Gastroenterology Community
Causes of tortuous colon??

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Causes of tortuous colon??

In addition to my stomach issues in another question, I now have also been told I've got a long and tortuous colon which seems to have only developed in the last year to 18 months or so.   The reason I think that is firstly that I had colonoscopies done in my 20s and it wasn't ever mentioned then, plus until about that time frame I always had a completely flat stomach first thing in the morning and quite often through the day too, whereas now I'm perpetually looking 3-4 months pregnant.  My bowel habits changed very obviously last year when I developed weeks of continual explosive diarrhoea for no apparent reason and seemingly not diet related, and initial investigations (B/E and CT scan) have thrown up this particular issue but no really obvious cause for the problems otherwise, and so now I'm waiting to have a colonoscopy in Nov.  I thought I just had IBS or something, but I'm never constipated (despite the TC), and just now have a single urgent BM daily (usually in response to eating), and my GI doc has never even hinted at IBS for whatever reason.  

However, I'm really just wondering if anyone here has been told what the most likely cause of this abnormality is, and whether it can be something that develops later in life for no obvious reason or is it something you would be born with etc?   Just curious.  
This is late getting back to you. My husband developed a tortuous colon after being put on diabetes medication (we assume) and we are trying to find out if one of these medications is the cause. He never had the problem before. Could some medication have caused your problem?
Usually a redundant colon is caused by long-term constipation.  The colon stretches to accommodate the stool.  The colon also "stretches" and loses tone as we age, which is one reason why older people have more trouble with constipation than younger people.  This condition is not uncommon, and usually doesn't cause trouble unless it's severe.  In that case, you would notice ever worsening constipation and cramping because the stool has farther to travel and even more water gets pulled from it.  A tortuous, or redundant, colon doesn't explain the reason for the diarrhea.
Hi guys
Thanks for the replies.  Surprisingly I've rarely suffered constipation - more usually diarrhoea but did have some of the former for a short time when I went on to heavier doses of narcotics meds in 2006 so maybe it didn't take very long to provoke it in my case.   What I find now, is that I tend to only have a BM every 3-4 days but of normal consistency - it just seems to wait until the lower colon is absolutely full before providing any signal for relief of it.  Strange.

Haven't got diabetes or any meds that could cause the problem to my knowledge, but you never can tell I suppose.  

Appreciate your input as it does sort of confirm that it's more likely to have been poor bowel habits in my case which have been the cause possibly.  Thanks.
I was diagnosed with a tortuous colon during a colonoscopy. I had Barium Enemas and Sigmoidascopes in the past due to my severe abd pain and constipation since I was 15. I was a little perturped that my Gastro didn't even tell me I had this issue. I had to read about it on my colonoscopy report. I was told I had IBS and a spastic colon, but I think those are just generic issues.

I don't think your diarrhea stems from the tortuous colon. Have you been tested for either Chrons or Celiac Disease? I could only wish I had diarrhea. I have to take prescription laxative in order to poop.
i too have the same excat issue you are talking about. i am looking for information on this condition. everything i have read says a tortuous colon come with constipation. i feel this issue needs to be re-looked at because i have diarreha instead of constipation.
Hello, I am a 56 yr. old female who was born with a right leg length descrepancy of 1and 1/8 inch difference which was overlooked by parents and medical doctors. At the age of 4, a screw richocheted in my right heel. My father removed it himself with a hammer. My father often played "doctor" because it was too costly to get medical help. I am paying the consequences of his "ignorance." My right foot and ankle up to my knee is dislocated. In addition to the leg descrepancy, my right leg drags, I limp when I walk and become easily tired standing for 10 to 15 minutes on my feet. an MRI performed in august 2010  revealed degenerative disc disease in my neck and bulging discs in my lower lumbar area. My recent colonoscopy revealed a significant tortuous colon with moderate internal hemorrhoids and small anal polyp.
I believe my tortuous colon is a result of my birth defect with leg descrepancy. I was told the the leg descrepancy is because my right hip bone is higher up and attached to an extra skeletal spinal disc in my lumbar.
I was once told by a specialist that my uterus is tilted along with all my organs.
To me this is the explanation to my internal health issues. Although I suffer on daily basis with this condition, my body adjusts and there isn't anything one can do to correct this lifelong defect.

Brooklyn NY Rosie 724
I think you are on to something  
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers