Gastroenterology Community
Chronic rotten egg/sulfur burps.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Chronic rotten egg/sulfur burps.

I am a 25 year old female and my only illness asides from these rotten egg/sulfur burps is Asthma -- since an infant. I have suffered with these burps for years of my life, and sometimes I can go years symptom free. When I was a little girl I'd get an isolated episode, projectile vomit until the veins in my face broke, and then was ok for a good year or so. The burps then started up again last October and were chronic and occurred 3-5 times a week. They stopped in Feb, and then began again in April. I have never had them last or be a problem for so long at a time.

These burps ruin my life. Asides from the disgusting taste -- I have to spend 12 hours in bed or else I vomit. I notice around hour 6-8 of the burps I get severe gas pains, bloating, and I cry it is so painful. By hours 10-12 they are gone and don't come back for about another day or two, then reoccur. In the meantime I take 10 mg of OTC pepcid 2X daily to try to prevent them and the heartburn that they come with.

My bowel habits change when the burps are back, and I get extremely constipated. Not to be gross but my bowels are often floating and fowl smelling like the sulfur I burped the day before. Food does not want to digest and I burp up the taste of food eaten over 8-10 hours after a meal. I have lost a large amount of weight as well due to not being able to eat. I had a baby in 2006 a year prior to them starting and I went from 185 after delivery to 145, mainly because of these sulfur burps.

I don't know if this condition is psychosomatic with people around. My husband claims he had a bout of them, as did my mother. I think for them because it was isolated it was in their heads more or less than a real issue. They have to continually see me suffer with the condition.

I quit eating chicken thinking that it was a problem with food. I quit eating wheat. I quit eating raw fruits and vegetables because they are known to be harder to digest. I have tried digestive enzymes, and special yogurts to promote digestion. I about about to try grapefruit seed extract. I am very tired of this condition. I have researched it to no ends on the internet and have found no answer. I am terrified I will starve to death because I can never eat. I have to spend half the week curled in bed with stomach pains while trying to nurse and care for my toddler. It is depressing beyond all means. From reading others around the internet world I know this is a viable problem and is not a simple "stomach virus".

Does anyone have some answers for what this could be, possible medications to treat it, and prognosis?

Thank you!
ive had the same thing since 1998.  have been to doctors many times but never any helpful/accurate diagnosis.  it seems to come and go (sometimes attacks are two days apart, sometimes two years).

the only hopefully helpful advise i can offer is to make yourself vomit as soon as soon as the burps start.

once the attack starts, the burping and subsequent pain just get worse and worse until you eventually expel everything from your stomach.  in my experience, there is no way to avoid this.  however, if you can force yourself to vomit early on, you can largely avoid the 6-8 hours of misery.  making yourself puke is miserable too, but it only gets harder as the pain gets worse.

the key is getting EVERYTHING out your stomach.  when my attacks recur a day or two apart, it seems to result from not throwing everything up the first time.  i find taking a sip or two of water helpful for triggering the last few pukes.

one question for you (and anyone else suffering from this miserable curse): have you ever taken accutane, an acne medication?

theres been a lot of news lately about potential links between accutane and intestinal disorders (eg IBD).  i havent found any overwhelming evidence that this is related, but i did take accutane for a year or two in high school and curious how many other sulfur burpers did too ...

sorry i cant be of more help. will post again if i find out anything new ...

good luck!
Hey Lily,

I'm Mark, and I'm 25 years old too. I definitely don't have the severe problems as you do from reading this, but I can say this, I ate a burger at Burger King back in July 2008, and a few days later woke up with Rotten Egg / Sulfur burps. The rest of the day I was in the bathroom with the worst diarrhea of my life. It was basically like I was peeing from my bum.. Sorry to be so graphic.

But it doesn't end there. About every 14 days or so I will wake up with rotten egg burps, and my stomach gets really upset when I eat meats, or other certain types of foods, and drink anything dairy (especially milk). I never had this before, until after I ate that burger at Burger King.

I've narrowed this down to being a parasite from the burger I ate. Most likely the parasite known as Giardia. Could have been some form of food poisoning too like Salmonella, or E Coli too. But I want these symptoms to go away.

You mentioned trying GSE (Grapefruit seed extract) which might not be a bad idea. There is also this other thing I am trying called "OREGANOL." If you haven't heard of it, go look it up. I just ordered some 2 days ago. I really hope that this Oreganol Super Strength does the trick. If you have any other recommendations for this please let me know. Or if you'd just like to chat more about this, Here is my email :

I will let everyone know how well it works for me. God bless you and yours for New Years!

MARK
This isn't scientific (yet), and may be only an old wives tail, but I will share my experience.  I was a missionary in a 3rd world country for 10 yrs.  Off and on my children and I would get these "sulfur burps" and gassy tummies, but never to the point of severe discomfort or vomiting, just gross.  I had learned from a fellow missionary who grew up in PNG that this is caused by intestinal parasites...worms.  Whenever I or my children would experience these nasty burps, I'd run down to our local doc and request anti-parasite medicine (I don't recommend taking it regularly, it's hard on the liver).  It always took care of the problem.  I know there are natural ways to rid oneself of parasites, black walnut, garlic, "zapping".  I think it's worth looking into!  (Which is why I'm here, researching.)  

HTH,  Jane from Fiji
May I recommend this page... http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4599959_what-causes-sulphur-burps.html

Confirms my old-wives tail as one cause!

Jane from Fiji
thanks jane,

i have used a couple of the anti-parasite medications, and they definitely do work for parasites.  (the one-shot pill you get in third world is much more effective than flagyl and other fda-approved stuff available in states, by the way).

the sulfurous burping is indeed a common symptom of giardia, which i have had at least a couple times.  the anti-parasite stuff has always eliminated the giardia, as well numerous other "worms" that they test for in honduras (presumably similar in other third world countries).

however, my symptoms began before my giardia and have continued to persist after eliminating it. also, the recurrent nature of the attacks -- mine happened every 2 months for the first couple years, although now its more like twice a year -- is apparently unheard-of for giardia (or any other parasite afaik).

h. pylori (not a parasite, but also mentioned in your link) is something i havent researched much, though i did consider it to be a possible cause at one point.  

thanks again,
emory
giardia sounds like a safe bet for your symptoms.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia_lamblia

also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinidazole
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metronidazole

