Gastroenterology Community
Chronic Cough for 4 years now - desperately looking for help please -

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

DESPERATELY in need of HELP! PLEASE - I have a chronic cough (4 years now)I had CT Scans of sinus, throat, had Bravo Ph done twice, numerous Allergy tests, Asthma tests, chest X-ray, antibiotics, different Acid Reflux medications for months at a time.  No one can figure out why I cough. All test negative.  
**I cough only when upright!  After every meal and out of the blues.  I have coughing fits for about an hour, cough starts off dry then there is movement & sometimes cough little stuff (white).  I sleep quite well, no coughing, no disturbance.  Numerous ENT, Gas, lung doctors though 4 years with no help.  Allerx & Ah Chew helps calm it down but not cure or take away completely.  No other medication helps. NONE.  HELP SOMEBODY.  No doctors here has helped, St Johns, UCLA, Cedars. Cough meds do not help, I need a cure to live a normal life.  THANK YOU!!!
Oh Dear, it seems from what you write you have been through the mill.  The meds you have taken the docs you have seen have not seemed to help you.  My only suggestion is vitamin C and loads of it.  They say 1000mg per day, but if I were you I would take 2000mg, and a bit more.  Make a concoction of vitamin C fizzies and crushed vitamin C tabs once a day, preferably in the morning.  You should start feeling relief within a few weeks.  This worked for me, when I suffered many bouts of brochitis and pneumonia a good couple of years ago.

Good Luck.
Yes, too often we take vitamin C when we have the common cold/flu and usually this is taken with all the flu meds under the sun, when we're better, we stop.  Forgetting the HUGE benefits that this simple vitamin has on our body and soul.  
Hi Idab, Thank you, funny thing is I use to take high dosage of Vita C (crystals) with my orange juice every morning because I would get sick every year and end up with bronchitis.  When I developed a cough and never went away, I stopped.  And here I am today 4 years later, pleading for advice.  I will start my Vita C again and see what happens.  I will do it all over again and wait and see.   I wanted to add I did see an acupuncture and an herbalist.  The herbs helped but didn't take it away.  I saw another alternative doctor and she gave me 12+ different herbal pills and that helped but my Allerx works better.  Any more advice.  If you're a doctor out there I can send some medical records - I am DESPERATE.  This cough is major, lasting at least an hour at a time.   Thanks again.
The docs don't post on this forum, and I wouldn't waste your money paying to ask a question on the doc's forums after all the testing you have already had done.  Nobody can diagnose you on an internet forum - even with all your medical records.

Since you've already had such thorough examinations, you might gather all your records together and try something like the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, or any other fairly nearby major educational medical facility.  Sometimes it just takes one doc sitting down with everything you've already done and connecting the dots.  Good luck!
Hi there,

during much research for my own issues, I have read in a few places that indigestion and GERD can make one cough--which I really wonder about since it seems to happen with you eat.

It's unfortunate I now have an HMO that takes forever to schedule an apt.  And it unfortunate that I can give a HMO doctor information about what a Mayo Clinic doctor told me to try to sit on information.  I also faxed some info on cough to my doctor and haven