Gastroenterology Community
Can't have a bowel movement

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Can't have a bowel movement

Hello everybody.
I have a serious problem I'm very worried about.

About 2 weeks ago, I had a very bad stomach ache.
I haven't ever been constipated prior to that, so I didn't know what it was.
I finally found out it was constipation about 3 days after it started, when I realized I couldn't go to the bathroom.
So I told my mom, and she went to get me a laxative.
I had on an off bowel movements every 5 minutes or so, but they were really small and didn't really help me at all. So I just left it alone. It's been at least 10 days since that happened, and I still can not go to the bathroom.

About 20 minutes before I posted this, I heard some more enhanced bowel sounds, and I rushed to the bathroom.
I had some Diarrhea, but that's all. I felt a bit more in there, but it started burning so I didn't push any more out.

I was just wondering what I should do.
Should I buy a Stool softener? I'm really worried about this.
If it makes any difference, I'm 14.
(I don't have a good diet, and I definitely don't get my share of fiber.)
At least you are honest about your diet. I believe that's the issue.  Eating fruits and veggies regularly are a great source of fiber.  10 days without going is definitely not good.  And, there's no subtitute for pure water!

Good luck and God bless  
One thing that works really well is "Baby Lax," it is a small box of tubes of ointment, you get it at the drugstore, and squeeze two in there, waste will come out in minutes.  For the burning you feel there, lotion or plain KY jelly on a damp tissue and put on there will help that.  To prevent this constipation in the future, the three things you have to do are:  Exercise regularly, drink plenty of water, and eat plenty of fiber foods (to include not only fresh vegies and fruit, but also whole grain breads and cereals).  You could also get some Acidophilus milk from the grocery store and put that on your Cheerios, and it'll help restore you intestines to their normal state after all this commotion.  But sometimes even in the most athletic people, they'll eat something that doesn't agree with them, and they'll get stopped up... it's part of the "human condition."