Gastroenterology Community
Cannot digest any type of lettuce
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cannot digest any type of lettuce

Everytime I eat lettuce (any type: i.e. iceburg, romaine, bib) I get an extreme urge to go to the bathroom about an hour later. Then, when I go to the bathroom (not to be gross) it's just chewed up lettuce (no poop). This happens to me with carrots too, but I eat lettuce more often. I do get stomach pain a lot; but, I think it may be just gas. Also, I couldn't say if the pain was on one side or the other, it's just beneath my rib cage. Sometimes, I get really horrible pain there that is so bad I cannot practically function (it goes into my back too when its really bad). That only happens every few months and I assume it is gas. I have diarrhea a lot, like almost everytime I go to the bathroom.
I saw the doc and he said it was stress. But, I really have no had much to stress about lately and it's still happening. I eat healthy and excersice with a trainer 5 days a week. I am in my late thirties and I'm pretty healthy overall. I do not smoke or do drugs and I drink ( only red wine) occasionally. I do have acid reflux sometimes too. What could this be? Should I just stop eating lettuce? I do not want to have to do that. Thank you.