Gastroenterology Community
Chronic Pancreatitis or Ulcer

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Chronic Pancreatitis or Ulcer

I went to a specialist today and was told I either have a Ulcer or chronic pancreatitis.  He said from looking at the tests done so far he thinks it is the chronic.  I am getting a endoscopy done friday morning.  Seems like forever away and the thing is I have to keep on sucking up the pain.  I am a recovering alchoholic so they wont give me anything strong for pain.  I have tremdol and it does help a little bit but i am still in contant pain
I wish they would at least just stick me in the hopital so I can be on a IV so i wont have to eat and get this pain gone.

I have had two acute pancreas attacks and panctreatitis runs on both sides of the family and I was a heavy drinker.  
My question how do you live like with it what can I do.  I have had this pain really flare up in the last week and my levels are ok but the pain is there.  I have gotten nothing done and I do not want to do anything because of the pain.  I am miserable and I have to admit really sad thinking that I can be like this forever.  
If the condition is pancreatitis, it will probably be suggested that you take dietary supplements to help digest foods you eat. This can be very helpful in many cases after you're able to start eating solid foods again.

If you're experiencing a pancreatic flare at the present time, they will probably put you on fluids to give your pancreas a rest, and then you'll transition to soft foods, etc. There is unfortunately little that can be done for the pain until they figure out what's going on unless your doc will give you a prescription for some form of pain relief.

As miserable as it sounds, try staying with liquified foods and stay away from any fatty substances.