Gastroenterology Community
Causes for an enlarged Spleen and Pancreas

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am a very healthy 35 year old female and I started having severe pain in my upper abdomen last December. The pain started on my left side and would spread to my left shoulder and back. This would come and go in waves some lasting all day to only a few hours. It felt worse when I would eat. I had a CT scan that showed I had an enlarged spleen. I had blood tests done and they were all normal. The pain has since moved to my upper right side and a recent ultrasound showed that my pancreas is now enlarged, but all my blood tests are still normal. I have seen 3 Doctors and they are not sure of the cause, but I am tired of being in pain all the time. I had my gall bladder out 4 years ago and have had no other medical issues since then. I am at a loss as to what to do next, does anyone have any other ideas or know what could be causing this.
Did they do a test for Mono, or check for epstein barr virus?  The reason why I'm asking is because I had an enlarged spleen and pancreas problem when I had mono.  I hope this may help.  Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
Thanks for your reply, I was not tested for mono or epstein barr. I was tested for hepatitus (hepatitis). All blood tests have come back normal and just had an ultrasound that shown "nothing of concern" I was told. My final diagnosis was that I may have had an earlier episode of pancreaitis and that my bile duct could be enlarged due to a stone passing. I was told to eat a low fat diet and I should be fine and to follow up in 6 weeks. I give up, I will not spend another dime for a "guess". Thanks for the info and I will ask my doctor the next time I see her.
I hope you will at least get one more blood work up to see if you have the virus in your blood stream.  As far as I've been told, once you have mono you always test positive for the epstein barr virus.  I was very sick when I had mono, my liver, spleen and pancreas were all affected and it was horrible.  I hope they find out what's going on with you soon and that they can make you feel better soon!!!  Keep me posted..
My daughter has been having abdominal pain for about a year, They just did a mono test, and it was positive, I'm wondering how long you had the pain, she is so tired of it...
I know it's been a long time since you posted, but I just wanted to say that this can be hereditary. My mother's side has passed all of this down. If you have an enlarged spleen, it needs to come out...that is life threatning to keep it in once it enlarges. My brother is in the hospital right now and is schedualed to get his out any day now. He's having pancreatic problems and his spleen is twice it's normal size, so it has to come out right away. He'll probably have his gallbladder and spleen out just like I had to. Make sure to take antibiotics before this surgery and any other surgery including the mouth. Take antibiotics no matter what with the dentist, otherwise you could get a nasty infection.
Btw, the spleen disorder is called spherocytosis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherocytosis
http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/hereditary-spherocytosis