Gastroenterology Community
Causes of Colon Ulcers in Terminal Ileum

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi, everyone,

I'm new to the community, but I have been having gastrointestinal issues for quite awhile, and I was wondering if some of you may be able to help me find some answers.  I have had "stomach issues" for my entire life (born with severe acid reflux and an undeveloped esophagus, persistant stomachaches and sensitivity as a child, etc), but they started to get progressively worse about 2 years ago becoming very disruptive to my life.  This past fall, I had a rather gruesome stomach-related episode resulting in severe abdominal bloating, pain around the umbilicus/belly button, constipation/impacted stool (which later corrected itself with diarrhea), nausea/minor vomiting, and generalized fatigue and weakness.  I went to a gastroenterologist who conducted a colonoscopy and discovered 2 ulcers in the terminal ileum portion of my colon.  Instead of following-up with me afterwards, the doctor sent me a letter stating that the biopsy of the ulcers showed no signs of Ulcerative Colitis or any other cause for my periods of alternating constipation and diarrhea (this episode was not the first).  When I called the office, they told me that no f/u was needed.

I am still having problems with the bloating and abdominal pain although it has lessened, and I have an appointment with another gastro for the end of June.  However, do any of you have any idea what else could cause ulcers in my colon?  I have read that Crohn's is commonly associated with ulcers in the terminal ileum, but wouldn't that have come up in the biopsy?  Why would the doctor just blow it off like that?

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!!!
have you been checked for Celiac Disease?
Dovey, you need to find a doc and review the results. Ulcerative colitis typically wouldn't show up in the terminal ileum. However, problems associated with Crohn's disease could, as could issues with celiac disease. This shouldn't be over-looked. I have no idea why a doc would dismiss the issue so easily, but don't let that happen. Be proactive. Get all of your written test results and find a good GI person to follow-up with.
Thanks for the responses.  I was tested for Celiac Disease in the fall as well, and the tests came back negative.  I am definitely following-up now; it was my fault completely that I waited so long.  I am glad that I now have a thorough primary care and that I will be seeing a new gastroenterologist at the end of June.  I shouldn't obsess, but I'm big on research, and I can't find anything that could cause this except Crohn's, and I just don't see how that would have been missed in the biopsy.  It drives me crazy when things aren't explained logically.  LOL  The only other thing I can think of is bacterial infection that went untreated.  Either way, I will follow-up with the docs, and let you guys know if I discover anything interesting.  Once again, if anyone knows something that I'm missing, please share.  Thanks!!
speaking of bacterial infections, Kefir grains (such as Kefir Cultured Smoothie drinks, Kefir grains in milk, etc) are awesome for killing the bad bacteria in the intestines. You have good bacteria as well which is needed, but a solid bacteria infection can cause these symptoms as well.
Try buying one of the kefir smoothies and drinking that at night before you go to sleep. Your body will begin to dump it's toxins after a few days and you may experience yucky side effects for a day or two but once it's cleared up, the irritations should resolve. This is providing this is bacterial.
Do some research on kefir and bacteria then talk to your gastro doc about them.
Thank you for the tip, Sabrina!  I will mention that to my doc!
Just wondering if you found an answer.  The exact same thing happened to me last year.  I now have a chronic burning sensation in my lower abdomen that is quite concerning.  
I recently had the same exact thing happen to me and got a colonoscopy wich showed ulcers in my small intestines.  My doc byopsied them and is testing them for Chrons but doesn't think that is what it is.  He asked me if I take Ibuprophen or Asprin or Motrin.  He seems to think that is what mine are from.  Maybe that could be your answer.  
So bummed that there was no answer to this! Same exact thing happened to me and my biopsy results were negative for both Crohn's and ulcerative colitis at which point my GI kinda blew me off. So no one found out what was wrong with them???
Is terminal linear a sign of some sort of colon disease.  I have had severe stomach pain so bad it was like labor pains and dx with colinitis at the hospital before the colonoscopy.  the colon dr. seems to think all is okay.  Comments please and what steps should i take forward