Gastroenterology Community
Causes of liver lesions

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Causes of liver lesions

What causes lesions on the liver?  A CT scan recently revealed a small lesion on my liver.  The nurse told me that the gastroenterologist wants me to get another CT scan in four months and go from there.  My colonoscopy and endoscopy were clear.  My blood work was good, too.  I had colon cancer 12 1/2 years ago, so I'm concerned.  At that time, the doctor's told me that the cancer cells were a very aggressive type.  I'm very tired all of the time, even after 8 to 10 hours of sleep.  I'm very bloated after eating.  I've had a lot of stress in my life this past year and was also experiencing a small amount of rectal bleeding for about three months.  Haven't had any bleeding for the past month or so.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I'm not finding much help on the web.
Cancer normally spreads within 5 years of diagnosis, so I feel you're okay there.  Your colonoscopy was clear so no problems there.  So, the bleeding may be coming from hemorrhoids, especially if it is bright red, and comes and goes.  There are many different kinds of liver lesion and causes.  I would call you GI and ask that this be further exlained to you.  Ask him "what type of lesion", "why are they waiting,"  and "why they are not performing a biopsy."  This all should have been explained to you, not merely to have another scan in four months.  Ask why they are taking a "wait and see" attitude.  These doctors work for you, never be afraid of taking up their time in order to better understand what is going on.  YOU deserve to know exactly what they are thinking, planning, and why.  Take care.....