-emory
Thanks for all your help, I'm trying the Oreganol but it hasn't really gotten rid of this yet. I think that I'll need to do some major to get these symptoms to go away. If you're able to email me please do :

mcnba @ hotmail
I have been free of these awful burps and vomiting for 35 years. Now at 49 years old, they are back every week or 3, and after 8 months I have had enough of these unsociable burps and days in bed being sick. My doctor and Gasterinterologist are testing me for everything, but finding nothing wrong. I am working on the theory that it is a form of Fructose malabsorption. This means consuming more sugar and less Fructose & Diet Coke to keep the sulfur burps and Vomitting down to an acceptable level.
I am most interested how you guys get on though, and have your burps got worse with reduced sugar intake like me? also, does Diet Coke affect it?
hi phil,

its been about 6 months since my last episode (which was a series of 3 attacks over a period of about a week).  

i havent noticed any correlation to sugar intake, however, i cant say ive ever consciously reduced sugar intake.  i did try a lemonade diet--the master cleanse[r]--a couple times, for 10-15 days each time. it didnt seem to affect the problem either way. as for diet coke (or other diet sodas), ive never had more than a sip, so i dont think that could be the culprit in my case.

please do post a follow-up if your tests turn up anything interesting.  ive been to a couple gastroenterologists and had two upper GI's to no avail.  once was actually during a vomiting episode (that barium drink doesnt taste any better on the way out).  im sure i will go again though at some point (which i can only hope wont be for another 35 years), so would be nice to know what has or hasnt been effective for others.

good luck,
emory
I suffered these burps for over a year, i changed my diet stopped eating alot of foods, i felt like any high sugar intake triggered it. I felt like everything I ate sat in my stomach and didnt digest and would build up for days then turn into diarreah (diarrhea) the burps would get so bad and be followed by heartburn. I thought it was IBS and had treatment, i suffered these burps for days on end then theyd go away after severe diarreah (diarrhea) for another few days then a continuous cycle, certain foods like meats and dairy triggering it off, UNTIL the other day I read that worms could be the culprit. I ran to the local chemist and embarassingly bought a threadworm& roundworm  treatment called pripsen which you dissolve in water then take again 14 days later to kill the worms then kill any that have hatched a fortnight later from eggs. Now no burps, no stomach pain, no diarreah (diarrhea) and I feel free to eat what I likee without worrying, and when i do burp it does not smell. I feel like I have more energy. I heard worms feed on sugar and destroy the good bacteria in your gut leadin to some infood tolerances and food not properly being digested, leading to the fermenting of food in the stomach being the reason for the smell of rotting. Also you must change all bedsheets and dust your home and  hoover and wipe with a damp cloth, or steam with a steam cleaner or else reinfection is easy and your problem will be back within weeks. HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE.
This sounds like exactly what I had when I was pregnant with my youngest son...do you have pets.  I had goats at the time and thought I had been meticulous about washing my hands..but I had recurring bouts that would start with burps (rotten egg), then severe stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea.  Then they would go away..I would be exhausted, but fine within 24 hrs.  But weeks later the same thing would happen.  I am dreadfully worried because now my 2.5 year old has had 4 episodes of this in the last 2 months...no diarrhea, but presents with all the other symptoms.  I have a tidy house..but a toodler house..and I don't no how to keep their germy little hands constantly clean.  to prevent reinfectin..if that is what it is.  We have pets, and my 2.5 year old feeds the dogs with his older brother, but no goats anymore.  I am honestly completely exasperated and exhausted.  Dreading putting him to bed and having an episode.  
No Chris, I do not have pets. I do not think it is an infection as the house is real clean and the rest of the family is not getting it. The gastroscopy went down through my stomach real easy and confirmed there was no evidence of peptic ulcers or hiatus hernia. What it did show was that my small intestine was also very clear. Most people have small intestines with constricting internal rings that provide refuges for enzymes and good digesting opportunities. My food has the opportunity to just slde on through too easily into the large intestine. Whenever I feel something is not right, I am reaching for the sugar which is bringing the condition under control thankfully.
Phil
Possibly gallbladder disease.  Had all the symptoms described and had cholecystectomy in 2003.  Would get these burps right before an attack, plus vomiting/diarrhea.    Had ERCP/Sphincterotomy (Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction) in 2007 when the symptoms continued.  Relatively free of all symptoms since.
The symptoms you describe would seem to correlate with a YEAST infection, namely Candida Albicans. You may want to get tested for this.

However, not every physician is aware of this condition nor do they all know how to test for it. There is a very strong drug available by prescription, but it is often with side effects, and if you drop the drug, it can lead to a recurrence of the condition. There is an all natural remedy available which I use personally. If you want more information, please send me an email at acemail2005-***@****.

Note: I am not a physician, but I am practicing user of herbs and supplements for many years and the information I have is informational only until you consult with your physician. Always consult a physician.
Because you seem like an allergic person (asthma), it might be an allergy to sulphur containing foods or preservatives (eg 220 in dried fruit).  To identify these you could start keeping a food journal and noting whether your symptoms are worse when eating sulphur rich foods such as eggs, asparagus, cabbage, broccoli and legumes.
Symptoms of a sulphur allergy include diarrhoea, asthma or respiratory symptoms, headaches and itchy eyes - the constipation might be the flip side of your diarrhoea (as in alternating with).  The strong smell in your stool could be a tell tale sign of sulphur allergy but suggests that your body isn't digesting properly in any case.  It can also indicate parasites or bacterial overgrowth in the lower gut which is called dysbiosis.
Another aspect to your problem might be the fermentation of foods containing insoluble fibre that occurs in your large instestine - it's a process that creates a lot of gas that can cause bloating and lower abdominal pain but also burping and smelling stools. (My husband has this when he overdoes his fibre intake and doesn't drink enough water.)
Foods that contain non digestible fibre include legumes (eg lentils), cellulose (outer part of fruit and vegetables) and the starch or fructan content in grains, fruit and vegetables.  Fructans (fructo-oligosaccharides) are a stored form of fructose that are not digested in the small intestine and are found commonly in garlic, onions, artichoke, corn, potato, oats, apples, banana and rice.  Similarly, starchy foods contain a certain amount of resistant starch (especially oats, bananas and cooked cold potato) that like fructan, is not digested but passes to the large intestine.  Once there, bacteria ferment the non digested fibre and use the bi-products to make foods that feed them.  The waste products that ensue are hydrogen, carbon dioxide and methane; sometimes the hydrogen is converted to sulphur which is what makes flatus or burps smelly and produces bloating and belching. In the case of sulphur containing foods, too much gas passes to the lower bowel which also contributes to these symptoms.
Until you get this sorted maybe you should cut back on your fibre intake (insoluble) and foods rich in sulphur, and pre-soak all of your nuts, grains and seeds to remove any excess sulphur or other chemicals (eg enzyme inhibiting chemicals) that could worsen your problem.  I've heard lightly cooking foods rich in sulphur helps to eliminate this gas too.
It might be worth seeing a naturopath or integrative medical practitioner about an elimination diet in which you would remove the suspected foods for 2 weeks then re-introduce them one at a time (3 serves 3 days in a row).  If the bloating, belching or diarrhoea persists this usually suggests that you are senstive to these foods. I hear vega or live blood testing can also be quite accurate in diagnosing food intolerances or allergies, not to mention bacterial/parasitic overgrowth in the intestines that as mentioned, might be another reason for your poor digestion and weight loss. Slippery Elm can be fantastic for acid reflux; it creates a protective coating down your gullet.  Calcium is also a natural antacid as is a herb called Meadowsweet that you can drink as a herbal tea.  
hi. i am 18 years old and i get those nasty smelling burps that smell like rotten eggs. the first time i got them i was about 15 or 16 years old. and i get them at least under ten times a year. they last all day and sometimes wake me up in the middle of the night. im so emmbarest to burp in front of any one cuz it smells so awful. and as i started getting them more offten it came along with some new symptoms. like sometimes i would be constipated or i would have dyarrha. never vomited yet and happy about that. the taste makes me want to tho. i know there is something wrong and i would really like an answer. i tried the dr.s and they say go in when i have the smelly burps. but my ergent care is just to far for me. i need answers.
I think I may just have an answer to all or at least most of your guys' queries. GALLSTONES! I had to have my gallbladder removed in February of 2004 after a miserable 6 months of living what was later coined to be gallstones. It all started on July 4th 2003 after I ate some grilled hamburgers. Later that evening, I became extremely bloated, than I presented with rotten egg burps, severe stomach pain(pain can also be felt in the back or even shoulders, but it is usually felt most in your upper abdomen under your ribs on the right side where your liver is located because your gallbladder is attatched to your liver.) and that led to pea soup green colored projectile vomiting which I usually had to induce myself, as well as green colored stools, and when I would get an attack it always included hot and cold sweats, chills and sometimes a fever. I was confined to bed because I was in such excrutiating pain, and the only thing that would give me some relief was throwing up .It always happened to me after eating fatty meats especially beef and pork. But you have to make sure you get it all out or you will still have symptoms. That happens because the gallbladder produces (green) bile that helps digest fat in the stomach. If there is a stone blocking the duct, that food sits in your stomach undigested. I remember a really bad episode after a just a few bites of Thanksgiving dinner. I thougt I was going to have to call an ambulance, it was that bad. Ask your doctor to give you an ultrasound. And since it's bothering you that much you should definitely have surgery to remove it, because you will never recover from it on your own, the symptoms may get more bareable from time to time but they will come back with a vengence someday. I hope that I have given you all some helpfull advice. And I truly do hope that all of you get well and do so soon. Good luck to you all, and if you need some advice, please feel free to contact me @ ***@**** Thanks!
I also have this condition.  It is Gastroparesis
This could definitely be Gastroparesis.  It causes you to feel full before you should, your food sits for long periods of time in your stomach and "ferments" it then proceeds to eject either via vomiting or diahrea with extreme abdomen pain.  There are many sypmton' I haven't mentioned and I would rather give birth than suffer these bouts of pain.

See your GP and request a gastric emptying study to be done.   Its a simple test and will rule out this very dangerous disease.

My weight went down to 31 kgs before a gastro doctor finally picked it up.

Good Luck.

Debbie
yes, gastroparesis does seem like a likely bet.

more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroparesis

thanks for the diagnosis and the advice on doing a gastric emptying study!
My 6 year old daughter had some of these symptoms.  It started with stomach pain, then it evolved into intense stomach pain, sulfur burps, sulfur gas, thick, creamy, foul smelling vomit. She had these symptoms on and off for about 3 months.  About every month she would break out in hives each time it was worse.  After two trips to the ER, blood test for allergies, stool samples, h-pylori testing, and numerous trips to her physician, no answers.  Then finally she was referred to an allergist.  First day seeing the allergist we had answers.  They preformed scratch tests.  Found out she was allergic to 7 different foods.  She has had none of the symptoms for about 6 months after cutting out all the foods.  But it took a good 2 weeks after cutting out the foods before the stomach pain went away.  Now if she accidentally eats something on the list it takes about two days after eating it and she has stomach cramps, I give her allergy med. lasts short time then she is feeling better.  So relieved to find answers, I know how helpless I felt,  not being able to help my daughter through those 3 months, and I feel for everyone who suffers with this.  Hope this helps.
this is really gross. i want to throw up but i hate throwing up.and here is a tip try to drink alot and maybe hold in some of your burps it might help
I am having a bout of this 2nd time in two weeks. I think it is triggered by meat and sugar. I took some good bacteria last week and boy did my stomach go into over load with pain. I have suffered with diarrhea for a long time and since taking the flora I haven't really had a good bowel movement. My stomach started hurting yesterday and today...sulfer burps. I am now going to do an oxy-powder colon cleanse, clean the heck out of my house, change the sheets and hope for the best. Will let you know how that works for me...had a bout with this a year ago, thought it was a sour stomach but I am convinced my protruding belly and severe bloating is much more than that.
I suffered from the same problem, to the point where I had pain in my stomach. The best solution is more fiber, for example eating a banana provides enough fiber to promote healthy bowel movement. Honey has been known to act as a natural lubricant for the large intestine/colon. About 2 tablespoons of natural honey 3 times a day combined with plenty of water all day should get rid of your constipation, clearing out your toxic stools and soothing your sulphur burps for good!

You don't have to be a tri-athlete to live a healthy life, just keep your body moving and eat the right things and drink lots of water.  If your body sits around all the time (not moving), then your body systems will not function properly, hence your condition. Try what I said and you'll see it works. It worked for me and now I run everyday and no problems so far!

Good luck!
do any of you have fever blisters or cancor sores?
I find if i get a fever blister or cancor sore my sulphur burps flare up.
anyone else find this link?
Wow Waylon,

Yes that's exactly what happens for me too. I posted on this same topic a whole year ago, but did not mention that. This just happened to me a few days ago. I had a canker sore on my tongue and inside of my lip. Then I just had the sulphur burps lastnight into this morning again. I feel like I also am starting to develop acid reflux. I went from 175 lbs. in October 2009, to now only 147 lbs. here in January 2010. I'm losing weight even though I'm eating. It's really starting to scare me. I don't know what to make of this.
I had tons of problems with this.  It cost me two jobs before we were able to figure it out.  I suffered from a type of porphyria.  A material is released into the blood stream when we're exposed to sunlight, and I lack an enzyme required to break the material down and flush it from the system.  As it builds up a plethora of symptoms arise including the belching.  For me it came with diarrhea of varying severities that would last for weeks.  Pork, in particular, exacerbated this.  Even kosher hotdogs cost me my freedom!  

There are simple blood and urine tests though there seem to be presentations of this disorder which doctors have yet to study with this family of disorders.  My tests suggested a very low level of this material in my body and should thusly mean minor symptoms... but a winters afternoon in the shade would net me weeks of toilet time.
Oh.. but the biggest symptom you'll notice with Porphyria are brownish colored spots, on the hands usually.  For most cases of this the spots are all over and are quite obvious.  For me they were tiny brown spots that eventually turned into small sacks filled with what looked like water, maybe 1-2mm in diam.  that, after they burst, would cause the surrounding skin to dry dramatically and crack to the point of bleeding.  These always occured on the portions of the hands that had received the more direct sun.  Driving caused this to be the inside of my thumb and index finger.  

One doctor suggested this condition is possibly common among (first-generation) descendants born to agent orange exposed Vietnam veterans.
i too have been dealing with this ailment, thinking i'm just too delicate and just can't deal with it like the rest of the world. Unitl i realized this isen't a common thing. I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowl Syndrome (IBS) but have been having the sulfur burps for years1 I elimanated many different foods thinking i had an intolerence to something. My episodes don't follow a clear pattern at all, Months a yar, weeks, i can't figure it out. I ruled out a virus, food poisoning, food allergy ect. Looks like when i talk to my doc tomarrow, i will ask about maybe a gallbladder issue or Giardia (sp). I get the sulfur burps, wich i cannot tolerate so i won't burp otherwise i'll throw up and i would rather have the stomach flu than what i taste with this! I get the urge to have to eliminate but am unable. Bad stomach gas and foul when released. Have to stay in bed and this really messes with my life! I notice it has gotten worse and more frequent after i had my baby girl 6 months ago. I cannot tolerate drinking, i had half a beer one night, 2 hours later another half and 2 hours later another half. No big for 25 year old! Right? Wrong. I was so sick the next day. I felt hungover and i couldnt eliminate anything but small amounts of green. Sorry gross i know. My stomach bloats quite often and i feel a constant blockage right in the middle of my rib cage near my gut, it passes as the day wears on, but always returns. I have noticed too, a sudden fatigue like i have never really expirienced except when i was first pregnant. I'm not now bythe way. My doc wrote it off du to the hormones in my IUD that i needed to adjust to, and my IBS. But after the weekend of sick i just had, i'm gonna call her tomarrow and insist we look into this further. I'm currently laying off the lactose anything, it just doesnt sound like a good i dea right now. I have lost any significant weight that i know of as my doc has me on a weight loss pill already. Thats how i differ here. Worms and stuff, now i'm freaked out as i have been watching a scary show on animal planet about people getting parasites. Oh boy....
I too have been having these sulfur burps.  There is a slight burn and a full feeling that comes and goes. I occasionally had this issue as a child.  About 3 months ago, I ate red meat and chocolate in the same night and the next day it happened and lasted about two days (didn't think much about it at the time).  Last night, I had beef and then part of a candy bar and then this morning, wham! I thought back about my last bout and that was the only correlation. My mother was just diagnosed with h. pylori and I'm beginning to wonder if I have it. The bad bacteria could be reacting with the protein and sugar.  My mother didn't have sulfur burps, but she did have foul breath.
I too have this problem. It started after I gave birth to my daughter 8 years ago. At first I had it at least once a week for 6 months, and then it died down a bit to every few months, now I get it maybe twice a year. Like all of you it starts with the disgusting burp, followed by chronic stomach pain, heartburn, vomiting, sometimes the runs, most of the time I also break out in hives. The day after its all over I get severe pain in my back and sides. The worst bout I have had was when my daughter was about 3 and it was coming out both ends for a week. Worse thing was we were travelling and I thought at the time I had gotten food poisoning from eating McDonalds.

I think I am really going to get my doctor to look into gall bladder as I was in hospital a few months ago with severe pains in my right side, at the time scans showed nothing. I have the burp and the vomiting today, which has followed a week of severe pain in my right side. It seems to me if it was food poisoning or giardia that my daughter should be sick too, buts its always just me.
hi guys, i have this problem to, get discomfort, followed by sulphur burps which are gross, then i have to throw up till my stomache empty to feel better.  Well have had loads of tests all clear, except for my gallbladder scan in which i have a large stone and very inflammed gallbladder which is also infected, i am hoping they will remove it as can't cope with this every week. but i would suggest people get there gallbladders checked. x
I've been suffering from sulfur burps since I was 17 years old. I'm now 33 and I get the burps about 3 times a year. Its a knock out punch, I'm down at least 12 hours at a time and I cant eat anything but apples. Apples are the only thing that don't taste so bad when they come back up. And they always come back up. I've been surfing the blogs for a cure for YEARS. I recently talked to my dentist about a tongue scrapper. He informed me that the human tongue can produce sulfur and I may be ingesting it causing the burps. He also recommended using a toothpaste or a mouthwash with chlorine dioxide, the same chemical city use to take the smell out of city water. Its completely safe. You should scrub your tongue at least twice a day, and brush after every meal. I haven't tried this long enough to know that it works for sure. But at least we can take it off the lists of possibilities.
I have been reading all these posts and I can not believe that everyone here as been suffering so terribly as I have.  I have had it every 2 weeks almost to the day for months.  This has been going on off and on for about 4 years now and it is ruining my life.  When I get this I usually wake up early in the morning and I feel nauscious and the feeling is quickly followed by a sulfur burp.  I will be sick as a dog until I throw up everything in my stomach even bile....I have to get testing done for h.pylori...I just hope they find out what it is.  My stomach is so bloated I look like I am 6 months pregnant.  I cant stand this.  Has anyone found out whether or not it is h.pylori?
Hi everyone, I have these sulphur burps, I thought it was my Galbladder and I had it removed last december, 2009. I still had the sulphur burps until April 2, 2010. They disappeared and today they came back, I have no insurance and I don't know what to do, it is disgusting and runs people from the room. I have no diarrhea no vomitting, just the burps. Any ideas??
Take Alka-Selzer w/4 oz of water at first sign of burps then puke if you have to.. I've been getting them for a long time and this is the only thing that stop it in it's tracks, don't eat for the rest of the day only water, and Don't eat after 6 or 7 pm either at any time.
One other thing, I have the same symptoms you all do and I have been looking for an answer for years now, every Dr I've seen has never heard of it much less knows what to do for us. I was tested for giardia, had upper and lower Gi's and they find nothing and think I'm crazy, I just wish they could be in the same room with me when I get it. then they'd know there's something HUGE going on here.. and not just with me but there are thousands out here looking for an answer to this. I've met people all over the world getting this crap.. Come on Medical community take this seriously and find a cure!
digestive enzymes and probiotics help too.. take everyday
ive been suffering from the sulfur burps mysrlf since i was about 13 or 15 im 25 now for a few years i gave up milk products because i thought it caused them then i thought it was stress i had made a drastic change in my life and i would get them no matter what i hate back when i moved to ohio i got them so bad i was expelling black rotten food from both ends and that is when the condition was at its worse the burps arre so bad they make my whole house smell so bad and you can smell them for up to twenty minutes afterwards i havent had the sypmtops in years till the last few days my daughter had gotten some kind of stomache virus and had given to me but when i cam down with it mines was worse but i do notice that when i throw up it makes it better then i try not to eat or drink for as long as i can to keep my stomach empty i think its some type of bacteria that reacts with any kind of food or liquid that it comes in contact with. sorry i couldnt have been anymore help but it is good to know your not alone
I have noticed that corn products including soda laden with high frustose corn syrup causes the "sulfur belly" in me. I am also gluten intolerant so I need to be very careful about what I eat. I stayed away from corn products for two years and never had a problem. Recently my husband made chocolate covered popcorn and ofcourse I could not resist. Now I have had the cramping, bowel problems, and sulfur burps for 3 days. Good luck.
I have been getting these nasty burps for years now. It increased in frequency when I was pregnant and I had serious complications 2.5 days after my daughter was born. I had a liter and a half of fluid in my abdomen and no one could say where it came from. They diagnosed me with peritonitis and sepsis. One doc said my problems came from my pregnancy. The other doc said, since they took out my appendix as they explored, that my appendix was the problem. I know there was a pop, like something exploded on my right side, and fizzing as this fluid came out from somewhere. These doctors around me are clueless as to what happened to me. I was given flagyl and 2 other antibiotics in the hospital. Kind of a catch-all cocktail I think, because they just didnt know what was wrong. I got sick again a few months later. They did all kinds of tests and reluctantly took out my gallbladder because I said 'if its gonna fix this, I can live without it'. I have been sick a few times since then. Once it was 4 days in one week. I honestly think it has something to do with our drinking water. My birth, 20 months ago, was a home water birth. The water test report says they passed everything but the turbidity test, which can indicate that their filtering is not good enough and there can be parasites and bacteria in the water.
Has anyone had any CT scans done? I still have pain on my right side everyday. Sometimes it is sharp and stabby, most of the time dull and achy. I think, since I dont have a gallbladder or appendix, it must be the liver. The CT scans indicate that my liver and my spleen are enlarged. This is, of course, dangerous as either one can rupture. Hmmm... could that be what happened after my daughter was born?! My GI doctor wont even check into it. He says if my liver ruptured, I would have bled out and died and that is just not possible because I am still alive today! Seriously! If I had the money I would go to a major big name hospital/GI doc and beg for some answers! But, it sounds like none of you are getting anywhere either.
It has been awhile though since this forum started, so, any of you out there still check this forum? Got any answers yet?
I forgot to mention. I am not the only one getting sick. My oldest daughter was sick just the other day. My husband was sick like this 2 weeks ago. My boys have been sick in the last few months as well. I am definitely leaning toward the water/parasites theory. I also have heard of many people, friends and friends of friends who have had their gallbladders removed. I have never heard this in the other parts of the country I have lived in. Sounds to me like a local environmental issue. Another thing... I unknowingly bought a home which is over top of an active coal mine. I am looking into this as well.

This was an article I found in my general area.
http://www.register-herald.com/local/x519113114/Is-water-linked-to-illnesses

Any thoughts?
You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2008.  The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on.  Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew.  To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  This will get your post the attention it deserves.  Thank you.
I had the same problem that you all are discussing and it was completely solved when they found out it caused by an h-pylori virus (helicibacter pylori)  The dr. treated this with flagyl (which had harsh side effects for me) and a series of antibiotics.  It was a simple test run in the dr. office that took a matter of minutes.  I began to feel better very quickly - aside from the flagyl side effects.  I hope this helps some folks.  My e-mail address is ***@**** if anyone wants to ask anything further.  It might not be a cure for everyone, but it is worth looking in to.
Paige
Why can you not freely tell us  here on this page.That is what this person is asking for..Let me guess you'll tell us but it comes with a price tag .If you think you have a remedy,tell us,here,free,now.My husband is suffering this condition and if you know what it is please feel free to post it here..i'm sure others would appreciate it too.
I have sulfur burps ... about three times a year, had them two days ago with severe diarrhea so bad I could not make it to the bathroom, heartburn ... I had my gallbladder removed a year ago because the doctor said that is what it was ... but no the symptoms came back.  I do have gastropareses ... I think it is what causes this because the nerves in my stomach don't digest the food I eat correctly and it bloats, causes heartburn, pain, vomiting, diarrhea and sulfur burps!!  I have yet to find a cure but I just got the burps again an hour ago and started taking tums and will take a bottle of pepto and hope I make it safely through the night!
I get this too ad its awful I think mine is related t mustard and cumin seeds as it only generally occurs when I have accidEntly injested foods with these in them
Well after reading this, I feel like this is a problem I am going to have for the rest of my life. I am a 31 year old female. I had my 1st episode about 3 weeks ago. I was having severe pain in my abdomin (abdomen) in my lower right quadrant. Then My stomach filled with gas pressure. I thought I was having an appendix attack. I went to the doctor, where they tested that and my gall bladder. Nothing was wrong. This was followed up by sulpher burps and the worst diarrhea I've had. This lasted about 18 hours. I eventually chalked it up to a stomach flu. However, I am now stuck in my bed again with the same symptoms. Please help- I need some relief!!
OMG!!! I have been searching for an answer to my problems for sooo long. I also have the sulfur burps severe cramps and vomiting and yes i also took accutane yrs ago.
Dear skrapkat,
It has been a long time since you posted this but I noticed you had the exact same symptoms I had, including the hives.  You are the first person I have found on all of these sites that also got hives with these bouts.  I was wondering if you ever found out what you had.  I just spent 3 days in the hospital with severe dehydration and extremely high white blood cell count.  So I definitely had an infection, but they just don't know where it was because by the time I had to go the the hospital all of the other symptoms; horrible abdominal cramping, diarrhea, and vomiting; had gone away the night before. I did still have the hives when I was admitted.  I am not sure if you ever found out what was going on with you but if you did, could you please post a response to this.  Thanks so much.  Sincerely, Elizabeth from California.
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me, my son is 17 months old & he has just threw up yellow vomit which smelss really badly of egg & he keeps burping eggy burps. What could it be & what causes it? What could I do to help him? I'm takin him to the doctors first thing tomorrow morning but if anyone could help please Louise.
    I had sulpher burps that made me want to throw up each time I burped.  Also severe diarrhea.  Exhaustion and general weakness at times. Was diagnosed with Giardia.
   Doctor gave me a antibiotic regiment to follow (follow it ALL the way to the last pill).  Have not had any symptoms or the condition since. That was 12 years ago.
I took accutane for my acne over a period of 3 years and ever since i stopped taking the medication i have has gastrointestinal problems and have now been diagnosed with fructose malabsorption,IBS and i am constantly anemic. I definitely think there is a link.
I had eggy burps for a long time and went to a gastroenterologist, BILE IS THE CAUSE. many people get bile reflux and it tastes of suplhur/egg. I take a sachet of medicine called questran now whenever I get these burps and in five minutes I am fine. ( I am in Ireland so I don't know what this medicine is called in other places). Please don't waste you time and money like I did on other "cures" or thinking about other causes because excess bile is the cause. Hope this helps someone :)
I used to have them when I was young everytime I ate boiled eggs. So I stopped eating boiled eggs and never had them since. I eat fried and sometimes scrambled eggs and don't experience in any burbs related to the eggs whatsoever.
The sulfuric smell is from the yolk and it usually come about because you are consuming the yolk of the egg while it's still Intact, whether runny or well cooked. But once mixed in with the egg white, it's somewhat diluted and does not have the same effect.
Hope that helps.
My 2 year old son has been having bouts of these burps, gas, horrible stomach pains, and vomitting at night time.  It has happened six times in the past 2 1/2 months.  I dont know what to do, the dr.'s are telling me its reflux and I know it is not.  Any suggestions?
There is hope.  Try Now Foods:  Pancreatin and Digest Platinum; for kids try: Dairy Digest Complete;  these are digestive enzymes that help break down our food. Supplementing these enzymes has made a world of difference. Normally our body makes these enzymes, it appears because of diet our bodies aren't able to keep up production and suffering sets in. Best value I've found is www.iherb.com, use coupon hic791 to save $5. I use these everyday, it's the best alternatives I've found that works with the body and not against it like antacids and is required for me to stop the pain.

Also, consider and try the process outlined in The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse by Andreas Moritz. This process has proved valuable in helping with these digestive issues.
Best wishes
Correction for Children try: Now Foods, ChewyZymes.
Hello, and first of all, i'm so sorry to hear of everyone's troubles.  After reading extensively and thoroughly all of these posts.  it breaks my heart to hear of so much suffering.

but i too am having these problems. mine have been going on for 3 years now.  drs are stumped or think i'm crazy.  it seems that mine are quite severe when it happens and forcing myself to empty my stomach is a good way to reduce the severeness or stop it.  

in reading this, i think this problem can be caused by many different things.  mine seems to become worse with periods of stress or extreme anxiety, but not always.

i found a drs website on small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.  this is the website:

http://www.siboinfo.com/index.html

there is no mention of the sulfer tasting burps, but the way she describes this issue, seems to coincide with what happens to me.  *crossing my fingers*

any of you, please please please feel free to message me so we can narrow this down and maybe help each other as i am nearing the end of my search and feel like i'm losing hope.  i feel so sad for all of you and myself.
I am a 36 year old female and have suffered with this condition for the last 5 years now...i thought it might be a reaction to certain foods...but could never pinpoint anything?...recently my 13 year old son has been getting them as well?...Of all the things Ive tried I have got some relief using pepto bismol....I also suffered from gallbladder pain for years before it was recognized..I cant pinpoint it but I think the burps started shortly after I had my gallbladder removed....and as mentioned above I too was on accutane as a teen for one year at age 17?!!!!!
hi all

i used to suffer with egg burps when i was a child on and off for years i tried everything and nothing got rid of it, now im 29 and had not had it for years and years untill last week... my daughter who is one had a slight stomach upset for a few days but i put it down to her teething upseting her stomach, but then few days later i had egg burps in the night and then had the runs same yellowy colour as my daughter so i put it down to a stomach bug... now this morning had really bad burps and still have them now, hence why i researching it but the only thing i have also noticed is i had lots of toffee popcorn the other week and i had not had popcorn for years so i over indulged a bit then last night had massive bag of toffee porcorn (which i shared with husband) interestingly my husband also woke up with extreemly smelly flatulance. maybe a coincidence or maybe not. but on the flip side when i was younger and suffered with these burps (not good in maths class) i also used to eat quite a lot of popcorn but on another flipside i had thread worm as a child at least 6 times, after a while i got sick of taking the horid raspberry flavour "milkshake" medicine which just flushed you out, in the end i decide the only way to get rid of it was to not eat which kinda worked. thanks to this site i have just remembered a part of my teenage life that i had forgotten (starve not to be thin but to beat the burps) so all of you out there try avoid popcorn, starve all day (like i have today im well hungry) some other tips for you are... take gripe water its a baby colic remedy, try dentinox another baby colic remedy, also take imodium (immodium) instants even if no diorreah present something in it seems to help. i hope all of you find your own remedy i know how horrible the burps can be, p.s have you ever noticed that when you first walk into the cinema ( pictures) at first the smell of popcorn smells of sulphur!!??
My daughter at the age of 5 suffered from the same conditions. After seeing medical specialists all over New York State, and tons of testing they found out that is was severe constipation. My daughter was telling me she was going poop, but she really wasn't. She was afraid of going to the bathroom in school and would "hold it".  The problem was solved easily. The doctors told me to buy colace. An over the counter pill safe for children. It's taken orally, and It makes nice fluffy poop and they can't hold. Hope this helps. It solved our problem.
I have the same problem right at this moment. I cannot sleep, I don't throw up. I have had my gallbladder removed years ago. I also have Gord. The doctor gave me a course of antibiotics to get rid of the bacteria it worked for a while. Today I ate bread which was full of seeds and grain this feels like it is still sitting heavily in my gut. My room reeks from the expelled gas that is causes me to have a headache gross I know. If I can stomach it I usually have a warm cup o soup that seems to lessen the symptoms so I can sleep. Mind you it could just be I want it to work! It is also hard to make other people understand how you feel, so sick ,tired, depressed I ask my friends and family but they don't or never have had these symptoms so I thought it was just me. But now I have found this site I know I am not alone.
My 12 year old son is suffering horribly from the exact same thing, the rotten egg sulphur burps and also gets the cramping. He has developed extreme anxiety from this. He is in fear every day of getting these. We have had him to doctors and a pediatric gastrointestinologist have had no relief. Is there ANY ANY ANY suggestion at all to treat these or prevent them? Anything that has worked for anyone here?
Foods that contain sulfur include poultry, red meats, dairy products (specially milk),vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, watercress, yams, cabbage, onions, pack choi, mustard, parsley, onions, sweet potatoes, Swiss chard, tomatoes), legumes( peas, beans, soy, lentils, jicama, carob, alfalfa), avocadoes, bananas, watermelon, grain, nuts, seeds, tea and coffee, amino acids, whey proteins, Vitamins B1 and H. Certain medication may also contain sulfur.

Medical reasons: The most serious and common cause are Helicobacter Pylori or Giardia. Helicobacter Pylori is a bacterium that causes chronic gastritis, gastric ulcers, abdominal bloating, burping and heartburn. This can be diagnosed by a urea breath test and treated with antibiotics. Giardia is a one cell parasite that causes bloating, diarrhea, and foul smelling burps. Poor hygiene, unclean water sources and oral-fecal transmissions are ways these infections can enter the body. Sulfur burps could be a symptom of either infection.
Food reasons: The foods listed above all contain sulfur. This is also true for high protein diets. Acidity builds up when the stomach takes longer to process and expel a high protein meal. A chemical reaction occurs which creates hydrogen sulfide. This is also the reason why the body may feel bloated. The burps disappear once the hydrogen sulfide and protein is expelled.
Prescription Medication: These may also cause sulfur burps. The prescription label will list the ingredients. If any contain sulfur you will have found the reason behind the sulfur smell of your burps.
Other diseases: These include SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). This is when normal intestinal bacteria overgrows and causes burping, bloating, diarrhea or flatulence. SIBO may also be present in fructose malabsorption or lactose intolerance. In other diseases like Crohn's disease and celiac disease, food may not be digested completely and can be broken down by sulfur reducing bacteria that result in the production of hydrogen sulfide.
If you suffer from both sulfur burps and gas you may have a gallbladder or small intestinal problem. In this case, an endoscopy can be carried out to determine the cause. However, an endoscopy is not known to aggravate the condition.

I  personally believe that animal protiens and dairy are the biggest culprits here. It is much harder for the human body  to digest protiens from another species! Since I have cut animal products from my diet I have not suffered from those terrible burps for over a year now!
Sorry to say, gallstones...not the answer.  I had my gall bladder out over 10 years ago and I suffer from this debilitating condition on a regular basis.  I've been to doctors, none of which know what to do.  It's so frustrating when you start the first sulfur burp and you know what's coming for the next 10-12 hours.  The only thing that I have found that seems to help shorten the time the misery will last is to sit up straight as soon as the first burp occurs.  Do not lay down, even though it's the only thing you want to do.  It seems that staying in an upright position sometimes can stave off the vomiting.  I prop myself up in bed with pillows all around me so I can't lean over when I fall asleep.  I also get a very hard stomach.  It feels rock hard as the time progresses and it causes a lot of pain.  I have started doing bends and twists of my abdominal area while I sit on the edge of the bed.  I feel like it makes my abdomen start functioning again, because when I get it, it feels like my whole digestive system has shut down.   Hope this helps somebody out there.
I have had the same issues since I was 17. I'm now 29. They used to happen maybe 2x a yr and now I've had at least 3 so far this year. The last episode was Monday night through Tues. I've had 2 upper endoscopies and the drs have "ruled out" hpylori. I've had a hida scan and my gall bladder is fine. Now they are checking to see if I have celiac disease...this is so frustrating. When the episodes occur it really takes over my life :(
Just a random thought...are any of you blood type b?
I have the same thing. I have learned that at the very first sign, either a burp or a feeling of bloating...I immediately go and take Milk of Magnesia and I am able to fully ward off a full blown attack.  

Fatty foods rich in sugar are usually the cause.  Sometimes eggs.  You should keep a record of what you eat when you feel this coming on.  I use to have to make myself throw up to feel better but do not have to any more.

Just take the milk of magnesia the minute you feel it coming on and you should be fine.  It has worked for me for years.

God bless. I hope this helps.
i will second jennifer's recommendation. i used baking soda during my last attack (at the advice of a friend with the same condition) and it too warded off the full blown attack. i can't say for sure that this will always work or that it will work for everyone, but i have had this condition for over 15 years and i have never managed to abort an attack without vomiting like i did earlier this month.

i am assuming that both baking soda and milk of magnesia have the same mechanism of action since both are alkaline and serve to neutralize stomach acid.

i'm not sure what the best dosage is, but i used a heaping tablespoon of baking soda, fully dissolved in a small glass of water. (note that this is a good bit more than the dose recommended on the box of baking soda; a smaller dose might be adequate.) my condition improved drastically over the next 30 minutes. i could literally feel the bloating subside in waves of relief. after a couple hours i felt fine and was even able to start eating/drinking again (something i usually have to wait 12 hours to do).

when i think about all the misery i've experienced due to these attacks over the last 15 years, it's hard to believe it could have all been avoided with a $0.99 box of baking soda. needless to say, i will be carrying baking soda with me wherever i go from now on (the only caveat there being that a ziplock bag of baking soda looks an awful lot like a ziplock bag of something else, but i digress ...)
********* POSSIBLE SOLUTION *********

see the two posts above for a potential solution.

just wanted to flag them to make stand out a bit more.

-emory :)
My daughter - now 10 - has been experiencing this for about 5 years.  Same thing, off and on.  We've been monitoring her diet and know for sure that fatty meats and hot dogs are one of the causes but sometimes it's random.  This forum has helped with other possibilities.  We started down the GI/Nutritionist route last year but then it seemed to go away.  It's back again this year and we've started down the route again.  Thank you for all of your suggestions (testing, etc.) it has helped me build a list of possibilities to discuss with her doc and hopefully rule out some things.
Hello All,
I had never heard of these egg burps until my 10 year old daughter started experiencing them two years ago. I started googling and her experience seems to mirror that of most people posting on the internet. She has these foul sulphur burps, that are like farting from the mouth, which proceeds to stomach cramps and diarrhea, and ends with violent vomiting. The read somewhere that Alka Seltzer works so decided to give it a try. It definitely makes a difference but it has warnings on it for young children, particularly kids with ashma. It is similar to taking bi carb soda and the effect is immediate. We have managed to avoid the stomach cramps and vomiting which is fantastic, but still had some diarrhea, but it was manageable.
I hope this helps. I too was desperate for some sort of solution and I would have to say that Alka Seltzer works for us.  
My experiences with these "egg burps" began a long time ago, but they didn't happen very often. When my middle daughter came home one day she had thrown up at school and was suffering from this. It happened exactly a week later and then stopped for about a year. When she got into fifth grade she started becoming stressed from lots of different things and she got them just about every weekend. For a long time we thought it was stress related because I started getting them a lot more often when we were moving and my youngest daughter starting getting them occasionally, but maybe every few months. We thought our problems had ended when we moved, because for all we knew it could have been our very old house. When we got here we started out okay but the problems happened again, especially to me and my middle child. My husband has never gotten them so we pondered the idea that it could be genetic but reading all this we aren't sure at all anymore. It seems to happen randomly for my youngest, and randomly for me... but my middle child always gets it right after or before an extremely stressful situation and since she's in high school it is bound to happen even more often. She can deal with  stress, but this sickness often comes with it. All three of us miss a lot of school and work days and it constantly plagues us. The symptoms we get most often are: egg burps, diarrhea (terrible), headaches, bloated, heat flashes, and very rarely throw up anymore. It never seems to go away completely and it keeps  my daughters up at night. It's very energy draining though we don't usually drop in weight. Please, if anyone gets any information or have any new tips that aren't in any of the already existing discussions we would all appreciate it since we don't know any other family with this issue. Thank you.
I am reading this during one of these "sulfur" episodes.  And thought I'd share my input.  I am 29 years old had have been dealing with stomach issues since I could eat solid foods.  I would be sick (vomiting/diarrhea) 3-4x a week.  As I got older there were less and less foods that I could handle and digest safely.  While pregnant with my daughter in 06-07 I was put on a strict diet as my blood sugar was too high.  But still had my episodes during that time.
Last year it got so bad that I could only eat 3 foods: plain rice, plain potatoes and ramen.  Then, a little over a month ago my husband had to leave the state for work.  These were the worst two weeks of my life.  Any thing that I ate would come back up within 10 minutes of consuming food.
I have been to the er more times than I can remember for this issue (in the last 5 months I've been there 20 times) and they couldn't figure anything out.  Had a colonoscopy with an upper and lover gi.  Nothing.
Then, my ex's mother (who works in the gi field) recommended yet another specialist.  She was able to figure out that I have horrible anxiety attacks, which will cause the gut to completely shut down.  She prescribed me a medication that has a pain reliever/muscle relaxer for the intestines and colon with anxiety med.  I could finally eat again!
Until I had red meat.  My sulfur episodes will last up to 24 hours.  The first burp I am in the bathroom, making myself sick.  I know that mu stomach and colon are empty, but the taste, smell and doubled over pain is still there.  Pepto does not work.  I have tried 2 liters of water in one sitting and nothing.
I have another apt with the specialist in the morning, and will ask her what to do and post her answer here, as I now know I am not the only one suffering from this issue.        
Have you ever been tested for gastroparesis.   I have the same symptoms and was diagnosed with gastroparesis by a gastric emtying study....I have reflux, nausea, heartbburn, gerd, rotten egg burps.  No vomiting just extreme basses, abdominal pain, distended abdomin (abdomen)...feeling of fullness after eating small amont of food...talk to your gp or gastroenterologist.  Hope this helps.
Maurene
I have had this problem a few times over the past year or so. I usually take a large dose (5 or 6 big pills) of activated charcoal (get it at a natural food store or health store like GNC) as soon as the burps start, and it seems to get things back in order fairly quickly.

I have read posts from others about antacids sometimes working slowly and anti-histamines sometimes working, and I have a theory of what is happening and why charcoal works. I think what is happening is that some contaminant (possibly different contaminants in different individuals) is producing an auto-immune response in the stomach causing the pyloric valve to stay closed, trapping all the food in your stomach. The trapped food rots, becomes noxious, and produces toxins that eventually cause vomiting. In the normal course of the condition one would have to vomit until the original contaminants are removed so that the pyloric valve begins to function again. The charcoal works by acting as a filter in the stomach, absorbing both the toxins and the contaminants, thus allowing the pyloric valve to resume normal functions without the need to vomit. As soon as the valve begins functioning again the noxious burps end because the source has left the stomach. The diarrhea will still come because by the time the burps begin to smell the contents of the stomach are of no use to the rest of the GI tract and are passed through too quickly for the water to be reabsorbed in the colon. However, if you catch and treat the stomach problem early the intensity and duration of the diarrhea can also be reduced.

CAUTION: Activated charcoal should be used only as a remedy, not as a regimen. Prolonged use may cause malnutrition due to its absorbency robbing the body of nutrients from your food.

I am posting this here because I am curious as to whether this will work across the board or if it is just coincidental that it seems to work for me. If it only works for me than my theory is probably incorrect. Please post a reply if you try this and let me know if it works for you.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers