Gastroenterology Community
Can you live without your pancreas???

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Can you live without your pancreas???

Im wondering if you can really live without your pancreas?I have chronic pancreatitis and I take pancreas mt20 which helped a great deal but now it is getting to the point where its not working...Does this mean that there is no hope ? Or maybe my doctor needs to perscribe higher dose if possible?I am in pain but it is not great.Im eating chicken noodle soup everyday plus a multivitamin.Im dizzy and I have diarrhea.Im wondering why arent my enzymes working anymore.Im so scared that it will only get worse for me.I have alot of indigestion but Im taking pepcid and prevacid.I don't understand why the medication is not working anymore.Im tired of hearing that there is rly nothing that can be done!I would rather not have a pancreas then be in pain and not able to eat anything.I just want an accurate answer.I haer some say yes you can then others say no that it is worse.Im so confused Please anyone help me with answers!!!!!!!
You cannot live without your pancreas.
I disagree to the above statement!

Yes you can live without your pancreas! Specialist surgeons often remove pancreas's!

Having no pancreas causes lifetime issues though! Hopefully if/when a pancreas is removed they take what is called islet cells from the pancreas and implant them into your liver....and that theoretically tricks the liver into producing the enzymes like the pancreas does.....but the success of this varies greatly with each individual. If it doesn't work, you will be on enzymes for the rest of your life and also be an unstable diabetic!

Definately something to talk about with a specialist who has done these procedures before....as it is the last resort you want to take!

Good luck

Sarsi
I know for a fact you can live without your pancreas. You will have to take pacreatic enzymes the rest of your life, not to mention you will also be a diabetic. Never heard of implanting islet cells into the liver, but if that is an option then it's always worth a shot. Feel better!
Hmmm a lady i work with her hubby's pancreas was shot and he has a transplant, he was told he would die if he did not get the transplant when he did... that was my experience.  Sorry if im wrong.
it was not in any way a direct criticism to you at all.....I hope that you keep helping people and not be discouraged.....none of us are doctors but can only offer information on what we know......xx
Sorry but you are COMPLETELY WRONG-- You can live without your pancreas, hundreds start a new life without theirs each year and I will too beginning April 19th. I have severe hereditary pancreatitis. My pancreas is shot. Surgeon will remove my pancreas and I have opted to do the Auto Islet Cell Transplant as well. The TP/AIT surgery will save my life!!! They'll remove my pancreas, spleen, gallbladder, duodenum and piece of stomach, reconnect it all then transplant Islet Cells they harvest out of pancreas (if there is any left) into my liver where they will conitnue their job of producing insuling; Initially after surgery I will be insulin dependent but hopefully I will have enough islet cells that they will be able to take me off the insulin or at least reduce it to very little per day. I will have to take a pancreatic enzyme for the rest of my life, but I do now anyway since I no longer produce them on my own and do not digest foods properly. I have joined a support group full of HUNDREDS of people who have done this transplant surgery and ARE LIVING WITHOUT A PANCREAS!
I had a complete pancreadectomy. With my Islet Cells injected into my liver. My Spleen & Gallbladder have also been removed. That was almost 2yrs ago. I'm not even insulin dependent at this point. I barely was once I got out of the hospital. I do take pancreatic enzymes daily...along with a few other things. But it's better than the alternative...
People who have Chronic Pancreatitis, are predisposed to pancreatic cancer and a very aggressive form of diabetes. Not to mention the pain and torture your body goes through with this disease.
The TP/AIT has saved a lot of lives, including mine. But...it's not a walk in the park. The surgery is tough. At least it was for me. I refer to this surgery as the option when you have no other options.
In anyone wants to know more about this, you can contact me through my email at ***@****
What Dr. and hospital did you use? I have a friend that has this condition and his Dr.'s tell him they cannot remove his pancreas. He is giving up fast because he is in so much pain and has no hope.
I had my pancreas totally removed (also gallbladder & spleen) at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN.  They have an excellent surgeon who does it laparoscopic!!!   The recovery was very rough but not near as bad as having it open & not laparoscopic!   I am now a Type 1 Diabetic & take enzymes with my food.   Depending on where you are, Johns Hopkins & UCLA also have highly recognized surgeons for this surgery.  Do NOT settle for anyone but a highly skilled surgeon for such a difficult surgery as this!!!!

I had no symptoms but one of the components in a routine blood test for a health screen, was elevated.  My blood glucose levels were fine.  But discovered with more tests, a huge tumor had engulfed my pancreas, which thankfully was not cancer....but had to be removed.
I also had TP with auto islet cell transplant at Mayo Clinic in 2011. Was your surgeon Dr.Kendrick? Anyway it went great, I'm not diabetic, the islet cells are working really well! But few months later my stomach got twisted and the doctors had to remove all of my stomach. After that I have had some serious problems, but if that hadn't happened I would be doing great because I was feeling so much better and was finally free from heavy painkillers. I got few good months before everything went back to like it was before the pancreas was removed.