Gastroenterology Community
Chest Pain, Armpit pain and Gas

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Chest Pain, Armpit pain and Gas

Hi i'm a 20 year old male and over the past 7 or 8 weeks i have been suffering from pains around the left brest area, left armpit on the inside around the hollow part and occasionally down my left arm. Ive been to A&E twice and have had heart tests, chest x-rays and pulse tests and the doctors said everything was fine with my heart and was sent home with some painkillers. At first a decided to leave it at that and try the painkillers but as the pain didn't seen to be going away i went to see my local GP for another opinion and he advised me to have some blood tests done to see if it was my heart causing the pain or just something i didn't quite understand but it had something to with acid reflux and gas. I went back a week later and the blood tests came back showing no problem with the heart but i could possibly have underactive thyroids, wheather that is a separate issue i don't know, anyway ive been prescribed these tablets for the gastro problem and they seemed to be working but over the last few days ive been having pain once more in the breast, armpit and occasionally on the inside of the arm, but this time i seem to be having a lot of gas, and i'm sorry to say but out of both ends, and everytime the gas passes the pain stops for a little bit. I'm just confused and really woried about having a heart attack i'm having sleepless nights worrying about it. Can somebody help me????
I have recently had a similar problem.  I felt a huge pain in my underarm/breast area. Bending over to touch my toes would aggravate the problem.  And, per your expressed relief upon passing gas... my pain would subside with passing of gas and after going number 2, it was gone.  I do not believe this is due to constipation, as I am generally not constipated (and I wasn't then, either).  Anyhow, I am having this problem but a week later, and again with the burping.  It is under my right arm/breast this time, not my left as it was last time.  I have not been to see my doctor yet, as I wish to see if it is something that I can manage naturally, without meds.

I have had the same problem over last 10-12 months. I've had acidity problem for last 3 yrs now. I have noticed that the pain the arm pits happens only when I have more than usual trouble with acidity/gas. First it used to be my left armpit and these days it's the right one. Last time the pain stayed for more than 3 days but never got so bad that I needed pain killers. Plus I am wary of those things :( And with all the acidity I hate to take strong meds for anything these days. Anxiety/stress makes the acidity problem worse. In my case, cakes - even very basic ones - for example worsen my problem. I have a never ending list of things I need to avoid. Being tired also makes things worse. But I would say if your test results are all negative, then you don't need to worry about a heart condition. But maybe you should monitor your response to different food items and see what makes your acidity problem worse - or see if there is a pattern to the pain the armpits etc.

I have something similar, it moves around different locations under the armpit, pain down my left arm, sometimes in my left side of chest. I've been to the Emergency a few times and everything is fine, blood is fine they couldn't find anything. I found that it gets worse after eating certain types of foods, as well your stomach can create more acid if your stressing and have allot of anxiety which is a bad combo - you can read this article for the link between stress and acid - http://www.healthline.com/health/gerd/stress

I found this program seemed to help me out too - http://tocoupons.net/gasrelief

Good luck!
Hello. I am glad to report that I have not had these symptoms in a long while (I can't remember when). What is different? Not less stress, unfortunately, so while stress may be a factor, it's not in and of itself the only issue. The big thing, I think, is diet (as another poster remarked). I have cut down coffee intake to 1-2 mugs a day. I drink plenty of water. I eat very little in the way of bread products and have boosted my vegetable intake by drinking smoothies. Of course, I don't know if this is why I no longer have symptoms, but it's worth a try! I was recently at my doctors for a milestone check-up, and he reports that I am in very good health.