probably IBS). I've had blood tests done on several occasions to check auto-immune problems - I have primary APAs and anti-thyroid antibodies (multi-nodular thyroid but thyroid funtion is fine)
The last two tests showed mildly high eosinophils and IgE which the doctor did not seem to think were significant. In addition, all blood tests consistently show slightly lowered total cholesteral (around 140). Ihave heard that these can, however, be related to digestive problems.
I've not been offered endoscopy so far and am on a course of probiotics. My bouts of IBS (diarrhea and abdominal discomfort with some nausea and 'internal shakiness') have been getting steadily more frequent and last longer than before. I get feelings of anxiety after the onset of the bouts, NOT before so am not convinced that this is all stress-related!
I was recently tested for allergies to environmental factors which came back negative. Recent stool tests came back negative for parasites and selected bacteria (but am not sure if I was tested for h.pylori).
This condition is ruining my life ! I'm afraid to go anywhere and picking up kids from school causes much anxiety because I don't know if I'll make it without incidence. I'm sick of having to let people down because I can't make it to engagements (I sing in a choir).
Please help!
High IgE and eosinophils usually indicate allergies.  Since you have so many digestive issues, but first place to look would be food allergies.

I would recommend that you discus an endoscopy with your GI.  An endoscopy would tell you if you have eosinophils in your esophagus which would confirm food allergies.  

In the mean time I recommend that you keep a food diary of all the food you eat, any symptoms you have and how long it took for symptoms to start.  You may need to do a food elimination diet to isolate certain foods.

You may want to see an allergist for food allergy testing and treatment.

Some of the other poster's ideas are good, even though I am generally not an advocate of natural medicine.  Natural medicine has been around for centruies with high death rates for diseases that newer medical treatments at least control and give a good quaility of life for with longer life expectancies.  Some health food stores just want you hooked on their vitamins that only treat the symptom and not the cause just as much as traditional medicine.  So be careful with them.  I am a HUGE supporter of probiotics though and digestive enzymes as well.  As the poster said, only buy the probiotics from the refridgerator at a respected health food store.  They contain live, necessary for propper digestion bacteria.  Over heating will kill the bacteria and make it useless.  Also, keep them refridgerated at home.

I have been researching the acidity concept myself, and it makes some sense.  Apple cider vinegar will help with that.  Lemon juice (freshly squeezed) will also help.

Inflamation (inflammation) is increased by carbohydrates, but your body still needs them.  Eat whole food carbs as much as possible and avoid refined sugar.  (I know these things, but don't follow them myself.  ;)  )  Also, sugar substitutes can be just as bad for you in these issues as sugar itself.

Feel better.