Gastroenterology Community
Candida in stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Candida in stool

I went to my doctor, to get the test results to my stool sample.  They found candida in my stool.  My doctor had never heard of this before.  He told me to drink apple cider and prescribed me Prilosec.  I don't have heartburn.  I have had abdominal cramps for a few months and this is the first positive test result I've received.
Tags: stool, Candida
Candidia is basically yeast.  It sometimes can overpopulate and crowd out some of the good bacteria.  I have had this before in my stool and my mouth.  I was prescribed Nystatin .  I took it 4 times a day  along with align and culturelle and in a few months I was ok. The align and culturelle are probiotics.  Probiotics are good bacteria and are made to repopulate the gut when you have too much bad bacteria.  It helps to take them anytime you take antibiotics.   I think my yeast issue came from taking an antibiotic.  You should probably cut out sugars and white flours until your yeast in under control.  The yeast feed on this.  

The apple cider is like a natural remedy to help get rid of the yeast.  If it does not help then go back and ask if you should have more testing to see if this is really the cause of your cramps and possibly get another stool sample.  If its positive you could try other drugs to help.  Prilosec reduces stomach acid and can cause yeast to grow so not sure why he prescribed that unless he thought your cramps are coming from gerd or heartburn.
I agree with michell221.  Candida is a yeast that frequently overgrows in the bowels for various reasons.  A common reason is antibiotic use which kills off the good balance maintaining digestive bacteria as she said.  

Eliminating or at least greatly reducing your simple carbohydrates intake will help to stop the over growth as it reduces the "food" for the yeast.  In addition to the foods michell221 mentioned, potatoes and rice and all processed grains can be a problem.  You still need fiber, so go for whole grain options or get it from fruits and veggies only for a while.

You want to select a probiotic that is enteric coated.  This coating allows the necessary digestive bacteria to pass through the stomach into the bowel where it is needed.  Also, select one with a board range of different organisms.  In other words don't chose one that only has acidophilus in it.  The more variety the more effective it will be.  Also, a high organism count is good too.  Talking to the staff at a good health food store would be a good idea.  Make sure you buy your probiotic from a refrigerator or they could be inactive.

I have taken a lot of antibiotics over the last year and was having severe GERD issues as a result.  I talked to my GP about doubling the dose of probiotic and he said it was a good idea, any unecessary organisms would just pass on through.  I think when you are in a major corrective mode that is a good thing to do.  After things are back under control, you can reduce to the normal dose.  This was very sucessful for me.  I took a double dose for about 2 1/2 months and now have excelent control of my GERD with fewer other medications.  I just finished another round of antibiotics and I didn't have any issues.  

If you do take antibiotics and probiotics during the same time frame, take the probiotics about half way between the antibiotic doses.  You don't want the antibiotics killing those good organisms.

Take care and God bless.