Gastroenterology Community
Chronic wet gas and mucus

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Chronic wet gas and mucus

I was on Accutane for nearly 8 months instead of the standard 5 month treatment.  During the last 2-3 months of treatment, I began telling my doctor about pain in my stomach.  He said it wasn't a problem and would resolve when I was done taking the drug.  Well, I have been off of Accutane nearly a year, and am still having digestive problems, which I've never had before.  I have had PERFECT digestion my whole life until this.  I am experiencing "wet" gas and a full, bloated feeling which makes me have to use the bathroom several times a day, no matter how I modify my diet. Furthermore, I am starting to see mucus in my stools.  By the way, I have never consumed milk products in my diet, so the standard advice to avoid milk wouldn't change anything.  I fear this drug has damaged my organs in some way, and have read that accutane/isotretinoin is associated with IBS.  However, these are the only symptoms I'm having--and am hoping there might be another explanation for my symptoms.  I'm scared.  Is any of this reversible?

This discussion is related to mucus in diarrhea.
I would see a gastroenterologist so that you can get directly to what is wrong.  Don't be scared, it may not even have anything to do with the Accutane, and was a coincidence that it happened while you were on it.  See a Gastro doc and get to the bottom of it so you can get back to normal and have peace of mind.  Take care....