Gastroenterology Community
Celiac Sprue

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Celiac Sprue

Does anyone know for sure if Celiac Sprue can be a cause of elevated liver function tests?  From what I have read it can, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks!
Hey -- Found this information:

"Celiac.com 04/27/2006 - Liver abnormalities have been found in a high percentage of celiacs when first diagnosed, around 42% according to some studies. Gluten toxicity and increased intestinal permeability have both been suspected as a cause of liver abnormalities. Serious liver disorders, including cirrhosis, have been found in association with a number of celiac disease cases which appear to resolve upon treatment and maintaining a gluten-free diet. It is not clear whether some damage to the liver may remain long term even after maintaining a gluten-free diet."

source: http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=1323

Interesting story here too:  http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/500797_3

Having celiac sprue can leads to all sorts of issues with your body, I have it - and my biggest problem was severe anemia - other's i have spoken with have mentioned elevated liver enzymes, etc among their gastro issues.  I've heard from others with the gluten free diet, the liver enzymes got back to normal.

I cannot tell you "for sure" as you asked, but there is some research to back it up. Have you been tested? Do you have celiac sprue?
I have been going to a GI doctor for a year for elevated liver enzymes and so far all the normal diagnostic testing(Ultrasound, Hepatitis Panel, and all the other normal blood studies) and returned normal.  I haven't been tested for Celiac yet, but the liver enzymes and IBS seem to have come about after I tried to start eating a more "healty" diet, which included eating a lot of wheat bread and the like.  So I am wondering if I should ask the GI doctor about it?
I would definitely ask If I were you, a simple blood test is the first step, then your GI doc may recommend an Upper GI or Endoscopy to check out your intestines - I had both, both were positive. The other thing you can do, is just stop eating all gluten and see how you feel.

In my case, If I was going to commit to the diet, I wanted to know for sure, so I got the Endo -- and my insurance covered it. Now I know! Eating a gluten free diet can really help improve many things!

Good luck -- keep me posted!
Do you know the name of the blood studies for Celiac? Is it AMA? Or does it have its own name like Celiac Profile or something?
I found this info online:

"A number of tests, sometimes collectively referred to as the Celiac Blood Panel, will aid the physician in diagnosis. The tests may include, but are not limited to:

Serologic Tests
     EMA (Immunoglobulin A anti-endomysium antibodies)
     AGA (IgA anti-gliadin antibodies)
     AGG (IgG anti-gliadin antibodies)
     tTGA (IgA anti-tissue transglutaminase)

Tolerance or Measure of Digestion/Absorption Tests
     Lactose tolerance test.
     D-Xylose test."

I just told my Doctor that I wanted the blood tests to find out if i had Celiac Sprue - and they did it.... My doctor happens to have about 15 other patients with celiac though, and knew what to do - make sure yours does, or ask for specifics!

Yeah I might ask him the next time I go in.  I have stoped eating wheat foods for just a couple of days and it seems like the IBS symptoms have almost completely gone away.  Although that might just be because of lower amounts of fiber.  I am going to ask to get the test done next time I go in, in November.  Maybe after a month on a glutin free diet my liver enzymes will go back to normal if that is the cause of their elevation.
It is extremely important for you to CONTINUE eating wheat/gluten for the tests to come out the right way -- if you don't eat gluten, then it won't be in your system and obviously the tests will come out negative! Thats why I would recommend just doing the blood test asap -- you don't even need to see you doc, just call & have them set it up & go give the few viles of blood!!!

ALSO, remember it's not just wheat -- celiac is an intolerance to GLUTEN. Gluten is in wheat/barely/rye/oats... So obviously no pasta, bread and no beer, no malt, soy sauce or anything that includes Modified Food Starch!!! Unfortunately, modified food starch is in Everything!... Some things can be wheat free, but not gluten free - which is the key!

Good luck! I hope you figure everything out -- it's great to hear your IBS-type symptoms are getting better!
I have ask the nurse to ask my GI doctor if it is worth the time for me to get the test.  It is just weird that I have had elevated ALT/AST for over a year now and the only real symptom I have had is IBS type symptoms.  Sense my bilirubin has never been elevated in this amount of time I can't imagine that there could be anything that horrible going on, especially sense I have plenty of engery.. for a college student.  I go jogging and lift weights 5-6 times a week.  From what I have read on like the Liver Foundation Website and other sites it seems like malise is a typical symptom and so is jaundice, so I am perplexed.  Thanks for all your help and information!
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers