Gastroenterology Community
Can't burp - Severe Stomach Pains

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Can't burp - Severe Stomach Pains

Whenever I drink beer (I've never drank enough pop for this to occur), after maybe 2 beers there's a huge gas buildup in my stomach.

Unfortunately , I don't know how to burp, and my body never seems to burp by itself.

Yesterday I had this problem, and I felt like I was going to throw up...I walked over to a sink, and felt myself "readying for throwing up" (I seemed to start to gag), and then I gagged twice as if I were throwing something up, but instead two HUGE quasi-burps came out. It was just two loud bellows of air being expelled. Immediately I felt better, but there was still excess air in my stomach that hadn't been expelled, and again I couldn't burp them out...I didn't try to drink anymore to see if it would happen again, but I really want some insight as to what's going on...

Is there some reason I can't burp? Or some way to expel the gas? Is there a reason it seems to buildup so fast and cause the discomfort?

Sorry, just wanted to add:

Usually if I eat a meal, afterwards I will have some gas buildup. What happens is eventually it gets expelled thru my mouth by "gurgling". Its not a burp, just little pockets of air slip out involuntarily, and in VERY minute amounts.

It usually takes about 30minutes after eating for this to start, and then maybe another 15 before they end...whereas most people seem to be able to expel ALL the air created by eating in one burp.

I think the beer thing is similar in just that there was no time for the gurgles to happen, and there was so much pressure that it just all came out.
I have sort of the same problem! I usually feel sick to my stomach after I eat, and the doctors haven't found out whats wrong yet. Whenever I try to drink alcohol, I get massive air buildup as well, get sick to my stomach, and am unable to drink anymore than one or two. Hopefully someone else has an answer to this.
If it's only when you drink beer, (is it unfiltered too? like UFO or blue moon or something?) it just could be the gas bubbles from carbonation and possibly yeast in the mix.

I used to have severe gas problems all over from my stomach down to my guts - but I cut out soda and beer and such bubbly drinks and you wouldn't believe how much it helps. I'm never bloated or gassy anymore!!!

Hope this helps - I don't think anything's seriously wrong with you. Otherwise you'd see other symptoms.
go on google and type in these words: can't burp my whim
You will find an old blog post with lots of comments about this similar problem...and the second result is a forum the blog owner created just for people who can't burp and have these problems. There's lots going on over there! :)

-Julie Anne (gurglez)
Brewers yeast allergic reaction... but also the sensors for your stomach valve to pop aren't working properly.  I can sometimes drink water and build gas so fast... in minutes my gut swells from the rib cage down... do burp... finally a air vomit and I loose my voice.... my face has busted blood vessels..... *****.... for you keep away from brewers yeast... try bottled beer... and laying down sometimes tend to cause the lower stomach valve to process gas.
jim
This may not be related at all , but i have noticed my 6 year old burbs now and never did before only after being on a gluten free diet suspected of Celiac issues . Not to sure if this is something anyone wants to check out . But it is just something i have observed .
I have the same exact problem and I think I figured out the cause. I think it's because I trained myself not to make sound when I burp or to just hold it in because of all of the years sitting in school where you would be looked down upon if you burped in the middle of class. I'm seriously interested if I am correct with my theory of the cause. If anybody else believes that the reason they have trouble burping is because of my theory then email me at ***@****
________________________________________________________

******** CLOSED DISCUSSION ********

No more comments, please.