Gastroenterology Community
Can't Eat FRUITS? Get Bloating and Diarrhea? Please Contribute.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi to all. I'm doing an online investigation about DIETARY FRUCTOSE INTOLERANCE (DFI). In this condition most fruits (apples, pears, prunes...), honey, some vegetables (tomatoes, artichoke...), products with added High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), sorbitol (in "low calorie" foods or "sugar free" chewing gum) and often wheat and onions cause BLOATING and DIARRHEA (also headache or depression). For more info click on my username and check "journals".

If someone thinks, he/she might have this condition (often misdiagnosed as IBS), I want to discuss with you in this thread about which exact fruits, vegetables, cereals and sugars you can/can't tolerate.

Copy paste below list in your post and add "Y" if you can tolerate and "N", if you can't tolerate that food.

FRUITS:
- mango
- oranges
- raspberries
- strawberries
- watermelon
- kiwi
VEGETABLES:
- onions
- leek
- carrots
- garlic
- parsley
CEREALS:
- wheat
- barley
LEGUMES:
- beans
- green peas
- soy
- lentils
NUTS:
- pistachios
- peanuts (peanut butter)
- hazelnuts
- almonds
- cashews
- chestnuts
- walnuts
- coconut
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose
- splenda
- maple syrup
- molasses
- brown sugar
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)
- sorghum syrup
- caramel
- stevia
FRUITS:
added
50/50% apples
BAD- prunes
BAD- appricot
BAD- rasins
BAD- banana

SALADS
mostly all salad

x mango (MAKES ME FEEL SICK)
BAD- oranges
np- raspberries
np- strawberries
BAD- watermelon
x kiwi  (MAKES ME FEEL SICK)
VEGETABLES:
BAD- onions
x leek ?
np- carrots
x garlic  (MAKES ME FEEL SICK)
x parsley
CEREALS:
- wheat NO SURE, THIS IS NEW NEWS TO ME?
BAD- barley
LEGUMES:
BAD- beans
BAD- green peas
BAD- soy  (gas starts with in 15 min, will vomit)
x lentils
NUTS:
x pistachios (MAKES ME FEEL SICK)
x peanuts (peanut butter)  (doc said I was allergic but never noticed gas)
x hazelnuts
x almonds (MAKES ME FEEL SICK)
x cashews (MAKES ME FEEL SICK)
np chestnuts
x walnuts (MAKES ME FEEL SICK)
x coconut (MAKES ME FEEL SICK)
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
x sucrose (MAKES ME FEEL SICK)
- splenda ??
x maple syrup (Real stuff - MAKES ME FEEL SICK)
- molasses ??
np brown sugar
np raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)
- sorghum syrup ??
np corn syrup
- caramel  (MAKES ME FEEL SICK)
- stevia
np = no problem
x = don't eat
- = not sure
BAD - LOTS OF GAS

Too much sugar causes mild stomach discomfort like if I were swallowing sand.
np grapefruits white, red. (can eat them all day just can't touch an orange)
np lemons
np limes
upset stomach from mellons

np - corn I think
50/50% tomato
BAD peppers
OK, crystalfresh, some thoughts:
Foods you've mentioned are high in fructose and/or sorbitol. Especially apples, raisins, and prunes contain a lot of sorbitol. Oranges contain more fructose than glucose, and this is why they cause problems.
Onions (and wheat) contain FRUCTANS.

It is possible that you're fructose intolerant. I think you should avoid fructose, sorbitol, and also fructans (onions, try with eliminating wheat). Link to LOW FRUCTOSE DIET is in my journals.

Question for you: What is your reaction to HONEY and to High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), which is used as sweetener in several commercial foods (yoghurts, chocolates, drinks, any packaged food...)?
-------------------------------------------------
Anyone, who have problems with fruits, invited to answer to above questionaire.
Too much honey or corn syrup(fake pancake syrup) makes me feel nausea for a short while. I don't think I ever had gas from it. But I only have about 2 tbsp of either with a meal if I do. I seem to do fine with that little amount. Never had more.

My stomach is feeling a bit gassy now some burping and the only difference tonight was 2 small pieces of green pepper and 5 chicago rools with some jelly (I love bread).

My bad just checked the jelly label. It said 100% fruit, berry flavor but the ingredients on the back had grapes. Great, allergic to grapes. I had about 3 tbsp of jelly, enough to cause upper intestinal gas trouble for a good 5-6 hours if it was mostly grapes. :(
BRB going to take antihistamine.

Last night however no gas at all. But I felt my food digesting/cramping from right to left to right backwards and forwards for 10 hours starting from the stomach until it reached my colon. Once in the colon my small intestine settled down and the whole colon started to burn like an upside down U shape for another few hours. I had my same pasta(made of DRUM SEMOLINA boiled to mush), tomato paste (allergic to tomatoes there ya go), white potato, brown rice, baked chicken. I bet the tomato caused the cramping. I thought if I microwaved and boiled the tomato paste I might not be allergic to it. But then again maybe it was the pasta.

Grapes don't cause cramping just lots of gas and burning. So if I cramp tonight the only constant would be the pasta.
To add
There was also pears in my jelly too. I'm really doing a job on my self.
Honey, corn syrup (but only high fructose corn syrup), pears and tomatoes all contain fructose.
Pasta, if from wheat, contains fructans, these are moleculles made from more fructoses.

It's possible you are fructose intolerant. If you find out that this is the case, you shouls avoid
- fructose (fruits and fruit products, especially apples, prunes, pears, dates, agave, raisins, peaches, sweet cherry)
- honey
- some vegetables like tomatoes, and usually beans.
- fructans (wheat, onions, leek, Jerusalem artichoke and maybe asparagus)
- sorbitol (sugar free chewing gum, diet soda, low calorie foods)

Fructose intolerance is NOT an allergy, so a fructose intolerant person can have small amount of fructose, according to his/her tolerance threshold.

-------------------------
Anyone who has problems with fruits, invited to fulfil the questionaire from the 2nd post above.
Ironically I am allergic to most of those fruits but not all. You listed.
fruits and fruit products, especially apples, prunes, pears, dates, agave, raisins, peaches, sweet cherry. So yes to all of them cause gas. Raisins and peaches very bad for me. Brb going to check my allergy list. Yep not allergic at all to peach, so there ya go. I stopped eating peaches years ago because gas and irritations was not easily tolerated.

Lets not even talk about something called fruit punch. Especially the fake kind which is all syrup and grape juice mix. Gas in 15 minutes. That was years ago before my allergies were a problem. Just as bad now.

I'd compare it to lactose intolerance. Ok this is me. I have a fructose intolerance too then. :( But glad I identified it. I would not have know it existed if you hadn't educated me to it on my other posts. :)

I do eat dairy with a product called lactaid. Do they make something similar for fructose ?
I went to the web sites listed in your profile and pulled the list of foods that I am not allergic to. For the next 3 days I am sticking to this list to see what happens.

List of safe foods for me.
Bread: Rye bread pita (allergy-No- yeast, soy, vegi-olive-canola-flax oils, barley)
                                 maybe add poppy or sesame on the bread
           Rice bread made from white rice flower and buckwheat noodles
Pasta: Rice noodles from white rice if I can find it.
Corn: Corn flakes no sugar, hot air pop corn.
Meats: chicken, turkey, fish, pork, egg whites-(but wonder if they are a problem)
Dairy: Mozzarella cheese from part skim-(with lactaid product), no sugar added.
Fruit: strawberry, blueberry, cranberry, lemon, lime, maybe oranges...
Celery, cooked spinach, white potatoes

I am going to try and buy as much of these foods as I can. If I can't get them I'll just eliminate them from the list but not supplement. I am now a guinea pig. I will be very strict on my eating and post results after test. I'm excited. I want to be better. Thank you.
It helps, if you ingest some pure glucose (available as dextrose or glucodin, or glucose syrup) along with the food high in fructose. This won't help with foods high in sorbitol though.

Glucose helps in absorption of fructose.

And, crystalfresh, its important to remember that fructose, sorbitol and wheat can all irritate you. Some are tolerant to wheat others are not, so you have to find this out.

Also: Fructose malabsorption is NOT an allergy. In allergy you get reaction to even tiny amount of culprit food, but in fructose malabsorption you can often eat small amount of problematic foods.

Next: fructose malabsorption can be officially tested with hydrogen breth test with fructose.
Thanks, I am scheduling the test for fructose and bacteria too. :) I learned for sure last night that greasy foods like my chips cause gas in my colon. Very different because this is lower down and doesn't cause nausea. But even just today I am feeling a bit better. I used to think that when my intestine was irritated I should eat lots of fruit to help move things through thus thinking it would fix the problem.
What about Jello? I know its sugar, but I can eat Jello and be ok. Fruit will destroy me. What is the difference? How bad is the sugar in Jello?
If there's more glucose than fructose in Jello, or if pure sucrose is in it, then this is just like table sugar...which is OK in moderation.

Beside fructose, sorbitol, xylitol, maltitol, mannitol and other sugar alcohols are problematic. On labels they are often referred as polyols or sugar alcohols.

FRUITS:
- mango N
- oranges N
- raspberries N
- strawberries Y
- watermelon N
- kiwi N
VEGETABLES:
- onions No No No!
- leek N
- carrots Yes, but only raw.
- garlic NNN
- parsley N
CEREALS:
- wheat N
- barley N
LEGUMES:
- beans N
- green peas N
- soy Y
- lentils N
NUTS:
- pistachios Y
- peanuts (peanut butter) N
- hazelnuts N
- almonds N
- cashews N
- chestnuts N
- walnuts N
- coconut N
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose N
- splenda N
- maple syrup N
- molasses N
- brown sugar N
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara) N
- sorghum syrup N
- caramel N
- stevia Y
I have a brutal headache right now - garlic, Chinese food??
Some of the foods on the list I don't know so I only marked the ones I know for sure.  
This week I am going on a fructose free diet.  One week of headache was too much.
My mom laughed when I told her I should eat oatmeal - I haven't eaten that since I moved out 25 years ago.  I will eat it this week for breakfast.
I find that rhubarb is an excellent fruit for me.
I use a diabetic aid - glucose tablets - when I think I am getting too much fructose but it doesn't seem to touch onions or garlic.
My dad has celiac disease and I am lactose intolerant.

FRUITS:
- mango
- oranges
- raspberries Y
- strawberries Y
- watermelon Y
- kiwi
VEGETABLES:
- onions N
- leek
- carrots
- garlic N
- parsley
CEREALS:
- wheat I eat it...but not in great quantities
- barley
LEGUMES:
- beans N
- green peas
- soy
- lentils
NUTS:
- pistachios
- peanuts (peanut butter) Y
- hazelnuts
- almonds N
- cashews
- chestnuts
- walnuts
- coconut
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose Y
- splenda
- maple syrup N
- molasses
- brown sugar SOME
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)
- sorghum syrup
- caramel
- stevia

FRUITS:
- mango N
- oranges ?
- raspberries ?
- strawberries NN
- watermelon ?
- kiwi ?
VEGETABLES:
- onions NNN
- leek Y
- carrots ?
- garlic Y
- parsley Y
CEREALS:
- wheat Y
- barley ?
LEGUMES:
- beans N
- green peas Y
- soy ?
- lentils N
NUTS:
- pistachios N
- peanuts (peanut butter)  N
- hazelnuts N
- almonds N
- cashews N
- chestnuts N
- walnuts N
- coconut Y
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose N
- splenda ?
- maple syrup ?
- molasses ?
- brown sugar  ?
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)  ?
- sorghum syrup ?
- caramel ?N
- stevia ?
Sara, do you have any known food allergy? Strawberies NN is quite a surprise.
Why are strawberies a surprise?

I pretty much avoid all fruits now, except I'm fine with bananas and I have lemon juice in hot water every day, with no problems. I don't have any diagnosed allergies, but my intolerance symptoms are instant stomach pains and bloating. Apart from if I touch the skin of a pineapple I come up in minor bumps on my lips and tongue. Diary products give me acne a day later.

I've never been tested for allergies, but my blood test for intolerance showed up onions, chilli, almonds, cashews, black currants and yeast. but as I said before i think most fruits don't agree with me, but I'd love to be able to discover some I could eat. It wasn't on your list, but grapes are also very bad for me.
Strawberries are tolerated by many people with fructose malabsorption...so my thought was, if you're maybe allergic to them.

If you can tolerate lemons, you may go well with most of other citruses: oranges, grapefruits...

Berries of any kind are often well tolerated by many, well...fruits themselves are not something essential for health. You obviously have problem with anything sugary (sucrose).
Actually I'm quite bad with anything sugary, but i haven't managed to differeniate between various types of sugars. Do you think I sound like I have got a frutose malabsorption?
You've answered NNN for onions, N for most nuts and legumes, you have no Y at any sugar. It surely may be fructose intolerance, but if you want to be sure, you should have a breath test with fructose.

Also, you've said that your "blood test for intolerance showed up onions, chilli, almonds, cashews, black currants and yeast". I guess these are allergy tests, not sure what is meant here.

If you have fructose intolerance you should avoid fructose (most fruits, especially dried fruits, you know which), fructans (onions, and large amounts of wheat), polyols: sorbitol, xylitol, erythritol, etc (in "sugar-free" products).

Bumps after touching fruits can be from allergic reaction.

Anyway, what are your symptoms, and when did they appear?
Thanks for your input. The bumps i get are only for the skin of pineapples. The symptoms I usually get with everything else are just abdominal pain and bloating, but it's almost an instant reaction.  

I had an IgG test for intolerance as opposed to and IgE for allergy. I've not been tested for allegies.

Is there any type of sugar that is ok for fructose intolerance?
And does this intolerance every clear up and is there anything i can do to speed it up?
Is there a home breath test with fructose I can do?
I'm almost sure that you're allergic to pineapple skin. It's only skin ***** test or skin patch test that can tell this reliably.

There's no home tests for fructose *malabsorption (FM), in the sense of some sticks or breath test (fructose *intolerance is actually totally other, severe genetic disease, where you can't safely ingest even small amounts of fructose).

But, you can have diet trial tests. On the beginning you exclude all foods you know they cause symptoms (bloating, cramps, diarrhea...).
Most irritant foods are:
- fruits (includinf fruit juices, jams...): pears, apples, prunes (and most other dried fruits), sweet cherries, peaches, appricots (all stone fruits), mango, papaya
- vegetables: onions, artichokes, asparagus
- any commercial food conating SORBITOL, XYLITOL, or other POLYOLS, mainly in "sugar free", or "low calory" products: chewing gum, soda...
-any commercial food containing HFCS (High fructose corn syrup) - this is artificial sweetener, sometimes denoted as "fructose-glucose syrup". It may be practically in any product: yogurt, even sweetened meat products
- some MEDICATIONS; especially SYRUPS are high in fructose or sorbitol.

You obviously also can't properly absorb FRUCTANS (chains of fructose moleculles) that are in onions, and probably GALACTANS (chains of galactose) that are in beens and many other legumes.

So, it is possible that you can't tolerate most of "FODMAPs" - Fermentable Oligo- (fructans, galactans), Di- (sacharose, lactose, maltose), Mono-saccharides (fructose, galactose) And Polyols (sorbitol, xylitol and other -tols).

Can you tolerate milk (lactose) or beer (maltose)?

Beside that you my be allergic to some of these or other foods.

OK, when you have excluded all what may irritate you, you can start to add fruits (one fruit, than wait 4 days to see what happens, then next fruit...) for which it is known that can be often tolerated in FM (mainly citruses). Most of berries are often well tolerated, but they contain sorbitol or xylitol, so it depends...

FRUCTOSE MALABSORPTION, as I know, doesn't usually go away (have not a lot of experience though).

SUGARS which are often well tolerated in FM:
- pure glucose (available as dextrose in stores). Glucose usually also helps in absorption of fructose, so if you eat dextrose together with some fruits, it may help...honestly, I'm not sure this will work in your case...
- stevia
- splenda
- and most of those artificial sweeteners except HFCS.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Can it take 4 days to see an effect after introducing a fruit? or do you mean i have to eat it every day for 4 days?

Interesting that you say i should avoid asparagus as i eat alot of that in the summer. I'll have to monitor my symptoms. I already realised artichokes don't agree with me.

Is there any reason why bananas don't affect me? you haven't mentioned them at all so don't they have fructose? And do avocados have fructose?

I do think i am lactose intolerant. I don't actually get stomach pains or bloating with diary, but it does cause me to get ezcema (eczema) and acne. I don't ever drink beer, so don't know about that...
First, exclude everything from above list and wait four days. In this period eventual irritating effects of all excluded foods should cease.

Then have only "one serving" (aka "usual" amount) of only one food from that list and wait four days to see if it irritates you. After 4 days try next food...and this way with all foods, you want to try.

Bananas - I know that many people with fructose malabsorption (FM) can eat them without problems. Bananas do contain fructose, but they also contain enough glucose that helps to absorb fructose (will explain some time later).

Asparagus - it bothers some, so have a trial.
Avocado - make a trial.
I recommend starting with citruses: orange, grapefruit..)

All fruits contain fructose. You don't need to avoid *all* fructose like you have to avoid certain food in food allergy. FM is not an allergy. Different people with FM can absorb different amounts of fructose, so there's no list of "safe" foods that would be the same for all - everyone has to find foods safe for him/her by diet trials.    

If milk causes acne, then you may have milk allergy. This is NOT the same as lactose intolerance. Anyway, it may be good if you exclude all dairy also for first four days.

- Also exclude sweat potatoes for 4 days, if you eat it, and then try it.
- Do not eat large amount of wheat in this time - like a lot of white bread.
- To make this trial simple, try to avoid canned food since it often contains HFCS

Beer- it has maltose. Anyway, maltose may be in some chocolates like Snickers, maltose is in malt, and it may be in caned food.
thanks i already avoid all fruits, sugar, yeast and onions, nuts, diary and only eat wholemeal wheat in small amounts. There are only a couple of things i eat from your list, which i seem to be ok with. So i'm all set to start introducing them. But my question was do i eat the introduced fruit on portion every day for 4 days or just one portion once and and wait 4 days? Does it really take that long to notice a difference? my side effects are usually instant, so what side effects could i expect to notice after 4 days? Interesting you mentioned sweet potatoes though as i have a load of those in the fridge waiting to be eaten
You have only one serving of one newly added food at the time and then wait the due time. 4 days was ment to prevent overlaping of eventual symptoms, so you try a choosen food on Monday, and if all OK, you try next food in Thursday. You may adjust this spacing according to your experience, but when getting symptoms, be sure to find out was it today's, or yesterday's food...

In short onset food allergy, you can expect symptoms (itchy hives, lips/mouth/throat tingling, diarrhea, maybe difficult breathing, fainting) within an hour. Symptoms are due to release of histamine that dilate vessels in various parts of the body.

In late onset food allergy, the same symptoms usually appear within 48 hours, typically the next day, in most cases not before 6 hours.

In fructose malabsorption, symptoms (bloating, cramping and often diarrhea, sometimes nausea) may apeaar in few hours or only the next day, and may last for 2 days. Symptoms are due to non-absorbed fructose that reaches the colon where bacteria digest it and release gas and products that irritate the colon.

In hereditary fructose intolerance you get symptoms (severe diarrhea, cramping, vomiting, headache) within hours, you'd have symptoms from the time you've started to eat anything beside breast milk...

In lactose intolerance, symptoms appear the same day, but if you get rash, this is probably some sort of milk alergy (allergy), not intolerance. Symptoms are due to unabsorbed lactose by the principle resembling that one in fructose.

In Candida albicans overgrowth in the colon, any sugar can cause problem, typical symptom beside diarrhea is a "brain fog". Next typical thing is *worsening of symptoms in first days after taking Nystatin (over-the-counter oral anti-fungal drug) due to massive  yeasts breakdown in the colon.

In celiac disease (intolerance to gluten), time course varies a lot...If you can eat wholemeal wheat, you probably don't have celiac.

------------------
I was assuming you have fructose malabsorption, since you can't eat most fruits, onions and artichokes, and you can eat bananas and lemons. But now I'm not sure. It is likely that some foods don't agree with you from other reasons like allergy.

----------------------
If sweet potatoes are waiting you, you can start with them, especially if you don't have bad experience with them. Have "one serving amount" and see what happens.

---------------------
Next you can do the following:
Buy a small package of dextrose in the store (it's a pure glucose). It usually comes in the form of white tablets. Eat them few in the morning and wait that day and the next day to see what happens. If you'll get symptoms, it means you can expect problems with all types of sugars.

If all OK, the third day in the morning, eat one small spoon of table sugar together with at least the same amount of  dextrose, and again see what happens. If you have fructose malabsorption, dextrose will help in absorption of fructose from the table sugar, and you should be OK. If not, then it seems you can't tolerate small amounts of fructose.

------------------
So, only one serving of testing food, but give it at least 24 hours before trying the next. If symptoms appera, wait so long that they disappear completely before starting the new food. Write a diary about what foods and what amount have you tried, and what evental symptoms exactly you've had.

Ok Thanks I'll give it a go......
hey just wondering im gluten and wheat intolent, allergic to dairy and im vegetarian and my doctor seems to think i have fructose malabsorption.
im finding it very difficult to find things to eat.! havent started the diet yet because i accidently eat things and dont realize they have things in them i cant have like onion powder? just wondering if i can eat tofu?
and is it true no fruit or veg with a skin or seed? its very different to no what to eat when the diet says to exclude a select amount of foods and decrease foods so im thinking what about other foods like that seeds and pips.is there anything u can suggest.so confusing. thanks katya
You might want to try posting on the food allergy forum here too!
In your situation, I suggest you have official "breath test with fructose". It's done by gastroenterologist, it's simple: you eat a given meal with fructose, and then amount of gases released from intestinal bacteria is measured in expired air. Results are reliable.

Besides intolerances and allergies you've mentioned, you maybe can't eat some food that "doesn't agree with you" from no apparent reason.

Tofu, even if you have fructose malabsorption (FM), should be fine. But tofu comes as a product that can be sweatened with fructose, HFCS, or polyols (sorbitol, xylitol, etc) and these sugars can cause problems. But tofu itself is not problematic in FM.  

Fruit skin itself should not be problematic in any disorder you've listed. But skin contains a lot of cellulose, and if you have a lot of bacteria in your bowel, they may produce a lot of gas, when breaking down cellulose.

Fruits with seeds, YES this can be problematic in FM. Not because of seeds, but because these fruits contain a lot of fructose or sorbitol. If you have FM, you should avoid pears, apples, plumes and prunes, also any dried fruit in general, and any other "stone fruits": appricotes, peaches, cherries, and such. Many people with FM can safely eat bananas, lemons, grapefruits, and oranges.

Onions contain fructans - chains of fructose. These are also in leeks, asparagus, artichokes, and in wheat. Apart from these you should be fine with most of other vegetables. Green salads, spinach, potatoes, rice should be ok. You can have problems with carrots, beets or anything sweet. You can additionaly have problems with "beans and peas", but you can try.

When considering a new food, have one serving of it, and then don't add any new food at least that and the next day, to see, if you have any symptoms. The safe method is to try one new food every 4th day.

Healthy people can safely eat 25-50 g of fructose "at one sitting". Fructose malabsorption, officially is condition, when you can't safely eat 25g of fructose. Now, some with FM can safely ingest 20 g, but other can't have even 5g. Depends on severity of malabsorption.
FRUITS:
- mango y
- oranges y
- raspberries y
- strawberries y
- watermelon ?
- kiwi ?
VEGETABLES:
- onions y
- leek y
- carrots y
- garlic ?
- parsley ?
CEREALS:
- wheat y
- barley y
LEGUMES:
- beans n
- green peas n
- soy ?
- lentils ?
NUTS:
- pistachios n
- peanuts (peanut butter) n
- hazelnuts n
- almonds n
- cashews n
- chestnuts n
- walnuts n
- coconut n
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose ?
- splenda ?
- maple syrup ?
- molasses ?
- brown sugar ?
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara) n
- sorghum syrup ?
- caramel n
- stevia ?
I added apples and grapes...

FRUITS:
- apple     N
- grapes   N
- mango   N
- oranges Y  (as well as grapefruits)
- raspberries  Not sure
- strawberries  Not sure
- watermelon   Not sure
- kiwi       N
VEGETABLES:
- onions   N
- leek   Not sure
- carrots   Somewhat ok
- garlic   Not sure
- parsley  Y
CEREALS:
- wheat   N
- barley   N
LEGUMES:
- beans   N
- green peas  Somewhat ok
- soy   Suspect No, but need to test more
- lentils  Not sure
NUTS:
- pistachios  Don't like them
- peanuts (peanut butter)  Not sure
- hazelnuts Not sure
- almonds  Not sure
- cashews  Not sure
- chestnuts  Not sure
- walnuts  Not sure
- coconut  Not sure
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose  Y
- splenda  N
- maple syrup  Not sure (cannot tolerate the kind with HFCS)
- molasses  Never eat it
- brown sugar  Not sure
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)  Not sure
- sorghum syrup  Don't know what that is
- caramel   Not sure
- stevia  Don't eat unnatural sweeteners

I guess I need to do more trials with different foods...
Please tell me how to start fructose free diet.  I've battled for 20 years, and it's getting worse.  I have an appt. soon with gastro.  but I'd like to know what to ask him to test.  I've already tried lactose free, but still have problems.  All fruit juices, bananas, watermelon, salad, raisins, sweet potatoes, beans, broccoli, pineapple-don't really know but does give me mouth sores and tingling sensations, and I relate to the pancake syrup-feeling bad all day stories. Another thing I gave up is oatmeal, (like instant ...Maple sugar......Hmmmmm?????)don't really know abut that, except gives me gas. When I told my gastro. dr. about my lactose suspicion, he told me to still eat yogurt, which I tried,(Activia brand) but after 4 days I was miserable,  now I wonder about the fructose in it.  I drink alot of sugar free drinks and chew sugar free gum ( ironically because I thought it helped the bad taste and indigestion) and I am a sweet -a-holic. I'm ready to try anything, though, to get rid of these symptoms.  It's gotten to wear I can't go out for the belching (my husband says NO ONE has that much gas!)  It is so embarrassing.  By the way, I've had a recent colonoscopy, as well as past EGD,(diagonsis: GERD), but antacids have never helped.   ultrasound of gall bladder  and hydascan (within normal limits).   Way back I was given Propulsid, which has been taken off market, I think, which didn't help anyway.
Please share anything that might help
GERD is often triggered by Helycobacter pylori infection of the stomach. So, ask your gastroenterologist to have a breath test for H. pylori.

H. pylori would cause upper abdominal bloating and burping but not flatulence. So, other possible causes are fructose malabsorption, lactose intolerance and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) - one, two or all three conditions at once.

You can start with some elimination diet trials:

1. In low-fructose (not exactly fructose-free) diet you should avoid all fruits and fruit products, honey, wheat, onions artichokes, leeks and any product containing fructose, HFCS, sorbitol or other "polyols" like xylitol, maltitol or mannitol (in "sugar-free chewing gum", "diet sodas" or "low calorie foods")  

2. In lactose-free diet you need to avoid any food containing lactose that is either a natural ingredient in dairy products or additive in many pre-prepared foods and even pills. Serach online for "lactose-free diet" to get some exact list of foods to avoid.

