Gastroenterology Community
Changes when Hiccuping

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Changes when Hiccuping

My girlfriend starts hiccuping randomly and it is like she is immediately drunk.  Her mother likes to say "did you just get stuck with a shot of morphine?"  To me it is absolutely bizarre - going from normal to "sloshed" acting merely based on hiccups.  Have you ever heard of hiccuping altering the way someone acts?  She says she feels uncomfortable when she hiccups.  She is 23 years old, I am 26.
I've never heard of this, and feel it warrants looking into.  She needs to see a Neurologist, between her feeling uncomfortable and the starnge behavior it says something more is going on.  Her mother shouldn't be taking this so lightly.  It's wonderful that you care enough to look further for her and realize that something isn't right.   Good luck to you both, and take care!