Gastroenterology Community
Can you get c-diff again and again?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Can you get c-diff again and again?

I contracted C- diff while in the hospital about a month ago. Was still feeling quite ill so went to ER. No longer have C-diff but found out that the flagyl was making me very sick. I am off the flagyl and am feeling better but I am curious.. If you have c-diff once, Do you get it alot? I am just afraid of the antibiotics now.And with no insurance I cannot afford Vanco..What can I expect?
Avatar n tn
If the infection is not cleared up, it can come back. You shouldn't take the antibiotic that caused it ever, ever again. My daughter had Cdiff, and got rid of it with one course of flagyl but she is never allowed to take omnicef again which is the antibiotic that caused it. Hope this helps.
I agree, the infection can keep coming back..doctors orginally thought I got it from antibiotics and I took flagyl (nasty drug) to fix it.  I've heard if it's not killed completely it can come back or it can come back over and over (and make it more difficult to get rid of when you build up a resistance to it)

good luck :S
My 9 year old got it from taking Omnicef as well!! He is a big boy and they switched him from the normal liquid antibiotics to the adult pills.  I waited for a couple of days of the stomach cramps before taking him to the doctor. I just thought it was a stomach virus.  He stayed in the hospital for 3 days and lost 14 pounds within a week!!  He is much better now, but any time he complains with stomach pains, I am very concious of the situation!
These posts sound all to familiar, my daughter was dismissed today with the same diagnosis, CDIF! This is a nasty sickness and she to took a round of omnicef for a bladder infection.  We were unfortunate in our home town to get a diagnosis quickly, we took our daughter to a hospital 100 miles from our home for a doctor in an emergency room there to finally listen and admit her into the hospital for treatment.  very lucky to have had such a wonderful group of drs. to assist in a time of need unlike the ones in our home town...Good luck to all of you above with your journey to recovery with such a horrible diagnosis.  
Make sure she is keeping her bathroom area very clean. I would suggest closing the toilet lid when flushing and spraying it down with bleach each time. Bleach left standing on surfaces for about 10 min is the only thing that will kill the spores.  They could be all over the bathroom.  She should also not share a bathroom or linens with others and her clothes should be washed separately with hot water and bleach.  Cdif is so easy to keep getting.  You want to take every precaution to keep it away.  Also if she is not on a probiotic she should be.  This helps repopulate the gut with good bacteria so it will replace the cdiff.  Some good ones are florastor and culturelle.  You can find them in drugstores or online.  You can build up to several a day.  You also need to stay away from antibiotics in the future unless really neccessary since once you have it you are prone to getting it again.
Avatar n tn
For everyone who feels ill on flagyl ... tell your doctor to prescribe the branded version ... NOT the generic version.  The branded version is enteric coated and will dissolve in the intestine (where it's needed), not the stomach the way the generic version does.  First round of generic flagyl made me very ill.  We switched to the branded version and I felt fine.
Has anyone experienced hot/heat  in their skin? This wakes me up. Once I go to the bathroom it lessens or goes away. With it goes dry mouth, tongue and throat. Thanks