Each of above diet trials should last 4 days. Now, you may make things easy and join both diet trials together - plus avoid any sugar of any kind. This way you get a "low-FODMAP diet" (search online). This diet trial should also last 4 days. If, after 4 days of low-FODMAP diet your symptoms disappear, you (on 5th day only) add wheat, onions, leeks or artichokes (containing fructans) and continue until 8th day with low-FODMAP diet. If all OK, it means you can safely eat wheat, onions, leeks or artichokes. On 9th day (only) you have some milk (1/2 l) and continue with low-FODMAP until 12th day. If all OK, you are not lactose intoleran but if symptoms appear then you probably are. On 13th day (only) you add one orange, grapefruit, banana or kiwi (low in fructose) and continue until 16th day with low-FODMAP diet (and dairy, if it triggered no symptoms). If all OK, on 20th day (only) you add "one portion" of berries (strawberries, blueberries..) and continue with all food that was OK until 24th day. On 25th day (only) you eat one of these: few plums, prunes, one peach, apple, pear or black (not white) grapes and continue with all safe foods until 29th day. If you have fructose malabsorption these foods will likely cause bloating and/or diarrhea. If you already know this, no need to try.

The rule is to give any food type 4 days to see if symptoms will appear (if they will, they will usually appear within 2 days but 4 days is to be sure and to not mix effect of different foods). When you add a new food you eat it only one portion and only one day - so only once.

Before strat all this be sure to have exact lists of low/high fructose foods, lactose-free foods and write down the whole eating plan in advance. If symptoms appear you will know that they were from the last food you've added. In this case just wait until your symptoms go away completely and then continue with the trial.

---------------
Official tests, performed by gastroenterologist, are:
- For fructose malabsorption: hydrogen breath test with fructose    
- For lactose intolerance: Hydrogen breath test with lactose
- For SIBO: hydrogen breath test with lactulose (or xylose)
FRUITS:
- mango N
- oranges N
- raspberries
- strawberries N
- watermelon N
- kiwi N
Any fruit I eat causes me problems - usually a sore throat and if I continue eating it, flu symptoms

VEGETABLES:
- onions Y
- leek
- carrots Not sure
- garlic Y
- parsley Y

CEREALS:
- wheat N
- barley
Haven't eaten this in a few years because am on SCD diet

LEGUMES:
- beans Y
- green peas Not sure
- soy
- lentils N
While I don't think I react to green peas, if I make a soup of it, I do!
Same with carrots, chicken stock - intolerance or too much amines?

NUTS:
- pistachios
- peanuts (peanut butter)
- hazelnuts
- almonds
- cashews
- chestnuts
- walnuts
- coconut
All ok in very small amounts but give me very sore stomach and/or diarrhoea in larger amounts.  I think it is more of a digestive issue than sugar intolerance?

SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose
- splenda
- maple syrup
- molasses
- brown sugar
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)
- sorghum syrup
- caramel
- stevia
All forms of sugar react with me

I don't know what to eat anymore.
If you can't eat oranges, then it seems like you have quite severe fructose malabsorption.

Carrots..if you cook them, some complex carbs are broken down to simple sugars..this is why cooked carrots are sweet.

Legumes contain galactans (molecules with galactose and fructose) which can be broken down in the gut and release fructose.

Nuts are often problematic in FM; can't explain this...

What to eat? What are results of your SCD diet, which is, if I understand it right, a low carb diet?

Wheat may be problematic for you because of fructans, but if you can eat onions which is also rich in fructans, small amount of wheat maybe wouldn't harm you.

Rice, non-wheat pasta, corn/oats/buckwheat bread, meal or pasta, and potatoes should be fine - if you ever decide to try carbs again...
FRUITS:
- mango n
- oranges n
- raspberries n
- strawberries n
- watermelon n
- kiwi n
VEGETABLES:
- onions n
- leek n
- carrots ?
- garlic n
- parsley n
CEREALS:
- wheat n
- barley n
LEGUMES:
- beans ?
- green peas ?
- soy n
- lentils ?
NUTS:
- pistachios n
- peanuts (peanut butter) N
- hazelnuts n
- almonds n
- cashews n
- chestnuts ?
- walnuts n
- coconut ?
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose ?
- splenda n
- maple syrup n
- molasses n
- brown sugar n
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara) 50/50
- sorghum syrup ?
- caramel n
- stevia 50/50
FRUITS:
- mango ?
- oranges Y
- raspberries Y
- strawberries Y
- watermelon ?
- kiwi N
VEGETABLES:
- onions Y
- leek ?
- carrots - cooked only
- garlic Y
- parsley ?
CEREALS:
- wheat - limited
- barley Y
LEGUMES:
- beans N
- green peas N
- soy N
- lentils N
NUTS:
- pistachios N
- peanuts (peanut butter) - limited
- hazelnuts Y
- almonds Y
- cashews N
- chestnuts N
- walnuts N
- coconut - limited
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose ?
- splenda ?
- maple syrup Y
- molasses Y
- brown sugar Y
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara) Y
- sorghum syrup ?
- caramel ?
- stevia Y

I am researching Fructose Malabsorption....trying to figure out if this is my problem. I have an increasing difficulty with gas about one hour after consumption of  fruits like Apples, Cherries, Grapes, and now Peaches. I am lactose intollerant (for about 30 years now). I can eat some hard cheeses and fermented milk products. Definately don't EVER want to combine an apple and yogurt in the same meal. Can't eat oatmeal or other high fiber foods without serious painful gas. Get a lot of pain in the left side just under the ribs if I eat something I shouldn't.

Does this sound like Fructose Malabsorption to you?

Can one add glucose powder to home-baked goods to balance the fructose/glucose equally?
"difficulty with gas about one hour after consumption of  fruits like Apples, Cherries, Grapes, and now Peaches"...yes, these fruits are high in fructose and SORBITOL.

From your answers in the questionnaire above you should avoid or limit foods high in:
- fructose and HFCS
- sorbitol
- fructans (in wheat and onions)
- galactans (in legumes)
- lactose
- other foods you find problematic, like nuts

It seems, like Low-fodmap diet could be ideal for you:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/118248?personal_page_id=801

With adding pure glucose to fructose containing meals, you stimulate absorption of fructose. But you should be aware that many fructose-containing foods also contain sorbitol - and glucose won't help to absorb sorbitol. I personally don't recommend this approach, but I'd rather suggest avoidance of simple sugars in general.
Thank you for your comments. It looks like I need to also learn about sorbitol and galactans. I never wanted to be a food scientist....I just want a piece of apple pie now and then. ;-)  So, is there any way at all to make an apple pie so that the sugars are suitable for digestion for people like me?

Peaches and cherries have only started bothering me this year. I've known I've had a problem with grapes/raisins for many years. What would cause the symptoms to be getting worse? Is there a possibility of yeast overload or some other such complication causing the increased inability to absorb fructose?

In the past when I have gone wheat-free, I usually add more fruits and veggies to my diet. Perhaps this is the reason why this eating style never seemed to work for me. Thank you for your willingness to share.
Apples are typical food causing problems in FM. They contain fructose, but the main problem is not fructose itself but high fructose/glucose ratio (amount of fructose greatly exceeding amount of glucose). For example, table sugar (sucrose) contains equal (1:1) amounts of fructose and glucose and is typically well tolerated by many (not all) individuals with FM. It is because glucose enhances absorption of fructose in the small intestine. So, adding pure glucose to apple pie to make fructose/glucose ratio 1:1 could help. BUT, it is sorbitol in apples that may spoil this idea. You can't "neutralize" sorbitol. What about banana pie? :)
Check for more info about FM:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/21247?personal_page_id=801

This is what can aggravate fructose malabsorption:

- first, fructose malabsorption itself. If you constantly eat fructose containing foods, your small intestine gets irritated and your tolerance for fructose decreases. After 4-8 weeks of eating only non-irritant foods, your intestine could calm down somewhat and your tolerance for fructose could increase a bit. Being able to eat most of berries and most types of sugars means you don't have a severe FM, anyway.
- irritation caused by lactose or any other nutrient (galactans...) can reduce your tolerance for fructose
- any small intestinal disease (celiac or Crohn's disease) can decrease your tolerance for fructose, lactose and other nutrients.

I would suggest you to go irritant food-free for some weeks to see, if you can establish normal digestion. Low-fodmap diet would be a nice try, you should see obvious improvement in few days...

Yeasts do not appear in the small intestine and they appear in the colon only when your immunity is seriously lowered. It's like patients receiving chemotherapy develop  oral thrush (candida in mouth). Intestinal parasites could aggravate fructose malabsorption, though. Dx is with stool test for parasites.

It is small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) that may be caused  by fructose malabsorption and then aggravates it. Dx is with a hydrogen breath test (done by gastroenterologist). SIBO may cause early satiety, sulphur burps, bloating. Treatment is with antibiotics.
Thank you once again for your comments. I believe I WILL do the low Fodmap diet for a few weeks to let things calm down and heal and then trial foods to find my tolerance level. I don't want it to get out of control.

I cannot eat bananas....they give me serious heartburn! :-(

I do love fruits. This will be more difficult than going Gluten-free.
Thanks~
Ditty2
Me again~
Is there anything wrong with eating foods that are HIGHER in Glucose than Fructose as long as the other sugars are low too, such as Dill Pickles or Mushrooms? Just trying to wade through the food lists to form an idea of what I can and cannot eat. Thanks!
Ditty2
No, from the fructose malabsorption viewpoint the problem is when fructose is higher than glucose. Great amount of fructose could be a problem in any case, though.

If you can safely eat sucrose (table sugar) then a principle of adding glucose to fructose can work in your case. If you can't tolerate sugar, then, I'm not sure...
If you feel bloated and experience early satiety..you may consider to have a hydrogen breath test for SIBO, which is common in fructose malabsorption.
Thank you. Bloating yes, early satiety No....But I looked up SIBO and find it inteesting....
Doing a little experiementing while learning about fructose and eating some Smarties when I think I've messed up. I messed up today.
What about Sorbitol? What is a safe amount to consume if trialing a Low Fructose/Sorbitol diet? I have my list of safe fruits/veggies compiled (based on my other food allergies) and now need to work the Sorbitol into the equation. TIA!
Ditty2
Ditty, foods high in sorbitol are:

- plums and prunes
- grapes and raisins
- apples
- pears
- cherries
- peaches
- apricots
- dates
- figs
- and some food products denoted as "sugar free" (like chewing gum or soda) or "low-calorie". Sorbitol in these products is not always denoted as such, but as POLYOLS - this is a group of sugar-like substances that, beside sorbitol, include xylitol, maltitol, mannitol, etc...

Low in fructose and sorbitol are all citruses: oranges, lemons, grapefruit, limetes. If you can eat berries (which actually contain some polyols) then you should be able to eat some sorbitol...now it depends on other nutrients in the food, so you should go food by food.
Start here and find some extensive food charts:

Fructose, lactose, polyols (sorbitol, xylitol, malitol, mannitol and other subsancew ending with -tol), galactans and fructans - this is what you should limit.
Thank you for your kind assistance!
Ditty2
Is it common to become constipated on this diet? I have increased my fluid intake, but it is not helping. TIA!
Ditty2
It's quite posible, especially if you were used to a lot of fruits.

Try to eat some fibre-rich foods like whole-meal or whole-grain bread, "morning cereals" without fructose and dried fruits. If this doesn't help, you can try shredded wheat or psyllium husk. Only don't end up with laxatives....:) Water alone won't help. You can eat green leafy vegetables. Exagerating with fibres can again cause gas, so try to find a good balance.

Fibres + water
Physical activity
Regular meals (not skipping meals)
Avoiding some medications, if posible, like pain-killers

Change of diet itself can cause consipation. Anyway, did it help to reduce gas?
yes, actually, my tummy pain and rumbling have eased quite a bit. Thankyou. I have trouble with high-fiber foods causing a lot of gas and pain as well, so I am hesitant to go with grain fibers. I can't do legumes either. That's why I ate so many raw fruits and veggies...to get my fiber.  I'm not accustomed to eating any leafy greens, other than romaine lettuce for salads. I have no clue how to fix them! Must do more research....
Thanks for your help. I will try to eat more fiber.
Ditty2
Ditty, it would help, if you can tell what have you discovered so far: for which foods you are certain that harm you and which ones are fine. Food intolerances often tend to be quite mixed, as you see.. So, if grain fibres are problematic, you can try to introduce:
- berries, citruses and possibly bananas (?) back into your diet.
- kiwi in the next round (next day)
These fruits are known as well tolerated by many who have FM.

If you have a problem with galactans (legumes, maybe also cauliflower and cabagge), you may also have problem with fructans (wheat, onions, leek, asparagus, artichokes), but you've said No for onions in the questionnaire.

Maybe you have a problem with some specific food that not fit in any category, like someone couldn't tolerate tomatoes (just an example).

I will list the foods I have been eating that seem safe for me at this time. First I will say that in the beginning, I tried dried cranberries and that was a BIG mistake. I may try some raw ones later on. I have also cheated a couple times with ice cream and paid the price for that. I tried homemade pizza and lasagne, but ate my Smarties to be safe. They didn't seem to bother me (other than the cheese issue).

Also, I have limited my wheat consumption, going wheat-free some days and other days limiting to only one serving. All the foods I fixed myself and there were no boxed or convience meals, so artifical additives and preservatives do not cloud the experiment.

Vegetables:
Celery
Peppers
Onions
Green Beans (the only legume I can eat)
Mushrooms
Cucumber
Sweet Potato
Red Potato

Fruits:
Red Raspberries
Homemade Strawberry Jam

Nuts & Seeds:
Almonds
Sunflower Seeds
Peanutbutter

Meats:
Beef
Pork
Chicken
Turkey
Scallops

Grains:
Corn
Rice
Spelt
Wheat

Beverages:
Coffee
Tea
Almond Milk

Sweeteners:
Stevia
Granulated Sugar

Misc:
Canola Oil
Palm Oil
Mustard
Miracle Whip
Dill Pickles
Munster Cheese
Moz. Cheese
Cheddar Cheese
Minimal Egg
White Vinegar
Homemade Tomato Sauce

Tonight I tried a little cup of mandarin oranges in light syrup. No HFCS.  I do have a little bit of gurgling going on, but nothing significant. I think I will wait another week before I try that again.

So, I think I'll continue with this for a while and trial some of the low sorbitol fruits first and see how it goes! I hope any inflammation in the large intestine heals up on this diet and I can add to it later on.

Thanks so much. I hope my experience helps you with your research. I certainly appreciate your help.
Ditty2
Most berries contain xylitol that acts like sorbitol. In dried fruits concentration of xylitol or sorbitol is increased, so it seems you should avoid dried fruits in general.

In fructose malabsorption, wheat may be problematic (only for some) if eaten in large amounts. Limiting wheat seems to be rational try, but you can experiment with this further...If you want, you can also try barley, oats or buckwheat.

From fruits you can try orange, grapefruit, lemon, limete or banana (and related juices if not containing sorbitol or other polyols).

I hope you'll manage to avoid constipation, since this can pretty much spoil your experiment. When stool stays in the colon for prolonged time, bacteria break down some fibres in it and yield gas.

Tomato sauce may be problematic...not necessary for you, just telling you
Sweat potatoe is problematic for some

Search
"nutrition guide for fructose malabsorption" in Google , you'll find one table with not/recommended foods. The table may not be exactly accurate for you, but just to get an idea what all can be problematic.
Thank you!
update: The mardarin oranges are on the NO list for now.
I only had sweet potatoes once during the week and tomato sauce (on pizza and lasagne) twice. I did not notice the typical reaction. There could be a tolerance level.

I cannot do bananas, but will try orange and grapefruit next. Any significant changes, I will be sure to post!
Ditty2
I tried Pineapple, not having any oranges or grapefruit. I didn't have ANY PROBLEMS !! ;-)  I've had them twice now.
Ditty2
Pineapple is pretty low in fructose and has fructose/glucose ratio about 1 or lower, so your experience relates to theory...

You may also try kiwi.

...and zucchini.
Kiwi and zucchini are passes. What happens to the fructose level if I dehydrate Kiwi? Will it increase with the same ratio as the glucose? Technically, if I can eat a fruit/veggie in raw and cooked form, can I also eat it dried? (if I dry it myself and don't add anything to it.)
Ditty2
I can't say reliably, if some glucose would be converted to fructose or vice versa during drying kiwi. Obviously, both glucose and fructose levels would increase qiute a bit. In general, drying adds to the FM problem...

Raw, cooked and dried fruits are not the same when it comes to food intolerances or even food allergies. If you cook carrots, some long-chain carbohydrates are broken down to fructose and glucose, so cooked carrots may be sweat, while raw ones are usually not. So, in general, yes, it's posible that F/G ratio changes during cooking or drying.

Also, bananas are typical fruit well tolerated by many with FM. If you can't tolerate bananas, it means, there may be something other in bananas what irritates you. It's also a big difference between riped and green bananas...

Thanks!
Ditty2
Hi, I have SIBO and I wanted to contribute to this thread. I believe I have fructose malabsoprtion caused by the SIBO, which also makes it hard to digest sucralose, fiber and even some starches. I like that you are asking these questions. SO many people believe that such healthy foods like fruits and vegetables and whole grains can be damaging for people, but there are those of us who just cannot eat them.

FRUITS:
- mango N
- oranges N
- raspberries Y
- strawberries in moderation
- watermelon N
- kiwi N
VEGETABLES
-onions in moderation
- leek Y
- carrots in moderation
- garlic Y
- parsley Y
CEREALS:
- wheat in moderation
- barley N
LEGUMES:
- beans N
- green peas in moderation
- soy in moderation
- lentils N
NUTS:
- pistachios in moderation
- peanuts (peanut butter) in moderation
- hazelnuts in moderation
- almonds in moderation
- cashews in moderation
- chestnuts in moderation
- walnuts in moderation
- coconut Y
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose tiny amounts
- splenda N
- maple syrup N
- molasses N
- brown sugar N
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara) tiny amounts
- sorghum syrup N
- caramel N
- stevia Y
Adwilliams,

some individuals with FM can not (completely) tolerate fructans and galactans, so this might be a reason you can't tolerate wheat and onions (contain fructans) and galactans (in legumes). Besides these and fructose, you may not tolerate sorbitol and other polyols (xylitol, maltitol...).

Search online for "Low-fodmap diet" - it excludes all mentioned nutrients.
thought I'd join in,

I'm also fructose intolerant...sad thing with me is I *WISH* I had IBS-D like all of you but instead my fructose intolerance causes severe IBS-C/anxiety/insomnia  which makes it REALLY hard to figure out safe foods because if I eat something wrong it lasts for 4+ days... so testing foods sometimes takes weeks and weeks and i'm still figuring out what's safe and what is not.

I'm very jealous of some you.  Brown rice concentrated (rice milk for example) brings out the worst for me.  Good luck all.
By the way Boron thanks for your journals/posts...you've helped me finally get a diagnosis over the years - this is a great website for any of you suffering with health issues.
can you tolerate a small amount, like a tespoon of a table sugar?  Also, from when do you have digesting problems?

Search for "nutrition guide for fructose malabsorption" and check a table with many examples of safe "to try" and "to avoid" foods. If that doesn't help, you can tell for more foods you can't tolerate, since FM is often combined with other food intolerances.
Hey :)

You know mine is really weird.. I can tolerate some amounts of sugar even almost a spoon full of it...luckily, but it's fruit juice concentrate or brown rice...rice milk.. soy..corn..at first I thought it was only soy...then gluten but small things, even dates send me into a pure nausea misery.

anyway I bought the blue book from amazon, and also I've been using a few lists online but anything with concentrated forms or raisins or dates..cranberry's honey of course.. wheat/corn give me serious issues as well as oats so i'm not sure if it's a gluten issue as well.

I've been sick since October of 2005 *yes that long sadly* my dumb doctors never even thought about recommending testing for it with pure nausea/anxiety/insomnia/IBS loose stools/constipation and only NOW being fructose free for a few weeks my hands are not sweating and even though i'm still having IBS issues I've improved big time.  Thanks for the advice!
Mathew007,

I encourage you to find out what are you intolerant to exactly.

I'm pretty sure you have fructose malabsorption (FM) - dates, raisins and honey are rich in fructose. You can tolerate table sugar (= 50% fructose + 50% glucose), since one mollecule of glucose helps in absorption of one mollecule of fructose even in people with FM. So, you might tolerate other foods with greater amount of glucose than fructose. Be aware, that you don't need to avoid even tinny amounts of fructose, if you have FM. The important thing is, which exact foods (nutrients) you can't tolerate.

Fruit juice often contains either fructose or sorbitol.
There is some fructose in brown rice.
Oats is rich in soluble fiber. Pure oats should not contain gluten, but it can be contaminated with it during harvesting and other processes.
Can't explain why corn would irritate you - I mean, it's probably just a separate intolerance.

Are you sure about gluten? If you can tolerate wheat "in moderation", you don't likley have celiac. d., but you probably can't tolerate *fructans*, which are in wheat and onions.
Yeah i'm still in the process of trying to figure out what I can and can't do..

It's weird I think it may be the cornflour used in wheat that may be the problem.. but I can tell for sure when I eat something too much with fructose (instant headache/nausea/insomnia/anxiety/IBS issues) so I'm a weird case but it's still trial and error.

The oats I *SHOULD* be fine with so i'm experimenting with plain water/milk combo's trying to figure out what to do there because the last 2 weeks i've been eating nothing but eggs (which works but gets old super quick).  I'm not sure about gluten which is why i'm testing myself..quaker oats I believe are not gluten free, but I could be wrong but we'll see.

anyway thanks for the advice, too bad there's not a test out there that tells you exactly what to do and what to avoid :P
FRUITS:
N- mango
N-oranges
N- raspberries
Y- strawberries
N- watermelon
N- kiwi
VEGETABLES Vegetable laxative:
Y- onions
?- leek
Y(Cooked)- carrots
Y- garlic
Y- parsley
CEREALS:
Y- wheat
Y- barley
LEGUMES:
Y- beans
Y- green peas
Y- soy
Y- lentils
NUTS:
N- pistachios
50/50- peanuts (peanut butter)
Y- hazelnuts
Y- almonds
50/50- cashews
?- chestnuts
Y- walnuts
50/50- coconut
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
?- sucrose
Y- splenda
N- maple syrup
50/50- molasses
Y- brown sugar
Y- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)
?- sorghum syrup
Y- caramel
?- stevia
FRUITS:
- mango  N
- oranges N
- raspberries N
- strawberries N
- watermelon N
- kiwi N
VEGETABLES:
- onions Y
- leek  not sure
- carrots  Y
- garlic  Y
- parsley  Y
CEREALS:
- wheat  Y
- barley  Y
LEGUMES:
- beans  sometimes Y sometimes N
- green peas  don't know
- soy  Y
- lentils  Y
NUTS:
- pistachios  Y
- peanuts (peanut butter)   Y
- hazelnuts  Y
- almonds   Y
- cashews  Y
- chestnuts   Y
- walnuts   Y
- coconut   Y
SUGARS/SWEETENERS: don't consume any
- sucrose
- splenda
- maple syrup
- molasses
- brown sugar
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)
- sorghum syrup
- caramel
- stevia

Hi Boron, hope u can help me.  I've been living vegan for about 20 months now (& don't wanna give up that.-by now only the thought of animal products makes me sick & became lactose-intolerant too)  . I eat a lot of self-prepared fruit cocktails, salads, and veggies.  But in the last 2 months or so  I seem to have become fructose intolerant.  I cannot eat my usual big fruit cocktails anymore  without getting bloated and a lot of gas; & some level of tolerable stomachache  but nevertheless the whole thing is extreme uncomfortable.  Can one suddenly become fructose intolerant?  have any advise?   Thank you!!
Me again:  I forgot to mention several hours of diahrrea after eating the fruit salad. Next day everything ok, and stays ok, until I eat the next fruit salad. By now it's clear it's not a coincidence.  So: bloating, gas, diahrrea, light stomachache.  Only with fruit.
Yes, one can develop fructose malabsorption at any time just like lactose intolerance. Note that it is *malabsorption* (intolerance is an old term and I can't edit the original post), so you probably can safely ingest a certain amount of fructose. What amount - you should find by yourself.

From what you have checked above, I actually do not know, if you can safely eat any fruit. Strawberries and oranges are low in fructose, but you can't eat these. Fruits are not so essential as someone would think. You can consider them as sweets. I believe you can get all vitamins from vegetables, but I guess you will need to eat some *fresh* vegetables. The problem can be sorbitol and other polyols (xylitol, manitol..) in "sugar free" or "low-calorie" foods.

Search for "fructose malabsorption" in Google for more details, there are some good nutrition guides available.
Thanks for your prompt answer!  As far as I know, the only safe fruit so far has been the banana.  But I know that because it's the only fruit that I eat separate (with muesli,cereals and soymilk)  but all the other fruits I eat them mixed in cocktails, I mix at least 4 kinds of fruits  (I find it boring eating them alone, not so enjoyable), so I just assumed that it's all of them the problem, or the mixture (and the amount) but it could actually be the case that  strawberries and orange alone are safe...  I'll have to try them separate.    Thanks again.
All citrus fruits, kiwi, banana and most berries are often well tolerated by many individuals with fructose malabsorption.
FRUITS:
- mango - N
- oranges - N
- raspberries - N
- strawberries - N
- watermelon - N
- kiwi - N
- blueberries - n
- Apples (green or red) - N
- Grapes - N
- Cantalope - N
- Peaches - N
- Pears - N
- Cherries - N
VEGETABLESVegetable laxative:
- onions (red,yellow & White) - N
- leek  - Don't Know
- carrots - DO NOT EAT
- garlic -N
- parsley - DO NOT EAT
CEREALS:
- wheat Only eat whole wheat homemade tortillas
- barley - don't know
- Oats - YES
- Rice - Eat Brown rice only
LEGUMES:
- beans - Eat Black beans, low fat refried beans, chick peas, dark red kidney beans with minor bloating
- green peas - Choose not to eat
- soy - Eat tofu once a week, no issues
- lentils - Yes
NUTS:
- pistachios - Choose not to eat
- peanuts (peanut butter) - Eat but with bloating
- hazelnuts - Choose not to eat
- almonds - Eat but with some bloating
- cashews - Choose not to eat
- chestnuts - Choose not to eat
- walnuts - Choose not to eat
- coconut - NO WAY - super bad bloating and sickness
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose - NO
- splenda - CHOOSE NOT TO EAT
- maple syrup - NO
- molasses - NO
- brown sugar - NO
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara) - NO
- sorghum syrup -NO
- caramel - NO
- stevia - Yes  
It looks like there is one rule (at least partial): those who cannot safely eat sucrose, also have problems with nuts.
Hey boron, I really hope you can help me out. What's wrong with me?!

FRUITS:
- mango N
- oranges Y
- raspberries N
- strawberries N
- watermelon N (the smell alone makes me throw up)
- kiwi N
VEGETABLES
Vegetable laxative
:
- onions N (only when boiled/fried)
- leek N
- carrots N
- garlic Y
- parsley N
CEREALS:
- wheat Y
- barley Y
LEGUMES:
- beans Y
- green peas N
- soy Y
- lentils N
NUTS:
- pistachios N (after half a handful, I feel really sick)
- peanuts (peanut butter) Y
- hazelnuts Y
- almonds N (same with pistachios)
- cashews N (same)
- chestnuts N (same)
- walnuts N (same)
- coconut N (same)
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose Don't know
- splenda Don't know
- maple syrup Y
- molasses Y
- brown sugar Y
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara) Y
- sorghum syrup Y
- caramel Y
- stevia Y

Y is Yes for "I can tolerate it". N is No for "I can't tolerate it".

Note: everytime i peel the skin off an apple, i can eat it with no problem. It seems as though my stomach has trouble digesting the skin of fruits/vegetables. I can eat oranges because the skin is not eaten. I've even peeled off the skin of a strawberry and i could eat a few before feeling too too sick. I get a feeling of bloating and i feel like throwing up from eating and even smelling some fruits/vegetables (especially watermelon). I can't even eat a shred of lettuce, broccoli, tomatoe, NOTHING...

What should I do?  My skin is dying from malnutrition ):
Thanks, I really appreciate any help.
FRUITS:
- mango
- oranges N
- raspberries Y
- strawberries Some
- watermelon N
- kiwi
VEGETABLES
Vegetable laxative
:
- onions N
- leek N
- carrots Some
- garlic N
- parsley
CEREALS:
- wheat N
- barley
LEGUMES:
- beans N
- green peas N
- soy Some
- lentils N
NUTS:
- pistachios Y
- peanuts (peanut butter) Some
- hazelnuts
- almonds Y
- cashews N
- chestnuts
- walnuts
- coconut N
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose N
- splenda
- maple syrup Some
- molasses N
- brown sugar Some
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara) Y
- sorghum syrup
- caramel
- stevia
It's a useful info, you ca eat some berries, even if you can't eat oranges.
I do not tolerate any sugars, fructose, sucrose.  No fruit, no artificial sweeteners, no sugar alcohols, etc.  I seem to be intolerant of corn and rice also.  Wheat when not mixed with sugar seems to help.  No dairy. I have been dx'd with breath test.  Also dx'd with microscopic colitis.

Pat
FRUITS:
N- mango
N- oranges
N- raspberries
N- strawberries
N- watermelon
N- kiwi
VEGETABLES:
N- onions
N- leek
N- carrots
N- garlic
N- parsley
CEREALS:
?- wheat
?- barley
LEGUMES:
N- beans
N- green peas
?- soy
N- lentils
NUTS:
N- pistachios
?- peanuts (peanut butter)
?- hazelnuts
?- almonds
?- cashews
?- chestnuts
?- walnuts
N- coconut
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
N- sucrose
N- splenda
N- maple syrup
N- molasses
N- brown sugar
N- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)
N- sorghum syrup
N- caramel
N- stevia
I have been told by my doctor that I have IBS.

FRUITS:
- mango Y
- oranges Y
- raspberries Y
- strawberries Y
- watermelon Y
- kiwi Y
VEGETABLES:
- onions N
- leek UNSURE
- carrots Y
- garlic Y
- parsley Y
CEREALS:
- wheat Y
- barley Y
LEGUMES:
- beans N
- green peas Y
- soy N
- lentils N
NUTS:
- pistachios Y
- peanuts (peanut butter) Y
- hazelnuts Y
- almonds Y
- cashews Y
- chestnuts Y
- walnuts Y
- coconut Y
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose Unsure for most of these except maple syrup
- splenda
- maple syrup BIG NO
- molasses
- brown sugar
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)
- sorghum syrup
- caramel
- stevia

I'm unsure about a lot of foods as I almost always feel bloated and quite often have the runs. For the few items that i put N I know for sure are hard on my stomach. But when I have real maple syrup I get brain freeze and feel like i need to throw up. I haven't always been like that.
FRUITS:
- mango N
- oranges N
- raspberries N
- strawberries N
- watermelon N
- kiwi N
VEGETABLES:
- onions N
- leek ?
- carrots N
- garlic Y
- parsley Y
CEREALS:
- wheat N
- barley N
LEGUMES:
- beans N
- green peas N
- soy Y (in moderation)
- lentils Y
NUTS:
- pistachios Y (in moderation)
- peanuts (peanut butter) Y
- hazelnuts Y
- almonds Y
- cashews Y
- chestnuts never really eaten these
- walnuts never really eaten these either
- coconut Y
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose N
- splenda N
- maple syrup N
- molasses Y
- brown sugar Y
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara) Y
- sorghum syrup Y
- caramel had some on coconut ice cream last night for the first time in years and had a little stomach upset
- stevia never really eaten this either

I've been diagnosed with IBS and have gluten intolerance, dairy allergy, and never really been able to eat any fruit except for avocados, lemons, and limes.  I also can't eat corn, corn flour, or corn meal if it is the first ingredient is something like cereal.  It comes back up in just about exactly a half hour.  I have always been curious if the fruit intolerance is a real thing.
45 and seems like I have always been running for a bathroom after eating. Just drank some organic black cherry juice mixed with orange/lime sparkling water and it is tearing me up. Been trying to eat cherries because I have gotten gout 4 times since Xmas. Real cherries are tearing me up too. Had to stop oatmeal. Fiberone and Fiberplus bars leave bloated and sounding like a motorboat for hours. Fried eggs are usually a no/no. Cut down on any nuts because of the gout. Cancelled a scope twice but will do it later this year.
FRUITS:
- mango (Don't like)
- oranges N
- raspberries Y
- strawberries Y
- watermelon Y
- kiwi N
VEGETABLES:
- onions NNN
- leek NNN
- carrots Y
- garlic N
- parsley N/A
CEREALS:
- wheat N
- barley N
LEGUMES:
- beans N
- green peas N
- soy N
- lentils N
NUTS:
- pistachios N
- peanuts (peanut butter) N
- hazelnuts N
- almonds N
- cashews N
- chestnuts N
- walnuts N
- coconut  N
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose N
- splenda N
- maple syrup  N
- molasses  N
- brown sugar N
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara) N
- sorghum syrup N
- caramel N
- stevia N

I am new to all of this eliminating stuff! I was diagnosed with IBS years and years ago and I am so bad as I still carry on eating allt he rubbish which is causing me so much pain and discomfort. I have piled on weight over the years and am always bloated, gassy and sick. I am currently on prescribed gastro resistant capsules every morning as I can't tolerate food in general without being sick or having severe acid reflux. I don't think my GP has a clue as he just keeps putting me back on the tablets evertime I go back for a consultation. I can't tolerate dairy and I think I may be fructose intolerant as I can't seem to eat any fruit at all and I have been drinking sug free pop which I believe has been causing me problems. I ahve switched back to regular white sugar and this seems to have helped in that area. I wasnt to lose weight, but because of all of the intolerances, I can't seem to eat a healthy diet. Cannot stomach yogurts, ice cream, cheese (although I used to eat this without problems) I just reintorduce wholemeal bread afetr weeks of not eating it and noticed that I have started to become bloated and gassy again. I am so miserable - I could really do with some help - thank you
FRUITS:
N- mango
N- oranges
N- raspberries
N- strawberries
?- watermelon
N- kiwi
VEGETABLES:
50/50- onions
?- leek
50/50- carrots
50/50- garlic
?- parsley
CEREALS:
Y- wheat
Y- barley
LEGUMES:
50/50- beans
50/50- green peas
Y- soy
?- lentils
NUTS:
?- pistachios
Y- peanuts (peanut butter)
?- hazelnuts
Y- almonds
?- cashews
?- chestnuts
Y- walnuts
Y- coconut
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
Y- sucrose
Y- splenda
Y- maple syrup
Y- molasses
Y- brown sugar
?- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)
?- sorghum syrup
Y- caramel
?- stevia

I eat a largely vegetarian diet. Fruits were a huge part of my diet for many years. I'm not fond of drinking fluids, so fruits provided much of my water intake as well. In my 30's I developed what I thought were ulcerative symptoms which included stabbing pains anywhere from my stomach area and downward. I also experience daily gastric reflux. I took Nexium for a few years and found great relief. I have always experienced sores in my mouth if I drink the more pure "not from concentrate" lemonade. I can more easily tolerate the cheap mostly sugar type lemonade (but yuck). I googled the lemonade/mouth ulcers & found something about "fruit allergy". I experimented by eliminating fruits & fruit juice & sherberts from my diet and my daily stomach pain issues magically disappeared. I LOVE fruits & am often tempted. Every single time I ingest a serving of fruit or juice I get very smushy bowel movements or diarrhea nearly every couple hours for about 24 hours. Then my bowels go back to being completely normal (firm stool, 2-3 times a day).

MY CURRENT DIET: pasta (mostly whole wheat), whole wheat breads, green veggies, ice cream, coffee, chocolate, cheese pizza, and water......

I try to choose organic options if affordable and prefer whole wheat and choose high-fructose-free options if possible.

MY TRIGGERS: any sort of fruit or fruit juice including bananas, all flavors of sherbert cause stomach pain (w/o diarrhea), mouth ulcers, and irritate my gums. Kiwi really irritates my gums and feels like it scratches them.  

DON'T NOTICE SYMPTOMS: sugars, candy, chocolate, dairy, green veggies in moderation
FRUITS:
no- mango
no- oranges
?raspberries
no- strawberries
no- watermelon
no- kiwi
VEGETABLES:
n- onions
-? leek
y- carrots
n- garlic
?- parsley
CEREALS:
bad- wheat
real bad- barley
LEGUMES:
y- beans
?- green peas
bad- soy
-y lentils
NUTS:
-n pistachios
n- peanuts (peanut butter)
-? hazelnuts
-? almonds
?- cashews
?- chestnuts
-? walnuts
?- coconut
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
-n sucrose
-n splenda
-? maple syrup
- ?molasses
-? brown sugar
- ?raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)
- ?sorghum syrup
- ncaramel
- ?stevia .
My nine year old daughter and I were diagnosed with Fructose malabsorption by my gastroenterologist based on symptoms (without doing the breath test). I went 100% fructose & sugar free for 6 weeks and felt better than I ever have. And my daughter seemed to drastically be doing better as well. THEN.... reintroduced low fructose foods and very small amounts of sugar and started experiencing a lot of symptoms again that had gone away. Headaches, tightness in my throat, muscle pain, joint pain, fatigue, lower back pain, kidney pain, urinary distress, blood in my urine, trouble concentrating, etc. My concern is that we might actually have fructose intolerance not fructose malabsorption.  Any advice would be helpful.
Hi, I recommend you to get tested for hereditary fructose intolerance (HFI). I've heard for such hard syptoms (symptoms) in HFI, but not in fructose malabsorption (FM).

There's one useful forum for HFI here:
http://hfiinfo.proboards.com/index.cgi
So far just apple. My two-year-old can't eat apples in any form(dried, juice, raw, ...) without getting really bad diarrhea. I try to use artificial sweeteners as little as possible and he hasn't reacted to anything else.
Having problems with apples, but not other foods does not speak for fructose malabsorption, but more for allergy to apples.
Here's my story.  I'm lactose intolerant and have lots of other foods that give me major problems about 24 post ingestion.  All dried fruits, any kind of citrus zest, peaches of any kind, other stone fruits, lettuce, whole grain anything, brown rice, any kind of bean, high gluten breads, i.e., bagels, sour dough all cause problems.  The fruits and vegetables that I can eat, such as pineapple and tomato and the ones listed below, I can only do in moderation.  My options seem to get fewer and fewer and I love to cook.  At least then I can control  the menu.  Eating out is a lot less fun.  Help!

FRUITS:
- mango Y
- oranges N
- raspberries Y
- strawberries N
- watermelon N
- kiwi Y
VEGETABLES:
- onions Y
- leek Y
- carrots Y
- garlic Y
- parsley Y
CEREALS:
- wheat N
- barley ?
LEGUMES:
- beans N
- green peas Y
- soy ?
- lentils N
NUTS:
- pistachios ?
- peanuts (peanut butter) N
- hazelnutsN
- almonds N
- cashews N
- chestnuts ?
- walnuts N
- coconut ?
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose
- splenda
- maple syrup Maybe
- molasses
- brown sugar N
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)
- sorghum syrup
- caramel
- stevia
To know if you have celiac disease and fructose malabsorption you may have appropriate tests. Some people who have all these food intolerance tests negative may be still irritated by several foods - it is said they have IBS. IBS is often transitional and becomes less severe with age, while fructose malabsorption tends to become worse.
I have an intolerance to fruit, dairy, and gutten.
I don't have problems with melons or mango. Pears seem ok is small amounts but the basics like apples, oranges, bananas and berries are very bad, but I don't have troubles with any sugars any candy is fine. I struggles with any fibers except veggies no troubles there. Bean are also an issue. I find it funny that I can have fried food with not issues but thing like fuirt can mess me up. I can't eat any thing is restaurants unless it is fired or I get super sick it can last for days, I think it is butter contamination but if it is fried it must counter act the butter some how.
I don't get it at all I was fine 3 years ago with not issues with food now am down to eating meat veggies and sugar.
My symptoms range from constipation  to diarrhea to it messing with my metal state.
I wish I could eat fuirt again I don't care about the rest I would even give up sugar for fuirt.
Have you been officially diagnosed for allergy to milk or celiac disease? Do you get any skin rash after eating?
I'm 47 and live in Auckland, New Zealand. Certain foods give me quite violent diarrhea and some abdominal bloating. This has become an issue over the last couple of years and I'm thinking perhaps the hormonal change towards being pre menopause could be related?
I get nausea if I have honey, not bad enough to vomit. A friend has given me some Manuka honey to try and I've found that better and certainly tolerable.
I get violent diarrhea if I have either large amounts of sugar free gum or just one green apple (the colour green such as Granny Smiths). It seems to last about 2-3 hours.
What I can eat is large amounts of lollies without any ill affects except the dreaded sugar low. Most days I eat 2-3 pieces of fruit without any issue.
I have identified the foods that trigger the diarrhea and avoid them generally, although I can have small quantities without too much trouble.
Having diarrhea after honey and sugar-free gum (usually sweetened with polyols, such as sorbitol, xylitol...) may speak for fructose malabsorption, but I'm not sure. Honey fructose content may vary greatly. Most apples are high in fructose. Sacharose (table sugar) or glucose in lollies are usually not problematic in FM. Berries, bananas and citrus fruits are low in fructose. It also depends show much fruits do you eat at once.
FRUITS:
- mango- ?
- oranges- Y
- raspberries- Y
- strawberries- Y
- watermelon- N (diarrhoea, bad gas)
- kiwi- N (feel sick)
VEGETABLES:
- onions- N (diarrhoea, bad gas)
- leek- ?
- carrots- N
- garlic- N
- parsley- N (diarrhoea)
CEREALS:
- wheat- N (constipation)
- barley- ?
LEGUMES:
- beans- ?
- green peas- N
- soy- N
- lentils- N
NUTS:
- pistachios- ?
- peanuts (peanut butter)- Y (I think)
- hazelnuts- N
- almonds- N
- cashews- ?
- chestnuts- ?
- walnuts- ?
- coconut- N
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose- Y
- splenda- ?
- maple syrup- ?
- molasses- ?
- brown sugar- N
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara)- ?
- sorghum syrup- ?
- caramel- ?
- stevia- ?

I am currently confused about my symptoms. I thought that perhaps I might have fructose malabsorption. I had a hydrogen breath test for fructose malabsorption which came back negative. Despite this I have recently stopped eating the foods that I have problems with which also include biscuits with HFCS, tomatoes, swede, red peppers, brown rice. I have had no diarrhoea since stopping.

Can the hydrogen breath test be incorrect?

Although I no longer suffer from diarrhoea I still suffer bloating and constant flatulence problems. I am wondering if I have a candida problem as well.

Can fructose malabsorption lead to problems with yeast over growth?

I am considering going on a candida diet as well and wondered whether people sensitive to high amounts of fructose can eat stevia?
you need to be tested for first, small intestine bacterial overgrowth and then fructose malabsorption!...both done with a hydrogen breath test! See a good gastroenterologist. You sound classic for it!
My name is Rhonda I am a 41 year old Vegetarian with constant tummy problems, bloating and pain being the most troublesome.
I am unable to eat apple and pear in any form, fruit cocktail,  anything diet pop or candy, fruit juice, beer, gum and possibly banana onion and garlic.
Also I have noticed that often my urine smells very sweet like sugar crisp cereal??????? Not sure if that has anything to do with my bodies inability to break it down.

FRUITS:
?- mango
Y- oranges
Y- raspberries
Y- strawberries
Y- watermelon
Y- kiwi
VEGETABLES:
?- onions
?- leek
Y- carrots
Y- garlic
Y- parsley
CEREALS:
Y- wheat
Y- barley
LEGUMES:
Y- beans
Y- green peas
Y- soy
Y- lentils
NUTS:
Y- pistachios
Y- peanuts (peanut butter)
Y- hazelnuts
Y- almonds
Y- cashews
Y- chestnuts
Y- walnuts
Y- coconut
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
N- sucrose
N- splenda
N- maple syrup
Y- molasses
Y- brown sugar
Urine may smell sweet due to acetone or other "ketone bodies." The condition is called "ketonuria"; common reasons are fasting, low-carbohydrate diet and diabetes. I recommend you to ask a doctor for appropriate tests.

Smelly urine is not characteristic for fructose malabsorption (FM), but bloating and other GI symptoms are. Apples, pears and onions are often problematic in FM, but I can't say do you have FM or not.
hi im kazim from pakistan, age 32 years wt. 55 kg
i have also food allergy/food intolerance.
i have sever intolerance with milk, dairy products, fats, beans, all kinds of sweets and sugar, all fruits, i have done all kinds of tests nothing diagnosed, always have gastro problem, irregular sticky past like bowl, if have used medicine for many years to cure ibs but no improvement, now a friend said to test for food allergy,
is there anyone who did food intolerance test, is there any treatment of food allergy ....any solution ....
I am already diagnosed gluten intolerant, dairy, soy, intolerant. Fructose malabsorption diagnosed last month. Allergy tests negative, but some of my symptoms were allergy like. Most difficult thing is the conflicting information available. One website says a food should be fine, another says same food isn't. I seem to feel perfect on meat, potatoes, white rice and little or no fruits and veggies. Adding powdered glucose does make a big difference for me with some foods.  But I can't even chew gum without feeling nauseated.

FRUITS:
- mango yuck. ;)
- oranges Y
- raspberries Y
- strawberries Y
- watermelon N
- kiwi N
- banana Y small amounts

VEGETABLES:
- onions NNN
- leek NNN
- carrots Small quantities
- garlic N
- parsley Y
CEREALS:
- wheat N
- barley N
LEGUMES:
- beans N
- green peas don't like :)
- soy N.  soy makes me incredibly sick. Horrible nausea, stomach pain.
- lentils N
NUTS: not sure about nuts- except coconut I know is not good.
- pistachios ?
- peanuts (peanut butter)
- hazelnuts ?
- almonds ?
- cashews ?
- chestnuts ?
- walnuts ?
- coconut N. Very bad.
SUGARS/SWEETENERS:
- sucrose small amounts of table sugar okay.
- splenda N all artificial sweeteners cause horrible gas.
- maple syrup N
- molasses N
- brown sugar N
- raw sugar (Turbinado, Demerara) N
- sorghum syrup N
- caramel N
- stevia haven't tried because its on avoid list my Dr. gave me.
All fruits, nuts, avacados, chili, tomatoes give me diarrhea.  I'm ok with milk products, meat, bread, cheese
Do you have any official diagnosis?