Aa
A
A
Close
Chronic Nausea
About 3 months ago I started having diarrhea and was diagnosed with amoebiasis. I took a course of antibiotics (Normet) during which I felt fine. After the last day of my course I went out drinking and eating with my friends. A couple of days later I would wake up in the morning with severe nausea, uneasiness, shakiness and chills. It would last for a few hours and then go away by the second half of the day as though there was nothing wrong at all. My condition worsened each day -- nausea, shaking/chills, retching, etc in the morning for a few hours then nothing at all for the rest of the day.

I finally went to a gastroenterologist who informed me that Normet + alcohol was a very bad idea but put me on another course of antibiotics (Taximo this time) during which I also felt relatively comfortable in the mornings. After my second course of antibiotics was finished I was fine for a couple of days until the same symptoms started again. We did an endoscopy and found nothing significant -- some mild gastritis, no H pylori.

It's been about a month and a half now since the endoscopy and I've had spells when I'm fine in the mornings, but there are days when I'm really bad. I wake up and am too sick to get out of bed. My doctor explained that what I've got is GERD but could not explain one phenomenon: every time I am to be sick, I also have severe chills. The chills are always a precursor to some nasty nausea and retching. Please note, I have only vomited twice since my symptoms began, but there is severe debilitating nausea nonetheless -- which my doctor explained was acid reflux.

Tests done:
Blood, urine, stool: normal
Upper GI endoscopy + biopsy: mild gastritis, no H pylori

Usually when I'm feeling sick, I just lie down with my head propped up and doze off. The sleep sometimes does away with the sickness. I have made necessary changes to my lifestyle to accommodate for a GERD like condition -- no spicy foods, no drinking, no smoking, no oily foods, sleeping after 2-3 hours of eating etc but it doesn't seem to have much effect. I am, as of now, taking an antacid half an hour before dinner as instructed by my doctor to mitigate my conditions in the morning but that also seems to make little difference. I am writing to you in the hopes that you might have a different perspective. There is definitely some correlation between my shaking/chills and nausea, something that he cannot explain. I also think it might have something to do with lack of sleep? I sleep about 7-8 hours a day but I'm relatively okay on days when I sleep longer and wake up without the assistance of an alarm. Please help, been sick for 3 months and this is seriously causing a dent in my life.

P.S. 28 year old male. India.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Hello,  I went threw the exact same thing and symptoms that you have been....after going to doctor to doctor, I decided to put myself on a gluten free diet.  and within 5 days i started to feel better, the nausea started to go away and my pain in my stomach did as well. my chills are not as bad either anymore.  i have been gluten free since april good luck to you and God bless
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources