Gastroenterology Community
Chronic loose stool in one year old?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Chronic loose stool in one year old?

My little boy is now 13 months old.  He was breast fed for 11 and a half months and his stool was always very loose....but that didn't concern me or the pediatrician because it is normal for a breast fed baby to have loose stool.  

When I started the weaning process I started to introduce whole milk to him.  As soon as I started the whole milk he almost immediately developed a horrible bleeding diaper rash (he had never had diaper rash at all before this).  His stools didn't change any and his belly didn't seem bothered by the milk he just got a horrible rash.  

The pediatrician said it could be a form of a milk allergy and to put him on soy milk.  He has been on soy milk for  a month now and the rash is gone but his stools are still horribly loose.  In order to keep the stools from being completely liquid we have to feed him the BRATTY diet, and this only gets the stool to a "sludge" consistency not even anything remotely formed.  He probably has 4 or 5 dirty diapers a day.  I also give him a daily dose of probiotics.

I just feel like he can't live on the BRATTY diet, he is not going to get the variety of foods that a growing baby needs.  His appetite is good and he is on the smaller side but growing well.  The pediatrician just says keep doing what I am doing.  We have an appointment with a pediatric gastroenterologist next month.  Does anybody have any suggestions to help with the loose stool?

BRATTY diet is no longer recommended for the reason you've mentioned - the boy might not get all required nutrients.

Obviously, he was allergic to milk.
Soy allergy is also common.
So can you try something without milk and soy?
thanks for responding, but what other option is there besides milk and soy?

If I don't keep him the the bratty diet his stools are totally liquid, that is the only thing that keeps him just loose instead of liquid.
Well, I'm sure there are foods for babies without milk and soy. Also, BRATTY is only an example of "OK foods" in diarrhea. There are many products from corn and other cereals.

The boy would need testing for common allergies.
Beside allergies this is possible:
- lactose intolerance - rare in babies but possible. Not only dairy products but anything containing lactose would affect him. Lactose is even in some medications, vitamins...
- fructose malabsorption: any fruit product or anything containing fructose, HFCS or sorbitol would affect him. Maybe even wheat. Fructose or sorbitol are aften in children syrups. Read here:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/21247?personal_page_id=801

If nothing of above helps, he will need to be treated by experienced pediatric dietitian that can find a cause with elimination diet.
You're doing the right thing by taking him to a pediatric GI doctor!  I would try taking him off the probiotics,  this helps with irregularity, and may be adding to his loose stools.  Make sure he stays hydrated with Pedialyte.  Poor little guy shouldn't have to go thru this.  My daughter from birth would not drink any kind of milk, none!  We had to put her on a calcium supplement, she did very well, and has always been very healthy, and is now 38.  But you need to rule out any physical problems with the GI specialist.  Good luck with this.............