Gastroenterology Community
Chronic Digestive issues

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Chronic Digestive issues

I like many of you have suffered from on-going stomach/digestive issues for 1 1/2 years. The onset was after several stressful events in my life. My symtoms (symptoms) have changed monthly it seems but the consistent ones have been constipation, cramping, pain,very active stomach with gurgling and constant uncontrollable muscle spasms and twitching. I have been to a gastro specialist for a year and had xrays, mri's, cat scans, lots of blood work, seen a neurologist for the spasms and twitching. I've tried accupuncture and now massage therapy.I've taken way too many medications and tried a number of supplements but nothing has helped. My Gastro Doctor believes it is IBS due to stress so I have worked on that part (accupuncture, massage therapy, grief therapy)  I work out every day and practice Yoga daily and have tried changing my diet a number of times. I lead a very active life but having chronic stomach pain and discomfort is truely driving me insane as I am uncomfortable every single day.I am beginning to feel depressed and hopeless with this situation as many of you have also mentioned. Symptoms are best in the morning and increase as the day goes on. The spasms and cramping typically keep me up at night. I am not willing to accept this as IBS and just live with it........ Does anyone out there have suggestions??????
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Assuming that most causes of the symptoms such as infections, inflammations, malabsorption syndromes, hormonal/ endocrine abnormalities, micronutrient deficiencies, medication side effect, dietary causes, growths/ masses, neuro-muscular causes etc. have been ruled out; this is likely to be IBS. IBS is normally difficult to treat and often requires a combination of therapies such as dietary modification, lifestyle changes, medications for symptomatic management etc. Stress plays an important factor in the precipitation of symptoms and would also need to be avoided. It might be a good idea to maintain a diet log and check if the symptoms are related to certain food items. Regular exercise may also be helpful. If these changes do not seem to help, I would suggest considering a review with your treating doctor for medications for symptomatic relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I can fully understand how you are feeling.  Been in the same boat myself for months but I am sick before I even get out of bed and can barely leave my home.  Yes, have had all those tests and some.  Was told I have IBS and bacterial overgrowth, which did not improve after two rounds of antibiotics. Was referred to a specialist and told I have a motility problem.  They want to treat me with BP meds, which I do not want to take.  I am going to try to see a specialist at Stanford for another opinion.
My GI doc here says there isn't any more he can do for me.  Great!
My problems all seemed to start when I had a tooth infection, was put on Cephalexin, I think it was, and all the GI issues started.
I hope you can get some answers.  
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers