Gastroenterology Community
Can some one help?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Can some one help?

My 11 year old daughter has been having recurring cramps around her belly button area. She says its like someone is squeezing her insides.  Last December she had a bad stomach virus, which lasted until March. She was well until September of this year and she vomittted again and has not bee well since then. The cramps come every afternoon.
    She has had multiple blood work, stool work, sonagrams, but nothing has been found. She is off whole milk. The pain is recurring mostly at nights. She goes to sleep around 8 PM because she knows that the pain will go away in the night.
    Can someone help me find out what is causing her cramps?
I suppose an obvious question would be if she was checked for urinary tract or bladder infections, IBS, or diabetes?

Just a couple thoughts off the top of my head...C
urine is good-  the doctor is now leaning towards ibs- she may need to have an endoscopy done- nothing has been mentioned about diabetes. Gastritis- lactose intolorate-stress- anxiety- stomach virus-but no diabetetes.   I  will ask at the next visit.
If the blood sugar is normal, it is likely that your pancreas may be working fine. An ultrasound, even though it can have a poor prognosis, will show most parts of the pancreas.

If this is ruled out, these are the possible causes of stomach cramping:-

• Irritable Bowel Syndrome
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease
• Crohn's disease
• Lactose intolerance
• Celiac disease
• Gastritis
• Peptic ulcer

The gastroenterologists usually provide an endoscopy to rule out any serious conditions. If a duodenum ulcer is found, it is most likely to be benign. Gastric ulcers have both benign and malignant problems, but stomach cancer in children is rare.

Your daughter will be fine. Has she been through a lot of stress? This can cause temporary gastrointestinal disorders. I have abdominal pain and waiting for the gastroscopy test. Hope everything goes well, and nothing is serious. If it is IBS, then having a limited diet plan will help manage it.
Look up Urachal Cyst- it is an interesting thing that can cause some of your daughters symptoms. Ask your Dr about it- not always seen on xray, MRI or CT scan. Just a thought since my 21 year old daughter had this. Good luck!
Sonia, were her liver and pancreatic enzyme levels measured with the blood tests? Has the doctor suggested trying any anti-spasm meds to see if they're of help? Any changes in bowel habits? Any GI issues that run in either side of the family? Any history of food intolerances? Was she checked for the presence of H. pylori?
The doctor is trying some antibiotics before she does the endoscopy.
will keep everyone psoted in hopes that the results will help someone esle
My daughter has the same issues, it isn't all the time but it is spurratic. I think she is trying to start her period. We are going thru alot of stress at this time so it could be that. She had diarrhea the other night then the next night her stools got harder snd she still felt bad but a little better. the next night she was better. every now and then she complains too. I give her some sprite, and two chewable pepto's this seems to work. everything with the doctor is good too, she is also 11. I hope this helps. lets hope it is them becoming women rather than them being ill with something :-) my prayers are with you.
  Thats what we are all praying for.  The doctor is doing more stool testing to check for bacteria. We should have the results this week. Has your daughter gotten her period yet? And did it go away when she started it? I am stressing out so badly as it breaks my heart not to help her feel better.