Gastroenterology Community
Can't get it all out

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Can't get it all out

I have posted about this problem before, but I can't seem to get it fixed.  I am a 36 year old male with a stool problem.  I eat healthily, exercise regularly, and lead a pretty normal life.  When I go to the bathroom, I usually wipe a good bit to get as clean as I can.  Sometimes, I wipe and notice that there is still stuff left over, which I know will cause irritation if I don't get rid of it.  I end up going back to the bathroom throughout the day just to wipe and rid myself of the irritation.  It is so frustrating to have to deal with and I would love any suggestions some folks may have.  I have tried adding fiber supplements like Metamucil, but it just ends up making me gassy.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, understand your anxiety. It needs to be seen if your symptoms are due to anal incontinence /laxity. If this is due to anal incontinence /laxity, check to see if with other measures which tend to increase the abdominal pressure like coughing or sneezing tend to cause a bowel discharge. If this is positive then you may need therapy in the form of exercises and if severe may warrant a corrective surgery. If the bowel movement is a trickling of secretions, then it could indicate a collection in the bowel which is discharged on straining. This collection happens with rectal tumors, inflammatory bowel diseases and sometimes in infections and also in irritable bowel disorders. So, don't worry and discuss these options with your doctor, he may do the necessary tests to diagnose the cause for your symptoms. Good luck & Regards.